Old 09-10-2010, 06:17 AM
Auguste Pop

Default why is sage-mathematics so huge?

Hi,

I just noticed that there is a sage-mathematics package in community
repository and tried to install it and found out that the package is
really huge.

I understand that sage is always shipped in a gigantic bundle, but the
arch package is considerably larger than official packages provided
for other Linux distributions. For lzma compressed archives, they are
typically around 330MB, while the arch package is about 630MB. Why is
the package so big? I have just noticed that the arch version is
4.5.3, the version on its official site is still 4.5.2. Is this the
reason for the big package?

Thank you for your kind attention.

Yours,

Old 09-10-2010, 01:41 PM
Thomas Dziedzic

On Fri, Sep 10, 2010 at 1:17 AM, Auguste Pop <auguste@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just noticed that there is a sage-mathematics package in community
> repository and tried to install it and found out that the package is
> really huge.
>
> I understand that sage is always shipped in a gigantic bundle, but the
> arch package is considerably larger than official packages provided
> for other Linux distributions. For lzma compressed archives, they are
> typically around 330MB, while the arch package is about 630MB. Why is
> the package so big? I have just noticed that the arch version is
> 4.5.3, the version on its official site is still 4.5.2. Is this the
> reason for the big package?
>
> Thank you for your kind attention.
>
> Yours,

Hi Auguste,

I don't know the exact answer to this question, but I think I may know why.
Currently, sage keeps all the spkgs in the package.
Also it is built with fat binaries although this itself probably
doesn't add such a significant amount.
I'll investigate this and let you know.

Old 09-10-2010, 10:07 PM
Thomas Dziedzic

On Fri, Sep 10, 2010 at 8:41 AM, Thomas Dziedzic <gostrc@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 10, 2010 at 1:17 AM, Auguste Pop <auguste@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I just noticed that there is a sage-mathematics package in community
>> repository and tried to install it and found out that the package is
>> really huge.
>>
>> I understand that sage is always shipped in a gigantic bundle, but the
>> arch package is considerably larger than official packages provided
>> for other Linux distributions. For lzma compressed archives, they are
>> typically around 330MB, while the arch package is about 630MB. Why is
>> the package so big? I have just noticed that the arch version is
>> 4.5.3, the version on its official site is still 4.5.2. Is this the
>> reason for the big package?
>>
>> Thank you for your kind attention.
>>
>> Yours,
>>

> Hi Auguste,
>
> I don't know the exact answer to this question, but I think I may know why.
> Currently, sage keeps all the spkgs in the package.
> Also it is built with fat binaries although this itself probably
> doesn't add such a significant amount.
> I'll investigate this and let you know.

Back with some results

I have gone through the directory to see what made it so big, and I
realized my initial suspicions were correct.
I have removed about 300mb of spkgs (compressed) and a lot of extraneous logs.
The changes are already in trunk along with a few other bug fixes.
Changes should be visible for the next sage release (4.6).

Thanks for your interest!