-   -   help unravelling dmesg (http://www.linux-archive.org/archlinux-general-discussion/393221-help-unravelling-dmesg.html)

06-30-2010 06:52 PM

help unravelling dmesg

I was wondering if someone might be able to explain this to me. I was reading the output from dmesg, and found the following entry.

CONFIG_NF_CT_ACCT is deprecated and will be removed soon. Please use
nf_conntrack.acct=1 kernel parameter, acct=1 nf_conntrack module option or
sysctl net.netfilter.nf_conntrack_acct=1 to enable it.

I'm still learning my way around as far as system administration goes. I'm not familiar with nf_conntrack. I tried adding net.netfilter.nf_conntrack_acct=1
to the end of my /etc/sysctl.conf file, but the messagestill persisted after re-boot.

Can anyone point me to an explination

(A) what the message means?

(B) if I need to worry about it?

(C) how to activate nf_conntrack_acct if I so choose?

I'm not doing anything fancy here, just running arch on a laptop. As I said, I'm still learning, but not apposed to expanding my limitte knowledge of
linux.

http://www.windowslive.com/campaign/thenewbusy?tile=multiaccount&ocid=PID28326::T:WLMT AGL:ON:WL:en-US:WM_HMP:042010_4

Thomas Bächler 06-30-2010 07:06 PM

help unravelling dmesg

Am 30.06.2010 20:52, schrieb aerospace1028@hotmail.com:
> I was wondering if someone might be able to explain this to me. I was reading the output from dmesg, and found the following entry.
>
> CONFIG_NF_CT_ACCT is deprecated and will be removed soon. Please use
> nf_conntrack.acct=1 kernel parameter, acct=1 nf_conntrack module option or
> sysctl net.netfilter.nf_conntrack_acct=1 to enable it.

It's a warning about a deprecated option in the kernel configuration.
The only way to get rid of it is to rebuild the kernel with this option
disabled.

However, that option does not exist (and is thus not enabled) on 2.6.34,
so you should probably update to get rid of the message.

> I'm still learning my way around as far as system administration goes. I'm not familiar with nf_conntrack. I tried adding net.netfilter.nf_conntrack_acct=1
> to the end of my /etc/sysctl.conf file, but the messagestill persisted after re-boot.

Yes, as I said, it's a warning due to our specific kernel configuration.

> Can anyone point me to an explination
>
> (A) what the message means?

This seems to be about "netfilter connection tracking accounting", which
I never used, and probably never will.

They changed the way it is being configured (enabled on runtime, as
opposed to built as a kernel option) and are very verbose about warning
people about the change.

> (B) if I need to worry about it?

Unless you actually know what netfilter conntrack accounting is and want
to use it, no.

> (C) how to activate nf_conntrack_acct if I so choose?

As you did above, adding the line to sysctl.conf