FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > ArchLinux > ArchLinux General Discussion

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 09-09-2010, 12:40 PM
Fess
 
Default 'Local mirror' page was removed from wiki

Page "Local mirros" was removed from wiki by this reason:

-----
It is generally frowned upon to create a local mirror due the bandwidth that is required.
There is not a good reason to create a local mirror, since one of the alternatives below will likely meet your needs.
-----

I think it's very useful ability, and why this page was removed... i don't know. It's silly.
If anyone else think it must be return - maybe we should do it?

P.S.

A lot of guys agreed with me this morning, so i think many people want this article back.
--
 
Old 09-09-2010, 12:55 PM
Evangelos Foutras
 
Default 'Local mirror' page was removed from wiki

On Thu, Sep 9, 2010 at 3:40 PM, Fess <killall_humans@lavabit.com> wrote:
> Page "Local mirros" was removed from wiki by this reason:
>
> -----
> It is generally frowned upon to create a local mirror due the bandwidth that is required.
> There is not a good reason to create a local mirror, since one of the alternatives below will likely meet your needs.
> -----
>
> I think it's very useful ability, and why this page was removed... i don't know. It's silly.
> If anyone else think it must be return - maybe we should do it?
>
> P.S.
>
> A lot of guys agreed with me this morning, so i think many people want this article back.
> --

I agree with the reasoning, I disagree with the content removal. : D
 
Old 09-09-2010, 01:11 PM
Pierre Schmitz
 
Default 'Local mirror' page was removed from wiki

On Thu, 9 Sep 2010 15:55:35 +0300, Evangelos Foutras
<foutrelis@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 9, 2010 at 3:40 PM, Fess <killall_humans@lavabit.com> wrote:
>> Page "Local mirros" was removed from wiki by this reason:
>>
>> -----
>> It is generally frowned upon to create a local mirror due the bandwidth that is required.
>> There is not a good reason to create a local mirror, since one of the alternatives below will likely meet your needs.
>> -----
>>
>> I think it's very useful ability, and why this page was removed... i don't know. It's silly.
>> If anyone else think it must be return - maybe we should do it?
>>
>> P.S.
>>
>> A lot of guys agreed with me this morning, so i think many people want this article back.
>> --
>
> I agree with the reasoning, I disagree with the content removal. : D

See https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=103987 The original
article was just wrong and causing us problems. Feel free to add an
improved one.

--
Pierre Schmitz, https://users.archlinux.de/~pierre
 
Old 09-09-2010, 01:35 PM
Nathan Wayde
 
Default 'Local mirror' page was removed from wiki

On 09/09/10 14:11, Pierre Schmitz wrote:

On Thu, 9 Sep 2010 15:55:35 +0300, Evangelos Foutras
<foutrelis@gmail.com> wrote:

On Thu, Sep 9, 2010 at 3:40 PM, Fess<killall_humans@lavabit.com> wrote:

Page "Local mirros" was removed from wiki by this reason:

-----
It is generally frowned upon to create a local mirror due the bandwidth that is required.
There is not a good reason to create a local mirror, since one of the alternatives below will likely meet your needs.
-----

I think it's very useful ability, and why this page was removed... i don't know. It's silly.
If anyone else think it must be return - maybe we should do it?

P.S.

A lot of guys agreed with me this morning, so i think many people want this article back.
--


I agree with the reasoning, I disagree with the content removal. : D


See https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=103987 The original
article was just wrong and causing us problems. Feel free to add an
improved one.



If the script was broken or it caused problems it wouldn't hurt to state
what these problems. Correct me if I'm something here but I have idea
what these problems were. If the script caused problems then what stops
someone creating their own script that works the same way?


IMHO the text posted is likely worse than what was there before since it
just makes a bunch of claims with no info.
 
Old 09-12-2010, 09:00 AM
"David C. Rankin"
 
Default 'Local mirror' page was removed from wiki

On 09/09/2010 07:40 AM, Fess wrote:

Page "Local mirros" was removed from wiki by this reason:

-----
It is generally frowned upon to create a local mirror due the bandwidth that is required.
There is not a good reason to create a local mirror, since one of the alternatives below will likely meet your needs.
-----

I think it's very useful ability, and why this page was removed... i don't know. It's silly.
If anyone else think it must be return - maybe we should do it?

P.S.

A lot of guys agreed with me this morning, so i think many people want this article back.


I looked into an Arch local 'mirror/repo' when I started using Arch, similar to
what I used to maintain for my SuSE installs. (the local mirror page was a mess
and wrong then as well) However, since Arch will check for the presence of
packages in /var/cache/pacman/pkg before/(instead of) re-downloading the
packages, for local network boxes, it was just easier to use rsync to grab the
packages from whatever box did the most recent update and transfer then to the
nextbox you need to update (same architecture only).


The only caveat is you need a way to manage duplicate (old packages) in
/var/cache/pacman/pkg so I came up with a script that does that.


So instead of worrying about a 'local mirror', just:

(1) rsync -uav updatedbox:/var/cache/pacman/pkg nextbox:/var/cache/pacman

(2) grab the following 2 scripts:

(the wrapper script that calls the main script [twice - see why below])
http://www.3111skyline.com/dl/Archlinux/scripts/fduparch.sh

(the main duplicate identification and removal script)
http://www.3111skyline.com/dl/Archlinux/scripts/fduppkg

Put them both in /usr/local/bin (or link them there), edit fduparch.sh and
change the directories you want the duplicates from /var/cache/pacman/pkg moved
to (default is /home/backup/pkg-old and for the second pass to
/home/backup/pkg-older). Then after updating one box, just call fduparch.sh (the
wrapper script) as root and the duplicates in /var/cache/pacman/pkg are moved as
follows:


Pass 1:
/var/cache/pacman/pkg => /home/backup/pkg-old

Pass 2:
/home/backup/pkg-old => /home/backup/pkg-older

Which leaves you with the current set of packages in:
/var/cache/pacman/pkg

The last used packages before update in:
/home/backup/pkg-old

And finally all older packages in:
/home/backup/pkg-older

which can be deleted or archived. (of course you can delete the packages in
/home/backup/pkg-old if you like as well)


NOTE: the duplicate removal script uses the file ctime and/or mtime to determine
which is the newer package, so when copying machine to machine with rsync, make
sure you preserve the file attributes. (rsync's -a option works fine).


Once you set this up, maintaining a local set of packages is a breeze, just:

(1) pacman -Syu as normal on one box (works the same for new installs too)
(2) fduparch.sh (as root to remove the older versions of new packages)
(3) rsync -uav updatedbox:/var/cache/pacman/pkg nextbox:/var/cache/pacman
(only for boxes of the same architecture of course)
(4) pacman -Syu on the box you rsync'ed the packages to (nextbox)
(5) call fduparch.sh on the box you just updated (nextbox), and so on, and so on...

As long as your boxes have reasonably similar packages installed, this
eliminates 90+% of re-downloading, takes no additional bandwidth because you
have to download the updated packages once anyway, and is simple enough for me
to manage so you guy will have no problems with it


And if you wanted to get even more creative, you could simply write a script on
your main box that you update to automate the entire process for all your local
boxes using nothing more than rsync and ssh calls of run the updates and dup
removal scripts. (I haven't been that creative yet) Just remember to separate
your boxes into groups/classes by architecture (i686 & x86_64)


Cheers.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC
510 Ochiltree Street
Nacogdoches, Texas 75961
Telephone: (936) 715-9333
Facsimile: (936) 715-9339
www.rankinlawfirm.com
 
Old 09-13-2010, 07:10 PM
"David C. Rankin"
 
Default 'Local mirror' page was removed from wiki

On 09/12/2010 09:44 AM, Steve Holmes wrote:

Hey David,

Thanks for the suggestion; when it comes to learning more about how to
do more with and get more out of the Arch environment, I'm all ears.
I'm keeping this message here for future reference when I might need
to maintain several machines under an Arch repo. This is cool indeed.



