Old 07-11-2010, 05:37 AM
"David C. Rankin"

Default Updated kernel to 34.1 on x86-64 laptop, won't boot, stuck "Setting Console to UTF-8 Mode" ??

Guys,

I need help recovering from a failure to boot. I updated the kernel to
kernel26-2.6.34.1-1 and booted once without issue. I then just configured
kdemod3 a bit and went to reboot and now the boot process sticks at the message:

"Setting Console to UTF-8 Mode"

Huh?

I tried the fallback kernel, and it sticks at the same point. Double Huh?

I don't understand how it could boot once, then not boot anymore, especially
since it sticks at the weird UTF-8 message. That just seems like a weird place
to stop in the boot process.

When it sticks, the box is hardlocked. I have to power-off to get out of there.
ctrl+alt+del or ctrl+c, etc. has no effect.

I can boot the new install medium just fine and I can chroot the system under a
mount point, but I don't know how to go about fixing or even figuring out this
problem.

Can anyone offer any suggestions or help explaining what I should try to get
the box going again? Thanks.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC