Old 07-09-2010, 02:09 PM
Rafael Beraldo

Default nVidia MCP79

Hi,

I bought a Asus 1201N and installed Arch on it. Sound (a nVidia MCP79) works
but I think sound is too low. I've set everything in alsamixer to 100% and
even with a headphone it is still low. Although I can hear it well, I think
this netbook can amplificate sound a lot more.

Also, the built-in microphone doesn't work. alsamixer doesn't show the
controls of it, just of the pararel mic.

Thank you in advance.

--
Rafael Beraldo
http://cabaladada.org

Old 07-10-2010, 09:22 AM
bardo

2010/7/9 Rafael Beraldo <rafaelluisberaldo@gmail.com>:
> Hi,
>
> I bought a Asus 1201N and installed Arch on it. Sound (a nVidia MCP79) works
> but I think sound is too low. I've set everything in alsamixer to 100% and
> even with a headphone it is still low. Although I can hear it well, I think
> this netbook can amplificate sound a lot more.
>
> Also, the built-in microphone doesn't work. alsamixer doesn't show the
> controls of it, just of the pararel mic.

Hi Rafael. MCP79 is a pretty common chipset, and support is mostly
good (I have it on a Macbook 5,1 and on a mini-itx board and it works
fine on both). However, some variations still aren't well supported,
but work is ongoing.
I suggest you to give a try to the kernel26-rc package on the aur:
2.6.35-rc4 is a very stable release, and reading the shortlog I found
a commit that may be helpful at least for your second issue:

commit b8f171e7e7ed5c9b77324bcc6bb580ddcc84da49