Thanks,

Between home and office, I have 10-12 Arch boxes now. (I think I only have 3
suse boxes left). Finding a way to eliminate 300M downloads was a priority. With
Arch, it was easier than I expected. (of course I needed help from the list to
figure that out ;-) So I'm glad to help. After 1.5 years with Arch and even
going through the pacman tar.gz to tar.xz changes, there are probably only 10-20
packages that I have had to manually move manually. (verses over 10,000+ that
have passed through /var/cache/pacman/pkg)


I do really full installs of Arch with many desktops (kde3, kde4, iceWM,
fluxbox, openbox WindowMaker, Gnome, enlightenment e16 and e17) and full
openOffice and compilation tools, etc.. and total packages per box run from
~2200 to ~2800 (for full-server installs). A simple way to manage updates
between boxes over the LAN w/o having to re-download over the Internet is worth
it's weight in gold. Especially at the office where 'business internet
bandwidth' cost is ~ 5x the residential cost. (no wonder the US is losing its
competitive edge).


Anyway, glad I could help with the idea. Put it in your hip pocket for when you
have multiple boxes. This simple little setup works like a champ.


Also, as a final tip, if you don't currently use 'basket notepads' to keep your
Arch/Linux notes squirreled away in. Give it a look. Even if you don't use kde3
or kde4, it's worth loading the runtime and installing basket notepads. (I'm
running fluxbox right now and basket works just fine) It's like a flexible
second brain for any type of notes/sounds/colors/images/etc.. (I try to limit it
to text notes just to minimize the size) Here is a quick screenshot of some of
what I use basket for to give you an idea of what it is and what you can do with it:


http://www.3111skyline.com/dl/img/misc/basket-example.jpg

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC
510 Ochiltree Street
Nacogdoches, Texas 75961
Telephone: (936) 715-9333
Facsimile: (936) 715-9339
www.rankinlawfirm.com
 
Old 09-14-2010, 01:13 PM
Fess
 
Default 'Local mirror' page was removed from wiki

On 04:00 Sun 12 Sep , David C. Rankin wrote:
> On 09/09/2010 07:40 AM, Fess wrote:
>> Page "Local mirros" was removed from wiki by this reason:
>>
>> -----
>> It is generally frowned upon to create a local mirror due the bandwidth that is required.
>> There is not a good reason to create a local mirror, since one of the alternatives below will likely meet your needs.
>> -----
>>
>> I think it's very useful ability, and why this page was removed... i don't know. It's silly.
>> If anyone else think it must be return - maybe we should do it?
>>
>> P.S.
>>
>> A lot of guys agreed with me this morning, so i think many people want this article back.
>
> I looked into an Arch local 'mirror/repo' when I started using Arch,
> similar to what I used to maintain for my SuSE installs. (the local
> mirror page was a mess and wrong then as well) However, since Arch will
> check for the presence of packages in /var/cache/pacman/pkg
> before/(instead of) re-downloading the packages, for local network boxes,
> it was just easier to use rsync to grab the packages from whatever box
