Old 07-08-2010, 02:47 PM

Default gnome-terminal configuration

greetings,
I noticed the other day that some of the settings I configured in my ~/.bash_profile aren't implimented when using the gnome-termianl. For the most-part, it's not too big a deal; some of it just aliases system admin stuff that I do from the text consoles (tty1-6) anyhow.

Just for curiousity, i poked around the wiki and the various settings areas on my computer (/etc, /usr/share and such) trying to find if the gnome-terminal had it's own set of configuration files. Does anybody know where i should look to find howto customize the start-up behavior for gnome-terminal? Also, is it normal for gnome-terminal to not read ~/.bash_profile, even if the default shell is bash?

thank you:-)

Old 07-08-2010, 02:51 PM
"Adam Hani Schakaki"

Hi, strange thing, but on my systems all aliases etc. are working very
well in gnome-terminal. I don't know about any own configuration stuff for
gnome-terminal except for the font size etc.

I noticed the other day that some of the settings I configured in my
~/.bash_profile aren't implimented when using the gnome-termianl. For
the most-part, it's not too big a deal; some of it just aliases system
admin stuff that I do from the text consoles (tty1-6) anyhow.

Just for curiousity, i poked around the wiki and the various settings
areas on my computer (/etc, /usr/share and such) trying to find if the
gnome-terminal had it's own set of configuration files. Does anybody
know where i should look to find howto customize the start-up behavior
for gnome-terminal? Also, is it normal for gnome-terminal to not read
~/.bash_profile, even if the default shell is bash?

thank you:-)
The New Busy is not the old busy. Search, chat and e-mail from your
inbox.

Old 07-08-2010, 03:16 PM
Dave Reisner

On Thu, Jul 08, 2010 at 10:47:03AM -0400, aerospace1028@hotmail.com wrote:

> greetings,
> I noticed the other day that some of the settings I configured in my ~/.bash_profile aren't implimented when using the gnome-termianl. For the most-part, it's not too big a deal; some of it just aliases system admin stuff that I do from the text consoles (tty1-6) anyhow.
>
> Just for curiousity, i poked around the wiki and the various settings areas on my computer (/etc, /usr/share and such) trying to find if the gnome-terminal had it's own set of configuration files. Does anybody know where i should look to find howto customize the start-up behavior for gnome-terminal? Also, is it normal for gnome-terminal to not read ~/.bash_profile, even if the default shell is bash?
>
> thank you:-)

gnome-terminal's settings are likely stored in gconf. .bash_profile is
read only on a login shell. gnome-terminal, by default, creates
non-login shells (I don't know how to alter this behavior). You should
be setting aliases and things of that nature via .bashrc, which is
sourced every time an interactive shell is started. If these terms are
unfamiliar to you, I suggest reading 'man bash'.

Old 07-08-2010, 03:25 PM
Byron Clark

On 07/08/10 at 10:47am, aerospace1028@hotmail.com wrote:
> I noticed the other day that some of the settings I configured in my
> ~/.bash_profile aren't implimented when using the gnome-termianl. For
> the most-part, it's not too big a deal; some of it just aliases system
> admin stuff that I do from the text consoles (tty1-6) anyhow.
>
> Just for curiousity, i poked around the wiki and the various settings
> areas on my computer (/etc, /usr/share and such) trying to find if the
> gnome-terminal had it's own set of configuration files. Does anybody
> know where i should look to find howto customize the start-up behavior
> for gnome-terminal? Also, is it normal for gnome-terminal to not read
> ~/.bash_profile, even if the default shell is bash?

bash only sources ~/.bash_profile when invoked as a login shell.

