Old 09-11-2010, 09:04 PM
Steve Holmes

Default Spell Checking in Emacs

I have emacs 23.2 running in a normal text console and am trying to
spell check using the ispell.el facility in the emacs lisp libraries.
I also installed aspell and espell-en packages to resolve the binary
program to be used by the emacs ispell function.

When I do any of the emacs commands like ispell-buffer or
ispell-region and the like, I keep getting a message in the prompt
line of emacs saying
"Text is read-only"
The buffer where I am testing this is most definitely not a read-only
buffer. I tested aspell out in a normal terminal on a test text file
and that seemed to work OK. Do I have to do anything else to get this
working right? I did not set up any config files for aspell; I'm not
sure if I have to or not.

Can anyone help me out?

Old 09-14-2010, 04:24 PM
Mathias Huber

Hi Steve,

> When I do any of the emacs commands like ispell-buffer or
> ispell-region and the like, I keep getting a message in the prompt
> line of emacs saying
> "Text is read-only"

That only concerns the contents auf the mini-buffer (where you enter
commands). Do you use backspace in the mini-buffer?

Do you do 'M-x ispell-change-dictionary' and select a dictionary, and
then 'M-x ispell-buffer'?

HTH,
Mathias

Old 09-14-2010, 04:50 PM
Steve Holmes

On Tue, Sep 14, 2010 at 06:24:11PM +0200, Mathias Huber wrote:
> Hi Steve,
>
> > When I do any of the emacs commands like ispell-buffer or
> > ispell-region and the like, I keep getting a message in the prompt
> > line of emacs saying
> > "Text is read-only"
>
> That only concerns the contents auf the mini-buffer (where you enter
> commands). Do you use backspace in the mini-buffer?

No, I type m-x followed by the commands I listed above. Right now,
I've been trying ispell-buffer where the buffer is a plain text file
with some text including intentionally miss-spelled words.

> Do you do 'M-x ispell-change-dictionary' and select a dictionary, and
> then 'M-x ispell-buffer'?

I usually just do the ispell-buffer or whatever. Once I tried the
change-dictionary command and hit enter to accept the current default.

I just tried to ispell-region on this very message I'm typing right
now and I still got the
Text is read-only
message. I've used ispell a long time ago without these problems but
now I can't use it at all! I can use aspell out in the text console
with no problem but it just won't work in emacs!

I don't understand what you mean about the error applying to the mini
buffer; I'm trying to spell check the main body, the text; not the
prompt.

Any other ideas why this isn't working?

Old 09-15-2010, 06:00 PM
Steve Holmes

Do I have to set up anything in advance in order to use ispell in
emacs with the aspell program? See the message below for the full
story. I can't get past this read-only problem.

Old 09-16-2010, 11:31 PM
Steve Holmes

I found some more information concerning the ispell problem with
emacs. It seems that if I do ispell-buffer, region, or word on clean
data (correctly spelled), I don't get any errors in the mini buffer
and in fact, ispell-word even tells me the word is correct. Fine -
that works as it should. However, as soon as there is a miss-spelled
word to report, then is when I get the error in the mini-buffer saying
that the text is read-only. It would appear that maybe ispell can't
open a buffer to display the word choices. I don't know emacs lisp
well enough to try and debug this thing but it's beginning to look
like nobody else here is getting the problem or doesn't use this
combination with emacs. Any other ideas out there?

Old 09-16-2010, 11:32 PM

Steve Holmes writes:
> Do I have to set up anything in advance in order to use ispell in
> emacs with the aspell program? See the message below for the full
> story. I can't get past this read-only problem.

(setq ispell-program-name (executable-find "aspell"))

HTH
--
Ashish SHUKLA | GPG: F682 CDCC 39DC 0FEA E116 20B6 C746 CFA9 E74F A4B0
freebsd.org!ashish | http://people.freebsd.org/~ashish/

Avoid Success At All Costs !!

Old 09-17-2010, 11:38 AM

Steve Holmes writes:
> I found some more information concerning the ispell problem with
> emacs. It seems that if I do ispell-buffer, region, or word on clean
> data (correctly spelled), I don't get any errors in the mini buffer
> and in fact, ispell-word even tells me the word is correct. Fine -
> that works as it should. However, as soon as there is a miss-spelled
> word to report, then is when I get the error in the mini-buffer saying
> that the text is read-only. It would appear that maybe ispell can't
> open a buffer to display the word choices. I don't know emacs lisp
> well enough to try and debug this thing but it's beginning to look
> like nobody else here is getting the problem or doesn't use this
> combination with emacs. Any other ideas out there?

Try flyspell-mode[1]. AFAIK, it's bundled with Emacs 23 or later.