Old 09-12-2010, 03:14 PM
Simon Woolf

Default Gvim is a blank, empty, grey window

Hi all,

Subject line says it all, really -- installed gvim, and on opening it, I get a
blank, empty, grey window: http://i.imgur.com/DUUIO.png .

That's if opening it normally; opened from a terminal, it prints:

(18816) KSharedDataCache::Private::mapSharedMemory: Opening cache
"/var/tmp/kdecache-simon/icon-cache.kcache" page size is 4096
(18816) KSharedDataCache::Private::mapSharedMemory: Attached to cache,
determining if it must be initialized
(18816) KSharedDataCache::Private::mapSharedMemory: Cache fully initialized --
attached to memory mapping
(18816) KSharedDataCache::Private::mapSharedMemory: 4636672 bytes available
out of 10485760

...And then nothing -- not even a grey window.

Reinstalling gvim & vim-runtime has no effect. I would try aur/vim-gtk
instead of extra/gvim, but it seems to be unbuildable -- one of the sources
gives a 404. If relevant, Arch is up to date, and is broadly KDE4.5 (with
compiz and bmpanel2 used in place of kwin and plasma).

Since I haven't heard anyone else have this problem with gvim, I assume it's
just me. Anyone had anything liike this before? Any ideas?

Thanks to all in advance.

Simon Woolf

Old 09-12-2010, 03:26 PM
Tavian Barnes

The KSharedDataCache info messages are probably a result of
gtk-qt-engine. Maybe try a different GTK theme?

--
Tavian Barnes

Old 09-12-2010, 03:53 PM
Simon Woolf

Yup, turning off gtk-qt-engine fixed it! Many thanks, Tavian.

Googling suggests this is known upstream:
http://code.google.com/p/gtk-qt-engine/issues/detail?id=51 .
For anyone else who runs across the same problem, the Ubuntu page for the bug
(#270972 in launchpad) also gives a nice workaround that allows gvim to work
perfectly well with gtk-qt-engine: `gvim -X`.

Thanks again,

Simon