Old 09-17-2010, 01:23 PM
Steve Holmes

Default Spell Checking in Emacs

On Fri, Sep 17, 2010 at 05:02:24AM +0530, Ashish SHUKLA wrote:
> Steve Holmes writes:
> > Do I have to set up anything in advance in order to use ispell in
> > emacs with the aspell program? See the message below for the full
> > story. I can't get past this read-only problem.
>
> (setq ispell-program-name (executable-find "aspell"))

That fixed it! It seems that the documentation I followed, suggested a
different setting to specify the aspell binary but this setting you
gave me enables it to work properly now. Thanks and sorry for the repeated
queries to the list; I thought there might have been a problem with
how it was implemented with Arch.

So Now i'm off to write those perfectly spelled e-mails. <smile>

Old 09-18-2010, 01:40 AM

Steve Holmes writes:
> On Fri, Sep 17, 2010 at 05:02:24AM +0530, Ashish SHUKLA wrote:
>> Steve Holmes writes:
>> > Do I have to set up anything in advance in order to use ispell in
>> > emacs with the aspell program? See the message below for the full
>> > story. I can't get past this read-only problem.
>>
>> (setq ispell-program-name (executable-find "aspell"))

> That fixed it! It seems that the documentation I followed, suggested a
> different setting to specify the aspell binary but this setting you
> gave me enables it to work properly now. Thanks and sorry for the repeated
> queries to the list; I thought there might have been a problem with
> how it was implemented with Arch.

> So Now i'm off to write those perfectly spelled e-mails. <smile>

Use flyspell to make it comfortable .

--
Ashish SHUKLA | GPG: F682 CDCC 39DC 0FEA E116 20B6 C746 CFA9 E74F A4B0
freebsd.org!ashish | http://people.freebsd.org/~ashish/

Avoid Success At All Costs !!

Old 10-20-2010, 08:47 PM
Rthoreau

wahjava.ml@gmail.com (Ashish SHUKLA) writes:

> Steve Holmes writes:
>>>
>>> (setq ispell-program-name (executable-find "aspell"))
>
>> That fixed it! It seems that the documentation I followed, suggested a
>> different setting to specify the aspell binary but this setting you
>> gave me enables it to work properly now. Thanks and sorry for the repeated
>> queries to the list; I thought there might have been a problem with
>> how it was implemented with Arch.
>
>> So Now i'm off to write those perfectly spelled e-mails. <smile>
>
> Use flyspell to make it comfortable .

As some people know using flyspell with some modes are not fully
supported. I know that flyspell with enriched mode used to give people
problems but I believe that has been fixed.

What would be ideal is to get Hunspell working if you follow the
emacswiki I still do not have a valid Hunspell working on two operating
systems. One being Arch, the other OpenIndiana so I had to resort back
to aspell for both.

A little while ago I was thinking about filing a bug report against
emacs and Hunspell for that very reason but haven't had the time to do
so.

Rthoreau

Old 10-21-2010, 01:52 PM
Frédéric Perrin

Le mercredi 20 à 22:47, Rthoreau a écrit :
> What would be ideal is to get Hunspell working if you follow the
> emacswiki I still do not have a valid Hunspell working on two operating
> systems. One being Arch, the other OpenIndiana so I had to resort back
> to aspell for both.

Is the problem that you are sharing you .emacs between the two OSs, but
Hunspell is available on only one? In that case, what about:

(if (string-match "-ARCH" operating-system-release)
(use hunspell)
(fallback to aspell))

Or:

(if (executable-find "hunspell")
(use hunspell...)
(fallback to aspell))

--
Fred

Old 10-21-2010, 02:30 PM
Rthoreau

Frédéric Perrin <frederic.perrin@resel.fr> writes:

> Le mercredi 20 à 22:47, Rthoreau a écrit :
>> What would be ideal is to get Hunspell working if you follow the
>> emacswiki I still do not have a valid Hunspell working on two operating
>> systems. One being Arch, the other OpenIndiana so I had to resort back
>> to aspell for both.
>
> Is the problem that you are sharing you .emacs between the two OSs, but
> Hunspell is available on only one? In that case, what about:
>
> (if (string-match "-ARCH" operating-system-release)
> (use hunspell)
> (fallback to aspell))
>
> Or:
>
> (if (executable-find "hunspell")
> (use hunspell...)
> (fallback to aspell))

Here is the link I was referring too, I actually have two spell checkers
one is Hunspell the other is Aspell. Hunspell works great on the command
line but is still borked in emacs.

Of course I get a similar problem in Arch, but with function unfound if
I copy the examples out of the emacswiki my .emacs file will not even
run due to errors, not to mention even if it is tweaked to my
configuration.

http://opensolaris.org/jive/thread.jspa?threadID=107384

If you try to spell check a word by using "M-x ispell-word", you get the error message "ispell-get-word: Wrong type argument: stringp, nil". "M-x ispell-buffer" produces

Spell checking test-buffer using hunspell with en-US dictionary...
Spell-checking using hunspell with en-US dictionary done
ispell-get-line: Wrong type argument: stringp, nil

So if anyone has a valid .emacs hunspell under Arch let me know as of
yet I have no idea as to why Hunspell won't work. That is why I use
Aspell at the moment.

Rthoreau