> did the most recent update and transfer then to the nextbox you need to
> update (same architecture only).
>
> The only caveat is you need a way to manage duplicate (old packages) in
> /var/cache/pacman/pkg so I came up with a script that does that.
>
> So instead of worrying about a 'local mirror', just:
>
> (1) rsync -uav updatedbox:/var/cache/pacman/pkg nextbox:/var/cache/pacman
>
> (2) grab the following 2 scripts:
>
> (the wrapper script that calls the main script [twice - see why below])
> http://www.3111skyline.com/dl/Archlinux/scripts/fduparch.sh
>
> (the main duplicate identification and removal script)
> http://www.3111skyline.com/dl/Archlinux/scripts/fduppkg
>
> Put them both in /usr/local/bin (or link them there), edit fduparch.sh
> and change the directories you want the duplicates from
> /var/cache/pacman/pkg moved to (default is /home/backup/pkg-old and for
> the second pass to /home/backup/pkg-older). Then after updating one box,
> just call fduparch.sh (the wrapper script) as root and the duplicates in
> /var/cache/pacman/pkg are moved as follows:
>
> Pass 1:
> /var/cache/pacman/pkg => /home/backup/pkg-old
>
> Pass 2:
> /home/backup/pkg-old => /home/backup/pkg-older
>
> Which leaves you with the current set of packages in:
> /var/cache/pacman/pkg
>
> The last used packages before update in:
> /home/backup/pkg-old
>
> And finally all older packages in:
> /home/backup/pkg-older
>
> which can be deleted or archived. (of course you can delete the packages
> in /home/backup/pkg-old if you like as well)
>
> NOTE: the duplicate removal script uses the file ctime and/or mtime to
> determine which is the newer package, so when copying machine to machine
> with rsync, make sure you preserve the file attributes. (rsync's -a
> option works fine).
>
> Once you set this up, maintaining a local set of packages is a breeze, just:
>
> (1) pacman -Syu as normal on one box (works the same for new installs too)
> (2) fduparch.sh (as root to remove the older versions of new packages)
> (3) rsync -uav updatedbox:/var/cache/pacman/pkg nextbox:/var/cache/pacman
> (only for boxes of the same architecture of course)
> (4) pacman -Syu on the box you rsync'ed the packages to (nextbox)
> (5) call fduparch.sh on the box you just updated (nextbox), and so on, and so on...
>
> As long as your boxes have reasonably similar packages installed, this
> eliminates 90+% of re-downloading, takes no additional bandwidth because
> you have to download the updated packages once anyway, and is simple
> enough for me to manage so you guy will have no problems with it
>
> And if you wanted to get even more creative, you could simply write a
> script on your main box that you update to automate the entire process
> for all your local boxes using nothing more than rsync and ssh calls of
> run the updates and dup removal scripts. (I haven't been that creative
> yet) Just remember to separate your boxes into groups/classes by
> architecture (i686 & x86_64)
>
> Cheers.
>
> --
> David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
> Rankin Law Firm, PLLC
> 510 Ochiltree Street
> Nacogdoches, Texas 75961
> Telephone: (936) 715-9333
> Facsimile: (936) 715-9339
> www.rankinlawfirm.com