--
Byron Clark

Old 07-08-2010, 04:00 PM
Hilton Medeiros

On Thu, 8 Jul 2010 10:47:03 -0400
<aerospace1028@hotmail.com> wrote:

> greetings,
> I noticed the other day that some of the settings I configured in my
> ~/.bash_profile aren't implimented when using the gnome-termianl.
> For the most-part, it's not too big a deal; some of it just aliases
> system admin stuff that I do from the text consoles (tty1-6) anyhow.
>
> Just for curiousity, i poked around the wiki and the various settings
> areas on my computer (/etc, /usr/share and such) trying to find if
> the gnome-terminal had it's own set of configuration files. Does
> anybody know where i should look to find howto customize the start-up
> behavior for gnome-terminal? Also, is it normal for gnome-terminal
> to not read ~/.bash_profile, even if the default shell is bash?
>
> thank you:-)
> The New Busy is not the old busy. Search, chat and e-mail from your
> inbox.

Yeah, I had the same issue...
But it is easy to fix:

Open terminal -> 'Edit' menu -> Profile Preferences -> Title and Command
tab -> Tick "Run command as a login shell" check box

Cheers,
Hilton

Old 07-08-2010, 10:48 PM
Ng Oon-Ee

On Thu, 2010-07-08 at 13:00 -0300, Hilton Medeiros wrote:
> On Thu, 8 Jul 2010 10:47:03 -0400
> <aerospace1028@hotmail.com> wrote:
>

> > greetings,
> > I noticed the other day that some of the settings I configured in my
> > ~/.bash_profile aren't implimented when using the gnome-termianl.
> > For the most-part, it's not too big a deal; some of it just aliases
> > system admin stuff that I do from the text consoles (tty1-6) anyhow.
> >
> > Just for curiousity, i poked around the wiki and the various settings
> > areas on my computer (/etc, /usr/share and such) trying to find if
> > the gnome-terminal had it's own set of configuration files. Does
> > anybody know where i should look to find howto customize the start-up
> > behavior for gnome-terminal? Also, is it normal for gnome-terminal
> > to not read ~/.bash_profile, even if the default shell is bash?
> >
> > thank you:-)
> > __________________________________________________ _______________
> > The New Busy is not the old busy. Search, chat and e-mail from your
> > inbox.
> > http://www.windowslive.com/campaign/thenewbusy?ocid=PID28326::T:WLMTAGL:ON:WL:en-US:WM_HMP:042010_3
>
> Yeah, I had the same issue...
> But it is easy to fix:
>
> Open terminal -> 'Edit' menu -> Profile Preferences -> Title and Command
> tab -> Tick "Run command as a login shell" check box
>
> Cheers,
> Hilton

You could also set things in .profile instead? I've read before that
this is the 'proper' way to put env stuff etc.

Old 07-08-2010, 11:12 PM
C Anthony Risinger

2010/7/8 Ng Oon-Ee <ngoonee@gmail.com>:
> On Thu, 2010-07-08 at 13:00 -0300, Hilton Medeiros wrote:
>> On Thu, 8 Jul 2010 10:47:03 -0400
>> <aerospace1028@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>

>> > greetings,
>> > I noticed the other day that some of the settings I configured in my
>> > ~/.bash_profile aren't implimented when using the gnome-termianl.
>> > For the most-part, it's not too big a deal; some of it just aliases
>> > system admin stuff that I do from the text consoles (tty1-6) anyhow.
>> >
>> > Just for curiousity, i poked around the wiki and the various settings
>> > areas on my computer (/etc, /usr/share and such) trying to find if
>> > the gnome-terminal had it's own set of configuration files. *Does
>> > anybody know where i should look to find howto customize the start-up
>> > behavior for gnome-terminal? *Also, is it normal for gnome-terminal
>> > to not read ~/.bash_profile, even if the default shell is bash?
>> >
>> > thank you:-)
>> > __________________________________________________ _______________
>> > The New Busy is not the old busy. Search, chat and e-mail from your
>> > inbox.
>> > http://www.windowslive.com/campaign/thenewbusy?ocid=PID28326::T:WLMTAGL:ON:WL:en-US:WM_HMP:042010_3
>>
>> Yeah, I had the same issue...
>> But it is easy to fix:
>>
>> Open terminal -> 'Edit' menu -> Profile Preferences -> Title and Command
>> tab -> Tick "Run command as a login shell" check box
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Hilton
>
> You could also set things in .profile instead? I've read before that
> this is the 'proper' way to put env stuff etc.

