Old 06-30-2010, 08:38 AM
Peter Cannon

Default Xorg 1.8, Nvidia 6200 Videoseven monitor

Hi All

I have a Videoseven 19" monitor L19FM and an Nvidia 6200 graphics card
the monitor's capabilities are never recognised properly by any Linux
distribution so usually I use the Nvidia-settings tool.

I have upgraded to Xorg release 1.8 to do so I had to remove the
Nvidia-173xx driver and installed xf86-video-nv. X bombs out with the
xorg.conf file in place (/etc/X11) so I moved the xorg.conf file to
xorg.conf.old and X will start but only in 800x600 This is my
/var/log/xor.0.log http://www.pastebin.org/367717

I tried putting my original xorg.conf http://www.pastebin.org/367716 in
/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/ as 20-nvidia.conf obviously changing the devices
sections to "nv" rather than "nvidia" I get an "Out of range" message on
the monitor, black screen but I wouldn't say X has bombed as such.
Usually this means the refresh is wrong however as the information in
the file used to work under nvidia-173xx I cant see that its that.

I have HAL and udev in the daemons array of rc.conf I also use GDM which
again is in the list of daemons.

Any help would be appreciated.

Old 06-30-2010, 08:43 AM
Thomas Bächler

Am 30.06.2010 10:38, schrieb Peter Cannon:
> I have upgraded to Xorg release 1.8 to do so I had to remove the
> Nvidia-173xx driver and installed xf86-video-nv.

Why do you use nvidia 173xx? The 6200 is supported by the nvidia driver.

Old 06-30-2010, 08:45 AM
Peter Cannon

I have upgraded to Xorg release 1.8 to do so I had to remove the
Nvidia-173xx driver and installed xf86-video-nv.

do you use nvidia 173xx? The 6200 is supported by the nvidia driver.

I'm not? If you read it again you will see I removed it

Old 06-30-2010, 08:55 AM
Thomas Bächler

Am 30.06.2010 10:45, schrieb Peter Cannon:
> On 30/06/10 09:43, Thomas Bächler wrote:
>> Am 30.06.2010 10:38, schrieb Peter Cannon:
>>> I have upgraded to Xorg release 1.8 to do so I had to remove the
>>> Nvidia-173xx driver and installed xf86-video-nv.
>>

> do you use nvidia 173xx? The 6200 is supported by the nvidia driver.
>
> I'm not? If you read it again you will see I removed it
>
> "I have upgraded to Xorg release 1.8 to do so I had to remove the
> Nvidia-173xx driver and installed xf86-video-nv."

I don't understand you. Of course you had to remove nvidia-173xx, as it
is incompatible with xorg-server 1.8.

But you don't need nvidia-173xx for your card, and never needed it. You
can simply use the latest nvidia driver - which would eliminate the
problems you're having right now.

Also, if you really want to use a free driver, don't use nv, it sucks -
use nouveau instead.

Old 06-30-2010, 09:06 AM
Peter Cannon

I have upgraded to Xorg release 1.8 to do so I had to remove the
Nvidia-173xx driver and installed xf86-video-nv.

do you use nvidia 173xx? The 6200 is supported by the nvidia driver.

I'm not? If you read it again you will see I removed it

"I have upgraded to Xorg release 1.8 to do so I had to remove the
Nvidia-173xx driver and installed xf86-video-nv."

I don't understand you. Of course you had to remove nvidia-173xx, as it
is incompatible with xorg-server 1.8.

But you don't need nvidia-173xx for your card, and never needed it. You
can simply use the latest nvidia driver - which would eliminate the
problems you're having right now.

Also, if you really want to use a free driver, don't use nv, it sucks -
use nouveau instead.

OK thanks I'll give that a go

Old 06-30-2010, 12:40 PM

On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 10:55:00AM +0200, Thomas Bächler wrote:

> Also, if you really want to use a free driver, don't use nv, it sucks -
> use nouveau instead.

Well my experience is quite different. I had to revert to nv
on some audio workstations because nouveau seems to block
interrupts or otherwise lock out the audio interface for
much too long. Even moderate audio period sizes such as
256 frames are completely unusable. This seems to depend
on the actual video card - on some other machines nouveau
does work OK.

Ciao,

--
FA