Old 07-08-2010, 07:56 AM
Philipp

Default Blanks screen after boot

Hey,
I have this problem since a while but it got a lot worse with the last
two kernel versions. Now there's an about 50/50 chance to see the user
login or simply not see it. I don't have any login manager set up, so
after boot there's simply the user login and after that I issue startx.
It all works just fine,even if I can't see a thing, and once I issued
startx everything goes back to normal, the screen isn't blank anymore.

The machine has an Intel chipset, and I guess it's related to that
and/or KMS, but that's as far as my guess goes.

Maybe one of you knows something about that kind of issue?

Philipp

--
"Wir stehen selbst enttäuscht und sehn betroffen / Den Vorhang zu und alle Fragen offen." Bertolt Brecht, Der gute Mensch von Sezuan

Old 07-09-2010, 02:17 AM
"Joe(theWordy)Philbrook"

It would appear that on Jul 8, Philipp did say:

> Hey,
> I have this problem since a while but it got a lot worse with the last
> two kernel versions. Now there's an about 50/50 chance to see the user
> login or simply not see it. I don't have any login manager set up, so
> after boot there's simply the user login and after that I issue startx.
> It all works just fine,even if I can't see a thing, and once I issued
> startx everything goes back to normal, the screen isn't blank anymore.
>
> The machine has an Intel chipset, and I guess it's related to that
> and/or KMS, but that's as far as my guess goes.
>
> Maybe one of you knows something about that kind of issue?

Don't know for sure but it sounds a little like the problem I just had with
my video driver... And my problem was definitely related to KMS...

Do you by chance have an Nvidia graphics card???

In my case I have a new/used (new to me) PC with on board Nvidia. It's my
first Nvidia and I was caught by surprise when the open source driver
didn't work for me. And since it's designed for KMS it was being deployed
before I'd even installed xorg... This put me in a blank screen where if I
carefully typed the keystrokes I could log in to a console and issue
commands. But I couldn't see anything. I have no idea what this would do to
the X session you would initialize via startx, But as far as the console
mode part goes it was suggested that if I used the kernel option
"nomodeset" when I booted, I might get a more usable console session.
And for me it worked long enough to find out that I really needed the
proprietary nvidia driver. You can see more details of my experience by
reading the thread I started on Jul 4th 2010 with the subject line of:

screen goes blank on reboot after 1st pacman Su of new install!!!???

Hmmnnn I just noticed that I said "pacman Su" on that subject line rather
than "pacman -Su"... Just goes to show that my brain is less than perfect.

Hope this is of some help anyway.

Old 07-09-2010, 09:31 AM
Philipp Überbacher

Excerpts from Joe(theWordy)Philbrook's message of 2010-07-09 04:17:22 +0200:

> It would appear that on Jul 8, Philipp did say:
>
> > Hey,
> > I have this problem since a while but it got a lot worse with the last
> > two kernel versions. Now there's an about 50/50 chance to see the user
> > login or simply not see it. I don't have any login manager set up, so
> > after boot there's simply the user login and after that I issue startx.
> > It all works just fine,even if I can't see a thing, and once I issued
> > startx everything goes back to normal, the screen isn't blank anymore.
> >
> > The machine has an Intel chipset, and I guess it's related to that
> > and/or KMS, but that's as far as my guess goes.
> >
> > Maybe one of you knows something about that kind of issue?
>
> Don't know for sure but it sounds a little like the problem I just had with
> my video driver... And my problem was definitely related to KMS...
>
> Do you by chance have an Nvidia graphics card???
>
> In my case I have a new/used (new to me) PC with on board Nvidia. It's my
> first Nvidia and I was caught by surprise when the open source driver
> didn't work for me. And since it's designed for KMS it was being deployed
> before I'd even installed xorg... This put me in a blank screen where if I
> carefully typed the keystrokes I could log in to a console and issue
> commands. But I couldn't see anything. I have no idea what this would do to
> the X session you would initialize via startx, But as far as the console
> mode part goes it was suggested that if I used the kernel option
> "nomodeset" when I booted, I might get a more usable console session.
> And for me it worked long enough to find out that I really needed the
> proprietary nvidia driver. You can see more details of my experience by
> reading the thread I started on Jul 4th 2010 with the subject line of:
>
> screen goes blank on reboot after 1st pacman Su of new install!!!???
>
> Hmmnnn I just noticed that I said "pacman Su" on that subject line rather
> than "pacman -Su"... Just goes to show that my brain is less than perfect.
>
> Hope this is of some help anyway.

