Old 07-09-2010, 01:22 PM
Xiaochen Gao

Default i915 Module Problem

Dear All,
Sorry for the spam.
I am new to this list and I'm fairly new to Arch Linux. I encountered a
problem when I tried to install and use Arch Linux 2010.05. It seems to
be: if modules auto-load is set to yes or I manually set i915 to load in
rc.conf, my computer will stop and chang to blank black screen. If I
disable i915 the system will start without error, but only with low
defination display.
My computer is new lenovo Thinkpad X201, with i5-540 processor and
integrated Intel HD Graphics. Here I'm wondering whether it is a i915
error, or BIOS or any problem of my computer? And can I have an
alternative method to start my Arch Linux system with normal defination
display?

Thank you very much.

Xiaochen

Old 07-09-2010, 02:03 PM
Thomas Bächler

Am 09.07.2010 15:22, schrieb Xiaochen Gao:
> Dear All,
> Sorry for the spam.
> I am new to this list and I'm fairly new to Arch Linux. I encountered a
> problem when I tried to install and use Arch Linux 2010.05. It seems to
> be: if modules auto-load is set to yes or I manually set i915 to load in
> rc.conf, my computer will stop and chang to blank black screen. If I
> disable i915 the system will start without error, but only with low
> defination display.
> My computer is new lenovo Thinkpad X201, with i5-540 processor and
> integrated Intel HD Graphics. Here I'm wondering whether it is a i915
> error, or BIOS or any problem of my computer? And can I have an
> alternative method to start my Arch Linux system with normal defination
> display?

This is likely to be a BIOS problem. There are a few known laptop models
with that problem (some are fixed in 2.6.35 apparently, some not). In
general, the i5-based GPUs are supported and work quite well - the only
problems are broken BIOSes and some unsupported panels that should be
fixed in future Linux versions.

You can try a 2.6.35-rc4 kernel, if that doesn't help, try a BIOS
update. If that doesn't help, I don't know any further, maybe contact
the kernel.org bugzilla about it.

Old 07-10-2010, 07:55 AM
cantabile

I am new to this list and I'm fairly new to Arch Linux. I encountered a
problem when I tried to install and use Arch Linux 2010.05. It seems to
be: if modules auto-load is set to yes or I manually set i915 to load in
rc.conf, my computer will stop and chang to blank black screen. If I
disable i915 the system will start without error, but only with low
defination display.
My computer is new lenovo Thinkpad X201, with i5-540 processor and
integrated Intel HD Graphics. Here I'm wondering whether it is a i915
error, or BIOS or any problem of my computer? And can I have an
alternative method to start my Arch Linux system with normal defination
display?

Thank you very much.

Xiaochen

Are you sure it actually hangs? On my laptop, during the boot process,
when it says "Loading modules" the i915 module is loaded and the screen
changes resolution. Sometimes this produces a blank screen, but the
laptop doesn't actually hang. A few seconds later I can log in blindly
and start x, which fixes the blank screen issue.

A workaround is to put i915 and intel_agp in the initramfs. Details are
on the intel wiki page:
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Intel#KMS_.28Kernel_Mode_Setting.29