err.. what?
Don't you think, that mirrorsync in crontab is MUCH more easier way to get new packages, huh?
I'm using local mirror for 3 years and i have no idea why i shoulnd't use it know.

P.S.

If you have local mirror, you won't worry about 3-4 another GB's. You just download some less porn. Less porn -> more profit.
--
 
Old 09-14-2010, 01:20 PM
reflexing
 
Default 'Local mirror' page was removed from wiki

On Tue, Sep 14, 2010 at 7:13 PM, Fess <killall_humans@lavabit.com> wrote:

> On 04:00 Sun 12 Sep , David C. Rankin wrote:
> > On 09/09/2010 07:40 AM, Fess wrote:
> >> Page "Local mirros" was removed from wiki by this reason:
> >>
> >> -----
> >> It is generally frowned upon to create a local mirror due the bandwidth
> that is required.
> >> There is not a good reason to create a local mirror, since one of the
> alternatives below will likely meet your needs.
> >> -----
> >>
> >> I think it's very useful ability, and why this page was removed... i
> don't know. It's silly.
> >> If anyone else think it must be return - maybe we should do it?
> >>
> >> P.S.
> >>
> >> A lot of guys agreed with me this morning, so i think many people want
> this article back.
> >
> > I looked into an Arch local 'mirror/repo' when I started using Arch,
> > similar to what I used to maintain for my SuSE installs. (the local
> > mirror page was a mess and wrong then as well) However, since Arch will
> > check for the presence of packages in /var/cache/pacman/pkg
> > before/(instead of) re-downloading the packages, for local network boxes,
> > it was just easier to use rsync to grab the packages from whatever box
> > did the most recent update and transfer then to the nextbox you need to
> > update (same architecture only).
> >
> > The only caveat is you need a way to manage duplicate (old packages) in
> > /var/cache/pacman/pkg so I came up with a script that does that.
> >
> > So instead of worrying about a 'local mirror', just:
> >
> > (1) rsync -uav updatedbox:/var/cache/pacman/pkg nextbox:/var/cache/pacman
> >
> > (2) grab the following 2 scripts:
> >
> > (the wrapper script that calls the main script [twice - see why below])
> > http://www.3111skyline.com/dl/Archlinux/scripts/fduparch.sh
> >
> > (the main duplicate identification and removal script)
> > http://www.3111skyline.com/dl/Archlinux/scripts/fduppkg
> >
> > Put them both in /usr/local/bin (or link them there), edit fduparch.sh
> > and change the directories you want the duplicates from
> > /var/cache/pacman/pkg moved to (default is /home/backup/pkg-old and for
> > the second pass to /home/backup/pkg-older). Then after updating one box,
> > just call fduparch.sh (the wrapper script) as root and the duplicates in
> > /var/cache/pacman/pkg are moved as follows:
> >
> > Pass 1:
> > /var/cache/pacman/pkg => /home/backup/pkg-old
> >
> > Pass 2:
> > /home/backup/pkg-old => /home/backup/pkg-older
> >
> > Which leaves you with the current set of packages in:
> > /var/cache/pacman/pkg
> >
> > The last used packages before update in:
> > /home/backup/pkg-old
> >
> > And finally all older packages in:
> > /home/backup/pkg-older
> >
> > which can be deleted or archived. (of course you can delete the packages
> > in /home/backup/pkg-old if you like as well)
> >
> > NOTE: the duplicate removal script uses the file ctime and/or mtime to
> > determine which is the newer package, so when copying machine to machine
> > with rsync, make sure you preserve the file attributes. (rsync's -a
> > option works fine).
> >
> > Once you set this up, maintaining a local set of packages is a breeze,
> just:
> >
> > (1) pacman -Syu as normal on one box (works the same for new installs
> too)
> > (2) fduparch.sh (as root to remove the older versions of new packages)
> > (3) rsync -uav updatedbox:/var/cache/pacman/pkg nextbox:/var/cache/pacman
> > (only for boxes of the same architecture of course)
> > (4) pacman -Syu on the box you rsync'ed the packages to (nextbox)
> > (5) call fduparch.sh on the box you just updated (nextbox), and so on,
> and so on...
> >
> > As long as your boxes have reasonably similar packages installed, this
> > eliminates 90+% of re-downloading, takes no additional bandwidth because
> > you have to download the updated packages once anyway, and is simple
> > enough for me to manage so you guy will have no problems with it
> >
> > And if you wanted to get even more creative, you could simply write a
> > script on your main box that you update to automate the entire process
> > for all your local boxes using nothing more than rsync and ssh calls of
> > run the updates and dup removal scripts. (I haven't been that creative
> > yet) Just remember to separate your boxes into groups/classes by
> > architecture (i686 & x86_64)
> >
> > Cheers.
> >
> > --
> > David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
> > Rankin Law Firm, PLLC
> > 510 Ochiltree Street
> > Nacogdoches, Texas 75961
> > Telephone: (936) 715-9333
> > Facsimile: (936) 715-9339
> > www.rankinlawfirm.com
>
>
>
> err.. what?
> Don't you think, that mirrorsync in crontab is MUCH more easier way to get
> new packages, huh?
> I'm using local mirror for 3 years and i have no idea why i shoulnd't use
> it know.
>
> P.S.
>
> If you have local mirror, you won't worry about 3-4 another GB's. You just
> download some less porn. Less porn -> more profit.
> --
>
>
made my day

--
Kirill E. Churin
Jabber: reflexing@reflexing.ru, ICQ: 8163230, Skype on demand.