Thanks Joe, I saw that thread but didn't read it entirely. I have an
onboard intel chip, KMS is working since quite a while, so it might just
be a regression.

I searched around for a bit and even found something on the arch wiki
that might be related, but it lacks any reference to an upstream bug:
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Intel#KMS_.28Kernel_Mode_Setting.29
Disabling KMS seems to be no option for intel chips anymore.

Further search suggests that it might be ACPI related. One ACPI bug I
reported was fixed, I can control my backlight with the function keys
now, so maybe I should report this one as well.
Philipp

Old 07-09-2010, 09:49 AM
Thomas Bächler

Am 08.07.2010 09:56, schrieb Philipp:
> Hey,
> I have this problem since a while but it got a lot worse with the last
> two kernel versions. Now there's an about 50/50 chance to see the user
> login or simply not see it. I don't have any login manager set up, so
> after boot there's simply the user login and after that I issue startx.
> It all works just fine,even if I can't see a thing, and once I issued
> startx everything goes back to normal, the screen isn't blank anymore.
>
> The machine has an Intel chipset, and I guess it's related to that
> and/or KMS, but that's as far as my guess goes.
>
> Maybe one of you knows something about that kind of issue?

You need to save the dmesg output of a failed and a successful boot and
compare them.

Note that the DRM/KMS driver seems to initialize fine - otherwise,
starting Xorg would fail entirely (Intel's Xorg driver depends on it).

Old 07-09-2010, 10:04 AM
Philipp Überbacher

Excerpts from Thomas Bächler's message of 2010-07-09 11:49:16 +0200:
> Am 08.07.2010 09:56, schrieb Philipp:
> > Hey,
> > I have this problem since a while but it got a lot worse with the last
> > two kernel versions. Now there's an about 50/50 chance to see the user
> > login or simply not see it. I don't have any login manager set up, so
> > after boot there's simply the user login and after that I issue startx.
> > It all works just fine,even if I can't see a thing, and once I issued
> > startx everything goes back to normal, the screen isn't blank anymore.
> >
> > The machine has an Intel chipset, and I guess it's related to that
> > and/or KMS, but that's as far as my guess goes.
> >
> > Maybe one of you knows something about that kind of issue?
> >

> You need to save the dmesg output of a failed and a successful boot and
> compare them.
>
> Note that the DRM/KMS driver seems to initialize fine - otherwise,
> starting Xorg would fail entirely (Intel's Xorg driver depends on it).

Thanks Thomas, good idea.
I'll see whether I can find the difference in dmesg and will search
for/file a bug then.

Besides the one error message in dmesg I already know (wifi chip
doesn't work in DMA mode) there are some more lines that I don't
understand:

pcie_pme: probe of 0000:00:1c.0cie01 failed with error -13
pcie_pme: probe of 0000:00:1c.1cie01 failed with error -13
pcie_pme: probe of 0000:00:1c.2cie01 failed with error -13
PM: Error -22 checking image file

I don't have the slightest idea whether they are related to my problem,
I'll do the comparison when I get the chance.
Philipp

Old 07-09-2010, 11:34 AM
Thomas Bächler

Am 09.07.2010 12:04, schrieb Philipp Überbacher:
> Besides the one error message in dmesg I already know (wifi chip
> doesn't work in DMA mode) there are some more lines that I don't
> understand:

When providing exceperts of grepping for them, please provide context
(grep -C3 is a good command).

> pcie_pme: probe of 0000:00:1c.0cie01 failed with error -13
> pcie_pme: probe of 0000:00:1c.1cie01 failed with error -13
> pcie_pme: probe of 0000:00:1c.2cie01 failed with error -13

Those appeared on many machines in 2.6.34 IIRC, they indicate some ACPI
trouble, but should be harmless.

> PM: Error -22 checking image file

Context please.

> I don't have the slightest idea whether they are related to my problem,

Probably not.

> I'll do the comparison when I get the chance.

You do that. Eventually, upstream intel developers might be interested
in this. Which chipset do you have?

Old 07-09-2010, 12:36 PM
Philipp Überbacher

Excerpts from Thomas Bächler's message of 2010-07-09 13:34:29 +0200:
> Am 09.07.2010 12:04, schrieb Philipp Überbacher:
> > Besides the one error message in dmesg I already know (wifi chip
> > doesn't work in DMA mode) there are some more lines that I don't
> > understand:
>
> When providing exceperts of grepping for them, please provide context
> (grep -C3 is a good command).
>
> > pcie_pme: probe of 0000:00:1c.0cie01 failed with error -13
> > pcie_pme: probe of 0000:00:1c.1cie01 failed with error -13
> > pcie_pme: probe of 0000:00:1c.2cie01 failed with error -13
>
> Those appeared on many machines in 2.6.34 IIRC, they indicate some ACPI
> trouble, but should be harmless.
>
> > PM: Error -22 checking image file
>
> Context please.

