-   -   legacy ATA -> AHCI switch after installation (http://www.linux-archive.org/archlinux-general-discussion/399541-legacy-ata-ahci-switch-after-installation.html)

"Roberto Malinverni" 07-15-2010 06:14 AM

legacy ATA -> AHCI switch after installation

My mainbord is dying, so I plan to replace it during this weekend.
Originally the installation of the OS (Arch of course) was performed with my
sata HD in "legacy ATA mode" set in the BIOS. I'm thinking this time to use
native AHCI mode for the hard disks - no real need, I'm just curious.
Apart from the other issues related to a "motherboard transplant" I'm
already familiar with, do you think that changing the hard drive mode will
give me particular troubles? IIRC, the ahci kernel module is normally loaded
alongside the others "ata/pata related", so maybe a simple rebuild of the
ramdisk is all that I need.

Roberto

--
Il messaggio e' stato analizzato alla ricerca di virus o
contenuti pericolosi da MailScanner, ed e'

Ionuț Bîru 07-15-2010 06:22 AM

legacy ATA -> AHCI switch after installation

My mainbord is dying, so I plan to replace it during this weekend.
Originally the installation of the OS (Arch of course) was performed with my
sata HD in "legacy ATA mode" set in the BIOS. I'm thinking this time to use
native AHCI mode for the hard disks - no real need, I'm just curious.
Apart from the other issues related to a "motherboard transplant" I'm
already familiar with, do you think that changing the hard drive mode will
give me particular troubles? IIRC, the ahci kernel module is normally loaded
alongside the others "ata/pata related", so maybe a simple rebuild of the
ramdisk is all that I need.

Roberto

i don't think that you'll have problems. i did that multiple times, but
if you do, is a matter of regenerating initrd images using the livecd

--
Ionuț

Thomas Bchler 07-15-2010 06:33 AM

Am 15.07.2010 08:14, schrieb Roberto Malinverni:
> My mainbord is dying, so I plan to replace it during this weekend.
> Originally the installation of the OS (Arch of course) was performed with my
> sata HD in "legacy ATA mode" set in the BIOS. I'm thinking this time to use
> native AHCI mode for the hard disks - no real need, I'm just curious.
> Apart from the other issues related to a "motherboard transplant" I'm
> already familiar with, do you think that changing the hard drive mode will
> give me particular troubles? IIRC, the ahci kernel module is normally loaded
> alongside the others "ata/pata related", so maybe a simple rebuild of the
> ramdisk is all that I need.

On the first boot, you'll need to boot with the fallback initramfs. You
can then regenerate the initramfs ('mkinitcpio -p kernel26') to account
for the drivers changes.

If you have more than one drive, you should also use labels or UUIDs to
identify your file systems in the bootloader and fstab.