Old 07-08-2010, 07:51 AM
Lukas Grässlin

Default Why does pacman 3.4 reacts so slow to SIGINT?

Hi there,

since the update from pacman 3.3 to 3.4 it reacts really slow to a
SIGINT (Ctrl+C) while syncing or installing a packet.
With 3.3 it immediately stops.

Not a hugh problem, but I would know why it is so.

Regards,
Lukas

--
Lukas Grässlin

Collax GmbH . Basler Str. 115a . 79115 Freiburg . Germany

p: +49 (0) 89-990 157-23

Collax - Flexible IT.

Geschäftsführer: Bernd Bönte, Boris Nalbach
Amtsgericht München, HRB 173695
USt-ID: DE270819312

Old 07-08-2010, 12:02 PM
Sébastien Leblanc

2010/7/8 Lukas Grässlin <lukasgraesslin@gmx.de>:
> Hi there,
>
> since the update from pacman 3.3 to 3.4 it reacts really slow to a
> SIGINT (Ctrl+C) while syncing or installing a packet.
> With 3.3 it immediately stops.

Try to Ctrl-c more than once, because Pacman invokes other subscripts
that trap the interrupt signal.

--
Sébastien Leblanc

Old 07-08-2010, 12:22 PM
Dan McGee

2010/7/8 Lukas Grässlin <lukasgraesslin@gmx.de>:
> Hi there,
>
> since the update from pacman 3.3 to 3.4 it reacts really slow to a
> SIGINT (Ctrl+C) while syncing or installing a packet.
> With 3.3 it immediately stops.
>
> Not a hugh problem, but I would know why it is so.

I don't think we changed our signal handler at all in 3.4. I haven't
noticed any difference while syncing, and you probably won't find me
hitting Ctrl-C during package installation that often.

-Dan

Old 07-08-2010, 03:02 PM
Lukas Grässlin

I often use Ctrl+C when I forgot something and want to cancel the
installations and I'm sure it reacts a lot slower than before. (Seen
that on multiple machines)

Old 07-08-2010, 03:09 PM
Lauri Niskanen

I often use Ctrl+C when I forgot something and want to cancel the
installations and I'm sure it reacts a lot slower than before. (Seen
that on multiple machines)

since the update from pacman 3.3 to 3.4 it reacts really slow to a
SIGINT (Ctrl+C) while syncing or installing a packet.
With 3.3 it immediately stops.

Not a hugh problem, but I would know why it is so.

I don't think we changed our signal handler at all in 3.4. I haven't
noticed any difference while syncing, and you probably won't find me
hitting Ctrl-C during package installation that often.

-Dan

Doesn't it cause corruptions and out-of-syncness between the filesystem
and package database if you abort the install?

--
Ape <Lauri Niskanen>

Old 07-08-2010, 03:24 PM
Lukas Grässlin

On Thu, Jul 08, 2010 at 06:09:15PM +0300, Lauri Niskanen wrote:
> On 07/08/2010 06:02 PM, Lukas Grässlin wrote:
> >I often use Ctrl+C when I forgot something and want to cancel the
> >installations and I'm sure it reacts a lot slower than before. (Seen
> >that on multiple machines)

> >>I don't think we changed our signal handler at all in 3.4. I haven't
> >>noticed any difference while syncing, and you probably won't find me
> >>hitting Ctrl-C during package installation that often.
> >>
> >>-Dan
> >

> Doesn't it cause corruptions and out-of-syncness between the
> filesystem and package database if you abort the install?

Sorry, I don't really mean the installation itself but the Download of
the files. I never really aborted while really installung but when it
downloads the packages. And this Abortion takes much more time than
before.

But whatever, this is not really a problem. I just thought it would be
nice if I know why

Old 07-08-2010, 03:36 PM
Ray Rashif

2010/7/8 Lukas Grässlin <lukasgraesslin@gmx.de>:
> On Thu, Jul 08, 2010 at 06:09:15PM +0300, Lauri Niskanen wrote:
>> On 07/08/2010 06:02 PM, Lukas Grässlin wrote:
>> >I often use Ctrl+C when I forgot something and want to cancel the
>> >installations and I'm sure it reacts a lot slower than before. (Seen
>> >that on multiple machines)

>> Doesn't it cause corruptions and out-of-syncness between the
>> filesystem and package database if you abort the install?
>
> Sorry, I don't really mean the installation itself but the Download of
> the files. I never really aborted while really installung but when it
> downloads the packages. And this Abortion takes much more time than
> before.
>
> But whatever, this is not really a problem. I just thought it would be
> nice if I know why

I'm able to reproduce this one, but wouldn't have realised it if not
for a secondary report.

I CTRL+C a lot when I'm on uselessly-slow network connections that
require frequent bail-outs.

However, I'm not motivated enough to bother about it.

--
GPG/PGP ID: B42DDCAD