Ok, here's the whole dmesg thing, the b43 is a known problem, may be solved someday,
but now with .34 wireless at least works in PIO mode automatically.

$ dmesg | grep -i -C3 error
pcieport 0000:00:1c.2: irq 26 for MSI/MSI-X
pcieport 0000:00:1c.0: Requesting control of PCIe PME from ACPI BIOS
pcieport 0000:00:1c.0: Failed to receive control of PCIe PME service: no _OSC support
pcie_pme: probe of 0000:00:1c.0cie01 failed with error -13
pcieport 0000:00:1c.1: Requesting control of PCIe PME from ACPI BIOS
pcieport 0000:00:1c.1: Failed to receive control of PCIe PME service: no _OSC support
pcie_pme: probe of 0000:00:1c.1cie01 failed with error -13
pcieport 0000:00:1c.2: Requesting control of PCIe PME from ACPI BIOS
pcieport 0000:00:1c.2: Failed to receive control of PCIe PME service: no _OSC support
pcie_pme: probe of 0000:00:1c.2cie01 failed with error -13
Linux agpgart interface v0.103
Serial: 8250/16550 driver, 4 ports, IRQ sharing disabled
PNP: PS/2 Controller [PNP0303:KBD0,PNP0f13:PS2M] at 0x60,0x64 irq 1,12
--
PM: Starting manual resume from disk
PM: Resume from partition 8:2
PM: Checking hibernation image.
PM: Error -22 checking image file
PM: Resume from disk failed.
EXT4-fs (sda3): mounted filesystem with ordered data mode
rtc_cmos 00:09: RTC can wake from S4
--
tg3 0000:02:00.0: eth0: Flow control is on for TX and on for RX
ADDRCONF(NETDEV_CHANGE): eth0: link becomes ready

> > I don't have the slightest idea whether they are related to my problem,
>
> Probably not.
>
> > I'll do the comparison when I get the chance.
>
> You do that. Eventually, upstream intel developers might be interested
> in this. Which chipset do you have?

I guess this would be GM965 then?
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Mobile PM965/GM965/GL960 Memory Controller Hub (rev 03)
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)
00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)

Thanks for advice.
Philipp

Old 07-09-2010, 01:58 PM
Thomas Bächler

Am 09.07.2010 14:36, schrieb Philipp Überbacher:
> $ dmesg | grep -i -C3 error
> pcieport 0000:00:1c.2: irq 26 for MSI/MSI-X
> pcieport 0000:00:1c.0: Requesting control of PCIe PME from ACPI BIOS
> pcieport 0000:00:1c.0: Failed to receive control of PCIe PME service: no _OSC support
> pcie_pme: probe of 0000:00:1c.0cie01 failed with error -13
> pcieport 0000:00:1c.1: Requesting control of PCIe PME from ACPI BIOS
> pcieport 0000:00:1c.1: Failed to receive control of PCIe PME service: no _OSC support
> pcie_pme: probe of 0000:00:1c.1cie01 failed with error -13
> pcieport 0000:00:1c.2: Requesting control of PCIe PME from ACPI BIOS
> pcieport 0000:00:1c.2: Failed to receive control of PCIe PME service: no _OSC support
> pcie_pme: probe of 0000:00:1c.2cie01 failed with error -13
> Linux agpgart interface v0.103
> Serial: 8250/16550 driver, 4 ports, IRQ sharing disabled
> PNP: PS/2 Controller [PNP0303:KBD0,PNP0f13:PS2M] at 0x60,0x64 irq 1,12

Okay, that is known, new in 2.6.34, and _should_ be harmless. Google for
"Failed to receive control of PCIe PME service: no _OSC support" for
details.

> PM: Starting manual resume from disk
> PM: Resume from partition 8:2
> PM: Checking hibernation image.
> PM: Error -22 checking image file
> PM: Resume from disk failed.
> EXT4-fs (sda3): mounted filesystem with ordered data mode
> rtc_cmos 00:09: RTC can wake from S4

Harmless, this only means that you didn't suspend to disk, and thus
cannot resume from disk.