i could be wrong, as i've heavily customized these scripts, but i
believe by default the only thing .bashrc does (in arch) is source
.bash_aliases if it exists; so put aliases there.

take a look at:

/etc/profile*
/etc/bash*
~/.profile
~/.bash*

they contain everything you need to know. for example, you can create
an /etc/bash.bashrc.local that will be sourced if it exists. i use
this to add gentoo style colors and prompts, export stuff, and
increase the bash_history from 1,000 to 10,000 (i hate retyping stuff
:-)

C Anthony

Old 07-09-2010, 02:01 AM
Ng Oon-Ee

On Thu, 2010-07-08 at 18:12 -0500, C Anthony Risinger wrote:
> 2010/7/8 Ng Oon-Ee <ngoonee@gmail.com>:
> > On Thu, 2010-07-08 at 13:00 -0300, Hilton Medeiros wrote:

> >> Yeah, I had the same issue...
> >> But it is easy to fix:
> >>
> >> Open terminal -> 'Edit' menu -> Profile Preferences -> Title and Command
> >> tab -> Tick "Run command as a login shell" check box
> >>
> >> Cheers,
> >> Hilton
> >
> > You could also set things in .profile instead? I've read before that
> > this is the 'proper' way to put env stuff etc.
>
> i could be wrong, as i've heavily customized these scripts, but i
> believe by default the only thing .bashrc does (in arch) is source
> .bash_aliases if it exists; so put aliases there.
>
> take a look at:
>
> /etc/profile*
> /etc/bash*
> ~/.profile
> ~/.bash*
>
> they contain everything you need to know. for example, you can create
> an /etc/bash.bashrc.local that will be sourced if it exists. i use
> this to add gentoo style colors and prompts, export stuff, and
> increase the bash_history from 1,000 to 10,000 (i hate retyping stuff
> :-)
>
> C Anthony

How big is .bash_history for you? =)

Old 07-09-2010, 12:18 PM

Thank you to all who have replied.
When i had read the man page I missed the part about bash sourcing ~/.bash_profile first for log-in shells only, I took it to be universal.

some other responses interspersed below.

>Date: Thu, 8 Jul 2010 18:12:06 -0500
>From: C Anthony Risinger <anthony@extof.me>
>Subject: Re: [arch-general] gnome-terminal configuration
>To: General Discussion about Arch Linux <arch-general@archlinux.org>
>
>2010/7/8 Ng Oon-Ee <ngoonee@gmail.com>:
>> On Thu, 2010-07-08 at 13:00 -0300, Hilton Medeiros wrote:
>>> On Thu, 8 Jul 2010 10:47:03 -0400
>>> <aerospace1028@hotmail.com> wrote:

<snip>
>> You could also set things in .profile instead? I've read before that
>> this is the 'proper' way to put env stuff etc.

Most of what I did was create a short ~/.bash_alias file and load it in a ~/.bash_profile, for the time being, moving the three lines of code to ~/.bashrc works. I plan to go through the man page again and review the preference order for .bashrc .profile and .bash_profile.

>i could be wrong, as i've heavily customized these scripts, but i
>believe by default the only thing .bashrc does (in arch) is source
>.bash_aliases if it exists; so put aliases there.

The default appears to be that

.bashrc: checks for an interactive session, sets the prompt and aliases the ls command.

.bash_profile: references and loads settings in ~.bashrc

Since bash_profile called bashrc, that was where I put my call to bash_alias. For the time being, shifting it over to .bashrc appears to work.

>take a look at:
>
>/etc/profile*
>/etc/bash*
>~/.profile
>~/.bash*

by default I don't have a ~.profile. Not sure if that's right or not. I originally installed from the speakup modified install CD.

Again, thank you to everyone who helped out. It appears my confusion was over the order for .bashrc, .profile and .bash_profile in a log-in vs. non log-in shell. I've got everything working now, but I'll still go back and re-read the appropriate section of the manual for my own interest.
http://www.windowslive.com/campaign/thenewbusy?tile=multicalendar&ocid=PID28326::T:WLM TAGL:ON:WL:en-US:WM_HMP:042010_5