Old 07-12-2010, 04:18 AM
"Allan McRae"

Default No Compiz with current Kernels - but compiz with Linux alchemy 2.6.32-lts OK - Huh?

On 12/07/10 14:12, David C. Rankin wrote:

On 07/11/2010 09:32 PM, David C. Rankin wrote:

Guys,

On my box I continue to have problems with the current kernels on,
booting lts
works fine with compiz - how is that so? IIRC - lts used to be cli
only, now it
boots into runlevel 5 just fine.

Any thoughts on why compiz won't run on 2.6.34-2 or 2.6.34.1-1?

I'll keep tinkering, but any help would be appreciated...

Here is a bit more information:

I don't do anything different when booting or starting Arch with any of
the kernels or the radeon driver. I am totally confused why compiz works
great with LTS, but white-screens with the current kernel. For both
kernels, I don't use an xorg.conf and the modules loaded look the same:

23:07 alchemy:~> kdesu kwrite /boot/grub/menu.lst
23:08 alchemy:~> uname -a
Linux alchemy 2.6.32-lts #1 SMP Wed Jun 2 10:23:08 UTC 2010 x86_64 AMD
Turion(tm) 64 X2 Mobile Technology TL-58 AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux
23:09 alchemy:~> lsmod | grep rad
radeon 566427 2
ttm 35663 1 radeon
drm_kms_helper 22278 1 radeon
drm 151569 5 radeon,ttm,drm_kms_helper
i2c_algo_bit 5031 1 radeon
i2c_core 18070 4 i2c_piix4,radeon,drm,i2c_algo_bit

Allan, anybody, can you think of a reason compiz would be
white-screening with the current kernel and working fine with LTS?

Anything relevant in you Xorg log file?

Old 07-12-2010, 08:59 AM
Peter Lewis

On Monday 12 Jul 2010 at 05:12 David C. Rankin wrote:
> > On my box I continue to have problems with the current kernels on,
> > booting lts works fine with compiz - how is that so? IIRC - lts used to
> > be cli only, now it boots into runlevel 5 just fine.
> >
> > Any thoughts on why compiz won't run on 2.6.34-2 or 2.6.34.1-1?
>
> Here is a bit more information:
>
> I don't do anything different when booting or starting Arch with any of
> the kernels or the radeon driver. I am totally confused why compiz works
> great with LTS, but white-screens with the current kernel. For both
> kernels, I don't use an xorg.conf and the modules loaded look the same:

I don't know if this is caused by the same thing, but there's something
similar happening with the intel driver too. Look here for a discussion:

http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=99488&p=2

Pete.