> tg3 0000:02:00.0: eth0: Flow control is on for TX and on for RX
> ADDRCONF(NETDEV_CHANGE): eth0: link becomes ready
> eth0: no IPv6 routers present
> b43-phy0 ERROR: Fatal DMA error: 0x00000800, 0x00000000, 0x00000000, 0x00000000, 0x00000000, 0x00000000
> b43-phy0 ERROR: This device does not support DMA on your system. Please use PIO instead.
> b43-phy0: Controller RESET (DMA error) ...
> b43-phy0: Loading firmware version 478.104 (2008-07-01 00:50:23)
> b43-phy0: Controller restarted
> b43-phy0: Radio hardware status changed to DISABLED

Yes, I heard about that problem.

None of the above seems related to your i915 problem.

> I guess this would be GM965 then?
> 00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Mobile PM965/GM965/GL960 Memory Controller Hub (rev 03)
> 00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)
> 00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)
>
> Thanks for advice.

Hm, yes, Xorg.0.log has more details about the exact chip ... there are
many 965-generation chips, and I don't pretend to know all of them.

Old 07-09-2010, 02:08 PM
Philipp Überbacher

Excerpts from Thomas Bächler's message of 2010-07-09 15:58:54 +0200:
> Am 09.07.2010 14:36, schrieb Philipp Überbacher:
> > $ dmesg | grep -i -C3 error
> > pcieport 0000:00:1c.2: irq 26 for MSI/MSI-X
> > pcieport 0000:00:1c.0: Requesting control of PCIe PME from ACPI BIOS
> > pcieport 0000:00:1c.0: Failed to receive control of PCIe PME service: no _OSC support
> > pcie_pme: probe of 0000:00:1c.0cie01 failed with error -13
> > pcieport 0000:00:1c.1: Requesting control of PCIe PME from ACPI BIOS
> > pcieport 0000:00:1c.1: Failed to receive control of PCIe PME service: no _OSC support
> > pcie_pme: probe of 0000:00:1c.1cie01 failed with error -13
> > pcieport 0000:00:1c.2: Requesting control of PCIe PME from ACPI BIOS
> > pcieport 0000:00:1c.2: Failed to receive control of PCIe PME service: no _OSC support
> > pcie_pme: probe of 0000:00:1c.2cie01 failed with error -13
> > Linux agpgart interface v0.103
> > Serial: 8250/16550 driver, 4 ports, IRQ sharing disabled
> > PNP: PS/2 Controller [PNP0303:KBD0,PNP0f13:PS2M] at 0x60,0x64 irq 1,12
>
> Okay, that is known, new in 2.6.34, and _should_ be harmless. Google for
> "Failed to receive control of PCIe PME service: no _OSC support" for
> details.
>
> > PM: Starting manual resume from disk
> > PM: Resume from partition 8:2
> > PM: Checking hibernation image.
> > PM: Error -22 checking image file
> > PM: Resume from disk failed.
> > EXT4-fs (sda3): mounted filesystem with ordered data mode
> > rtc_cmos 00:09: RTC can wake from S4
>
> Harmless, this only means that you didn't suspend to disk, and thus
> cannot resume from disk.
>
> > tg3 0000:02:00.0: eth0: Flow control is on for TX and on for RX
> > ADDRCONF(NETDEV_CHANGE): eth0: link becomes ready
> > eth0: no IPv6 routers present
> > b43-phy0 ERROR: Fatal DMA error: 0x00000800, 0x00000000, 0x00000000, 0x00000000, 0x00000000, 0x00000000
> > b43-phy0 ERROR: This device does not support DMA on your system. Please use PIO instead.
> > b43-phy0: Controller RESET (DMA error) ...
> > b43-phy0: Loading firmware version 478.104 (2008-07-01 00:50:23)
> > b43-phy0: Controller restarted
> > b43-phy0: Radio hardware status changed to DISABLED
>
> Yes, I heard about that problem.
>
> None of the above seems related to your i915 problem.

Ok, thanks for all that, I'll just ignore that stuff for now.

> > I guess this would be GM965 then?
> > 00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Mobile PM965/GM965/GL960 Memory Controller Hub (rev 03)
> > 00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)
> > 00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)
> >
> > Thanks for advice.
>
> Hm, yes, Xorg.0.log has more details about the exact chip ... there are
> many 965-generation chips, and I don't pretend to know all of them.

Not much in there that tells me anything more than that it's a 965.
Well, once I've reported it upstream they'll tell me what else they
need.

Thanks.
Philipp