Old 09-10-2010, 05:07 AM
Галымжан Кожаев

Default Removing HAL

Hi list.
Few days ago I've succesfully installed arch. It was booting really fast
first time (i.e. without gnome, networkmanager, etc).
After installing GNOME and some daemons, adding them to the rc.conf, the
system now takes 30-40 seconds to load.
I heard that HAL daemon takes a lot of time during boot and it's
functionality can be replaced by udev.
How could I completely remove HAL and still use GNOME without troubles? Is
it possible?
I have:
- GNOME 2.30
- xorg 1.8
- hal 0.5

--
2b || !2b

Old 09-10-2010, 06:09 AM
Ng Oon-Ee

On Fri, 2010-09-10 at 11:07 +0600, Галымжан Кожаев wrote:
> Hi list.
> Few days ago I've succesfully installed arch. It was booting really fast
> first time (i.e. without gnome, networkmanager, etc).
> After installing GNOME and some daemons, adding them to the rc.conf, the
> system now takes 30-40 seconds to load.
> I heard that HAL daemon takes a lot of time during boot and it's
> functionality can be replaced by udev.
> How could I completely remove HAL and still use GNOME without troubles? Is
> it possible?
> I have:
> - GNOME 2.30
> - xorg 1.8
> - hal 0.5

Gnome is what is taking ages to load, there's not much you can do about
it. Hal dependencies will be removed eventually (I don't use it on Gnome
myself) but the problem isn't Hal.

Old 09-10-2010, 06:44 AM
Ionuț Bîru

On 09/10/2010 08:07 AM, Галымжан Кожаев wrote:

Hi list.
Few days ago I've succesfully installed arch. It was booting really fast
first time (i.e. without gnome, networkmanager, etc).
After installing GNOME and some daemons, adding them to the rc.conf, the
system now takes 30-40 seconds to load.
I heard that HAL daemon takes a lot of time during boot and it's
functionality can be replaced by udev.
How could I completely remove HAL and still use GNOME without troubles? Is
it possible?
I have:
- GNOME 2.30
- xorg 1.8
- hal 0.5

something is screwed in your system. it should be that slow. Like i
starting point, check to see if the hostname is the same after booting
into gnome and check /etc/hosts

--
Ionuț

Old 09-10-2010, 07:44 AM
Jan de Groot

On Fri, 2010-09-10 at 11:07 +0600, Галымжан Кожаев wrote:
> Hi list.
> Few days ago I've succesfully installed arch. It was booting really fast
> first time (i.e. without gnome, networkmanager, etc).
> After installing GNOME and some daemons, adding them to the rc.conf, the
> system now takes 30-40 seconds to load.
> I heard that HAL daemon takes a lot of time during boot and it's
> functionality can be replaced by udev.
> How could I completely remove HAL and still use GNOME without troubles? Is
> it possible?
> I have:
> - GNOME 2.30
> - xorg 1.8
> - hal 0.5

You can remove HAL from DAEMONS, as GNOME doesn't use it. Only gnome-vfs
enabled applications can still use it, but GNOME itself doesn't contain
such applications anymore.

Old 09-10-2010, 07:58 AM
Галымжан Кожаев

Thanks for the replies. I added hal daemon to the DAEMONS list
according to this wiki page:
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GNOME#Daemons_and_modules_needed_by_GNOME
How does GNOME deal with USB flashdrive detection, etc without HAL ?

--
2b || !2b

Old 09-10-2010, 11:57 AM
"Ivan S. Freitas"

2010/9/10 Галымжан Кожаев <kozhayev@gmail.com>:
> Thanks for the replies. I added hal daemon to the DAEMONS list
> according to this wiki page:
> http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GNOME#Daemons_and_modules_needed_by_GNOME
> How does GNOME deal with USB flashdrive detection, etc without HAL ?

udev should take care of it. But, IMHO, it's not hal that is slowing
your boot, unless you use a very old computer.

> 2010/9/10 Jan de Groot <jan@jgc.homeip.net>
>>
>> On Fri, 2010-09-10 at 11:07 +0600, Галымжан Кожаев wrote:
>> > Hi list.
>> > Few days ago I've succesfully installed arch. It was booting really fast
>> > first time (i.e. without gnome, networkmanager, etc).
>> > After installing GNOME and some daemons, adding them to the rc.conf, the
>> > system now takes 30-40 seconds to load.
>> > I heard that HAL daemon takes a lot of time during boot and it's
>> > functionality can be replaced by udev.
>> > How could I completely remove HAL and still use GNOME without troubles? Is
>> > it possible?
>> > I have:
>> > - GNOME 2.30
>> > - xorg 1.8
>> > - hal 0.5
>>
>> You can remove HAL from DAEMONS, as GNOME doesn't use it. Only gnome-vfs
>> enabled applications can still use it, but GNOME itself doesn't contain
>> such applications anymore.
>>

> --
> 2b || !2b

Ivan Sichmann Freitas
Engenharia de Computação 2009
UNICAMP
http://identi.ca/ivansichmann
Grupo Pró Software Livre UNICAMP - GPSL

Old 09-10-2010, 07:33 PM
Галымжан Кожаев

I disabled hal, seems everything works fine. This reduced loading time
for 4-5 seconds. gnome-vfs depends on hal package, does it mean that I
can't totally remove hal from my system?