Old 09-10-2010, 05:00 PM
Carlos Mennens

Default Unable to Start PostgreSQL

When I installed the latest version of PostgreSQL today, I attempted
to start the daemon so I could login and start creating databases but
received the following error:

[root@buster ~]# /etc/rc.d/postgresql start
:: Starting PostgreSQL
[BUSY] su: warning: cannot change directory to
/var/lib/postgres: Permission denied
could not change directory to "/root"
pg_ctl: could not open PID file
"/var/lib/postgres/data/postmaster.pid": Permission denied

[FAIL]

Anyone know what I am doing wrong? This is a brand new server and
fresh install of both Arch & PostgreSQL.

Old 09-10-2010, 05:11 PM
Byron Clark

https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/16507

--
Byron Clark

Old 09-11-2010, 05:39 PM
Carlos Mennens

On Fri, Sep 10, 2010 at 1:11 PM, Byron Clark <byron@theclarkfamily.name> wrote:
> On 09/10/10 at 01:00pm, Carlos Mennens wrote:
>> Anyone know what I am doing wrong? This is a brand new server and
>> fresh install of both Arch & PostgreSQL.
>
> https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/16507

Wow - I just checked that ticket and was shocked. It appears that
PostgreSQL is just flat out broken and doesn't work when installed on
Arch Linux, right? Is there a work around or anything or do I simply
have to wait until the developers resolve this issue before I can
start and run a PostgreSQL server on Arch Linux?

Thanks for bug link!

Old 09-11-2010, 06:13 PM
Stefan Husmann

Am 11.09.2010 19:39, schrieb Carlos Mennens:
> On Fri, Sep 10, 2010 at 1:11 PM, Byron Clark <byron@theclarkfamily.name> wrote:
>> On 09/10/10 at 01:00pm, Carlos Mennens wrote:
>>> Anyone know what I am doing wrong? This is a brand new server and
>>> fresh install of both Arch & PostgreSQL.
>>
>> https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/16507
>
> Wow - I just checked that ticket and was shocked. It appears that
> PostgreSQL is just flat out broken and doesn't work when installed on
> Arch Linux, right? Is there a work around or anything or do I simply
> have to wait until the developers resolve this issue before I can
> start and run a PostgreSQL server on Arch Linux?
>
> Thanks for bug link!

Well, there are possible workaraonds in the comments of the bug report.

Regards Stefan

Old 09-11-2010, 11:33 PM
Carlos Mennens

On Sat, Sep 11, 2010 at 2:13 PM, Stefan Husmann
<stefan-husmann@t-online.de> wrote:
> Well, there are possible workaraonds in the comments of the bug report.
>
> Regards Stefan

Yeah I couldn't get them to work so I was super disappointed because I
don't want to use Debian but I need a PostgreSQL server ASAP and can't
wait for developers to patch this bug at their convenience.

Old 09-11-2010, 11:56 PM
Ty John

On Sat, 11 Sep 2010 19:33:04 -0400
Carlos Mennens <carloswill@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Sep 11, 2010 at 2:13 PM, Stefan Husmann
> <stefan-husmann@t-online.de> wrote:
> > Well, there are possible workaraonds in the comments of the bug
> > report.
> >
> > Regards Stefan
>
> Yeah I couldn't get them to work so I was super disappointed because I
> don't want to use Debian but I need a PostgreSQL server ASAP and can't
> wait for developers to patch this bug at their convenience.

You can't just chown the directory in question?

Old 09-11-2010, 11:58 PM
C Anthony Risinger

On Sat, Sep 11, 2010 at 6:33 PM, Carlos Mennens <carloswill@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 11, 2010 at 2:13 PM, Stefan Husmann
> <stefan-husmann@t-online.de> wrote:
>> Well, there are possible workaraonds in the comments of the bug report.
>>
>> Regards Stefan
>
> Yeah I couldn't get them to work so I was super disappointed because I
> don't want to use Debian but I need a PostgreSQL server ASAP and can't
> wait for developers to patch this bug at their convenience.

it's just a permissions problem...

# chown -R postgres.postgres /var/lib/postgres

and done?

C Anthony