In a world *without walls* or fences, *who needs windows and gates?*

Tue Sep 14 16:30:03 2010
Return-path: <devel-bounces@lists.fedoraproject.org>
Envelope-to: tom@linux-archive.org
Delivery-date: Tue, 14 Sep 2010 15:30:57 +0300
Received: from bastion02.fedoraproject.org ([209.132.181.3]:48544 helo=bastion.fedoraproject.org)
by s2.java-tips.org with esmtp (Exim 4.69)
(envelope-from <devel-bounces@lists.fedoraproject.org>)
id 1OvUf2-00048P-Ps
for tom@linux-archive.org; Tue, 14 Sep 2010 15:30:56 +0300
Received: from lists.fedoraproject.org (collab1.vpn.fedoraproject.org [192.168.1.21])
by bastion02.phx2.fedoraproject.org (Postfix) with ESMTP id 5FD23110DE9;
Tue, 14 Sep 2010 13:21:40 +0000 (UTC)
Received: from collab1.fedoraproject.org (localhost.localdomain [127.0.0.1])
by lists.fedoraproject.org (Postfix) with ESMTP id AD66D32679E;
Tue, 14 Sep 2010 13:21:39 +0000 (UTC)
X-Original-To: devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
Delivered-To: devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
Received: from smtp-mm3.fedoraproject.org (smtp-mm3.fedoraproject.org
[152.46.7.226])
by lists.fedoraproject.org (Postfix) with ESMTP id 5B2ED326795
for <devel@lists.fedoraproject.org>;
Tue, 14 Sep 2010 13:21:37 +0000 (UTC)
Received: from mail-wy0-f173.google.com (mail-wy0-f173.google.com
[74.125.82.173])
by smtp-mm3.fedoraproject.org (Postfix) with ESMTP id D8A3237CC3
for <devel@lists.fedoraproject.org>;
Tue, 14 Sep 2010 13:21:36 +0000 (UTC)
Received: by wyb39 with SMTP id 39so7077925wyb.32
for <devel@lists.fedoraproject.org>;
Tue, 14 Sep 2010 06:21:34 -0700 (PDT)
MIME-Version: 1.0
Received: by 10.216.93.10 with SMTP id k10mr3940118wef.38.1284470493977; Tue,
14 Sep 2010 06:21:33 -0700 (PDT)
Received: by 10.216.135.220 with HTTP; Tue, 14 Sep 2010 06:21:33 -0700 (PDT)
In-Reply-To: <AANLkTikf+QX=e5X-T2T15qZGWxznV6=JyiZDBHGQxxDt@mail.gmail.com>
References: <AANLkTikf+QX=e5X-T2T15qZGWxznV6=JyiZDBHGQxxDt@mail.gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2010 08:21:33 -0500
Message-ID: <AANLkTim1_NFSOtXo9yQ+vaKG_AEaHZ6hdXfjJ9+QS+Bu@mai l.gmail.com>
Subject: Re: ogre3d lagging behind more than half a year
From: =?ISO-2022-JP?B?Q29uYW4gS3VkbyAoGyRCJUshPCVrISYlNCVzJVEbKEIp? =
<ngompa13@gmail.com>
To: Development discussions related to Fedora <devel@lists.fedoraproject.org>
X-BeenThere: devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
X-Mailman-Version: 2.1.9
Precedence: list
Reply-To: Development discussions related to Fedora
<devel@lists.fedoraproject.org>
List-Id: Development discussions related to Fedora
<devel.lists.fedoraproject.org>
List-Unsubscribe: <https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel>,
<mailto:devel-request@lists.fedoraproject.org?subject=unsubscrib e>
List-Archive: <http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/devel>
List-Post: <mailto:devel@lists.fedoraproject.org>
List-Help: <mailto:devel-request@lists.fedoraproject.org?subject=help>
List-Subscribe: <https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel>,
<mailto:devel-request@lists.fedoraproject.org?subject=subscribe>
Content-Type: multipart/mixed; boundary="===============0124823647901196966=="
Sender: devel-bounces@lists.fedoraproject.org
Errors-To: devel-bounces@lists.fedoraproject.org

--===============0124823647901196966==
Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary=0016e6d99cb7849f6504903817f9

--0016e6d99cb7849f6504903817f9
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1

I don't think it would have been too late for Fedora 14. It isn't a core
package that needs to be available in a spin, afaik...

