Old 07-12-2010, 04:12 AM
"David C. Rankin"

Default No Compiz with current Kernels - but compiz with Linux alchemy 2.6.32-lts OK - Huh?

On 07/11/2010 09:32 PM, David C. Rankin wrote:

Guys,

On my box I continue to have problems with the current kernels on, booting lts
works fine with compiz - how is that so? IIRC - lts used to be cli only, now it
boots into runlevel 5 just fine.

Any thoughts on why compiz won't run on 2.6.34-2 or 2.6.34.1-1?

I'll keep tinkering, but any help would be appreciated...

Here is a bit more information:

I don't do anything different when booting or starting Arch with any of the
kernels or the radeon driver. I am totally confused why compiz works great with
LTS, but white-screens with the current kernel. For both kernels, I don't use an
xorg.conf and the modules loaded look the same:

23:07 alchemy:~> kdesu kwrite /boot/grub/menu.lst
23:08 alchemy:~> uname -a
Linux alchemy 2.6.32-lts #1 SMP Wed Jun 2 10:23:08 UTC 2010 x86_64 AMD
Turion(tm) 64 X2 Mobile Technology TL-58 AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux

23:09 alchemy:~> lsmod | grep rad
radeon 566427 2
ttm 35663 1 radeon
drm_kms_helper 22278 1 radeon
drm 151569 5 radeon,ttm,drm_kms_helper
i2c_algo_bit 5031 1 radeon
i2c_core 18070 4 i2c_piix4,radeon,drm,i2c_algo_bit

Allan, anybody, can you think of a reason compiz would be white-screening with
the current kernel and working fine with LTS?

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC

Old 07-12-2010, 06:02 PM