On Tue, Sep 14, 2010 at 4:43 AM, Rudolf Kastl <che666@gmail.com> wrote:

> heyyas,
>
> ogre3d, one of the most important 3d engines we have in fedora is
> already lagging behind over half a year in rawhide:
>
> https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=576286
>
> would be nice to see it finally updated atleast in rawhide so it can
> go atleast in f15... which means we are only 1 year behind by then.
>
> kind regards,
> Rudolf Kastl
> --
> devel mailing list
> devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
> https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel
>

--0016e6d99cb7849f6504903817f9
Content-Type: text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

I don't think it would have been too late for Fedora 14. It isn't a=
core package that needs to be available in a spin, afaik...<br><br><div cl=
ass=3D"gmail_quote">On Tue, Sep 14, 2010 at 4:43 AM, Rudolf Kastl <span dir=
=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:che666@gmail.com">che666@gmail.com</a>&gt;</=
span> wrote:<br>
<blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1p=
x #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex;">heyyas,<br>
<br>
ogre3d, one of the most important 3d engines we have in fedora is<br>
already lagging behind over half a year in rawhide:<br>
<br>
<a href=3D"https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=3D576286" target=3D"=
_blank">https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=3D576286</a><br>
<br>
would be nice to see it finally updated atleast in rawhide so it can<br>
go atleast in f15... which means we are only 1 year behind by then.<br>
<br>
kind regards,<br>
Rudolf Kastl<br>
<font color=3D"#888888">--<br>
devel mailing list<br>
<a href=3D"mailto:devel@lists.fedoraproject.org">deve l@lists.fedoraproject.=
org</a><br>
<a href=3D"https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel" target=
=3D"_blank">https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel</a><br>
</font></blockquote></div><br>

--0016e6d99cb7849f6504903817f9--

--===============0124823647901196966==
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel
--===============0124823647901196966==--
 
Old 09-14-2010, 04:47 PM
"David C. Rankin"
 
Default 'Local mirror' page was removed from wiki

On 09/14/2010 08:13 AM, Fess wrote:

err.. what?
Don't you think, that mirrorsync in crontab is MUCH more easier way to get new packages, huh?
I'm using local mirror for 3 years and i have no idea why i shoulnd't use it know.


With commercial bandwidth limited to 1M down, I worry about the extra 3-4G of
download. That is 9 hours of the connection pegged at 135K that I don't need to
use. Yes mirrorsync is easier, but it also increases the load on the Arch
mirrors when multiplied by 100's/1000's of people using it. My approach
downloads only the needed packages. A bit more work - yes, but it helps the
community be reducing demand on resources


--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC
510 Ochiltree Street
Nacogdoches, Texas 75961
Telephone: (936) 715-9333
Facsimile: (936) 715-9339
www.rankinlawfirm.com
 
Old 09-14-2010, 05:08 PM
Fess
 
Default 'Local mirror' page was removed from wiki

On 11:47 Tue 14 Sep , David C. Rankin wrote:
> On 09/14/2010 08:13 AM, Fess wrote:
>> err.. what?
>> Don't you think, that mirrorsync in crontab is MUCH more easier way to get new packages, huh?
>> I'm using local mirror for 3 years and i have no idea why i shoulnd't use it know.
>
> With commercial bandwidth limited to 1M down, I worry about the extra
> 3-4G of download. That is 9 hours of the connection pegged at 135K that I
> don't need to use. Yes mirrorsync is easier, but it also increases the
> load on the Arch mirrors when multiplied by 100's/1000's of people using
> it. My approach downloads only the needed packages. A bit more work -
> yes, but it helps the community be reducing demand on resources
>
> --
> David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
> Rankin Law Firm, PLLC
> 510 Ochiltree Street
> Nacogdoches, Texas 75961
> Telephone: (936) 715-9333
> Facsimile: (936) 715-9339
> www.rankinlawfirm.com

1)Have you heard about 3rd party mirrors?
2)People who use gnome must die. No, really - too much traffic on servers.
3)With local mirror you have fast internet, i think.

Wiki done by community. Some guys think, that local mirrors are cool - i agree with them.
Why should we stop people from being cool?
--
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 09:52 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org