FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > ArchLinux > ArchLinux General Discussion

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 06-26-2010, 06:22 AM
jwbirdsong
 
Default Inclusion of wvdial in the ISO

On 06/25/2010 11:54 PM, Nilesh Govindarajan wrote:

Hi,

Recently I've been going to my friends' house and installing arch on
their boxes. Some of them had high speed wireless dialup internet (3.1
megabytes/s is the max) which required wvdial, so I had to carry
wvdial's package in another pen drive.


It would be nice if wvdial was included in the ISO, so such people can
have the latest system if they conduct an FTP install.



Maybe CC a copy of this to the arch-releng ML. Oh wait I just did.
And perhaps add a feature request to the Release Eng bug tracker/
 
Old 06-26-2010, 11:40 AM
Dieter Plaetinck
 
Default Inclusion of wvdial in the ISO

On Sat, 26 Jun 2010 00:22:39 -0600
jwbirdsong <jwbirdsong@jwbirdsong.homelinux.com> wrote:

> On 06/25/2010 11:54 PM, Nilesh Govindarajan wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Recently I've been going to my friends' house and installing arch
> > on their boxes. Some of them had high speed wireless dialup
> > internet (3.1 megabytes/s is the max) which required wvdial, so I
> > had to carry wvdial's package in another pen drive.
> >
> > It would be nice if wvdial was included in the ISO, so such people
> > can have the latest system if they conduct an FTP install.
> >
> Maybe CC a copy of this to the arch-releng ML. Oh wait I just did.
> And perhaps add a feature request to the Release Eng bug tracker/

As far as I can see, none of the current packages [1] contains a dialing
tool, so looks ok for me.

[1]
http://projects.archlinux.org/archiso.git/tree/configs/syslinux-iso/packages.i686

Dieter
 
Old 06-26-2010, 12:49 PM
Nilesh Govindarajan
 
Default Inclusion of wvdial in the ISO

On 06/26/2010 05:10 PM, Dieter Plaetinck wrote:

On Sat, 26 Jun 2010 00:22:39 -0600
jwbirdsong<jwbirdsong@jwbirdsong.homelinux.com> wrote:


On 06/25/2010 11:54 PM, Nilesh Govindarajan wrote:

Hi,

Recently I've been going to my friends' house and installing arch
on their boxes. Some of them had high speed wireless dialup
internet (3.1 megabytes/s is the max) which required wvdial, so I
had to carry wvdial's package in another pen drive.

It would be nice if wvdial was included in the ISO, so such people
can have the latest system if they conduct an FTP install.


Maybe CC a copy of this to the arch-releng ML. Oh wait I just did.
And perhaps add a feature request to the Release Eng bug tracker/


As far as I can see, none of the current packages [1] contains a dialing
tool, so looks ok for me.

[1]
http://projects.archlinux.org/archiso.git/tree/configs/syslinux-iso/packages.i686

Dieter


Yeah. As far as dialing software is considered, I think wvdial is the
best one available out there (I don't know if any others exist ).
Here in India, its hard to get Linux support for such wireless internet
devices officially from the ISP (It seems they don't like Linux lol),
but still some people (geeks) have devised methods using wvdial and
usb_modeswitch (if required) to use them.


--
Regards,
Nilesh Govindarajan
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/nilesh.gr
Twitter: http://twitter.com/nileshgr
Website: http://www.itech7.com
Cheap and Reliable VPS Hosting: http://j.mp/arHk5e
 
Old 06-26-2010, 05:07 PM
Tobias Powalowski
 
Default Inclusion of wvdial in the ISO

Am Samstag 26 Juni 2010 schrieb Nilesh Govindarajan:
> On 06/26/2010 05:10 PM, Dieter Plaetinck wrote:
> > On Sat, 26 Jun 2010 00:22:39 -0600
> >
> > jwbirdsong<jwbirdsong@jwbirdsong.homelinux.com> wrote:
> >> On 06/25/2010 11:54 PM, Nilesh Govindarajan wrote:
> >>> Hi,
> >>>
> >>> Recently I've been going to my friends' house and installing arch
> >>> on their boxes. Some of them had high speed wireless dialup
> >>> internet (3.1 megabytes/s is the max) which required wvdial, so I
> >>> had to carry wvdial's package in another pen drive.
> >>>
> >>> It would be nice if wvdial was included in the ISO, so such people
> >>> can have the latest system if they conduct an FTP install.
> >>
> >> Maybe CC a copy of this to the arch-releng ML. Oh wait I just did.
> >> And perhaps add a feature request to the Release Eng bug tracker/
> >
> > As far as I can see, none of the current packages [1] contains a dialing
> > tool, so looks ok for me.
> >
> > [1]
> > http://projects.archlinux.org/archiso.git/tree/configs/syslinux-iso/packa
> > ges.i686
> >
> > Dieter
>
> Yeah. As far as dialing software is considered, I think wvdial is the
> best one available out there (I don't know if any others exist ).
> Here in India, its hard to get Linux support for such wireless internet
> devices officially from the ISP (It seems they don't like Linux lol),
> but still some people (geeks) have devised methods using wvdial and
> usb_modeswitch (if required) to use them.
archboot images contain ppp to do everything, wvdial is imho not needed.

--
Tobias Powalowski
Archlinux Developer & Package Maintainer (tpowa)
http://www.archlinux.org
tpowa@archlinux.org
 
Old 06-26-2010, 07:41 PM
Ray Rashif
 
Default Inclusion of wvdial in the ISO

On 27 June 2010 01:07, Tobias Powalowski <t.powa@gmx.de> wrote:
> Am Samstag 26 Juni 2010 schrieb Nilesh Govindarajan:
>> On 06/26/2010 05:10 PM, Dieter Plaetinck wrote:
>> > On Sat, 26 Jun 2010 00:22:39 -0600
>> >
>> > jwbirdsong<jwbirdsong@jwbirdsong.homelinux.com> *wrote:
>> >> * *On 06/25/2010 11:54 PM, Nilesh Govindarajan wrote:
>> >>> Hi,
>> >>>
>> >>> Recently I've been going to my friends' house and installing arch
>> >>> on their boxes. Some of them had high speed wireless dialup
>> >>> internet (3.1 megabytes/s is the max) which required wvdial, so I
>> >>> had to carry wvdial's package in another pen drive.
>> >>>
>> >>> It would be nice if wvdial was included in the ISO, so such people
>> >>> can have the latest system if they conduct an FTP install.
>> >>
>> >> Maybe CC a copy of this to the arch-releng ML. *Oh wait I just did.
>> >> And perhaps add a feature request to the Release Eng bug tracker/
>> >
>> > As far as I can see, none of the current packages [1] contains a dialing
>> > tool, so looks ok for me.
>> >
>> > [1]
>> > http://projects.archlinux.org/archiso.git/tree/configs/syslinux-iso/packa
>> > ges.i686
>> >
>> > Dieter
>>
>> Yeah. As far as dialing software is considered, I think wvdial is the
>> best one available out there (I don't know if any others exist ).
>> Here in India, its hard to get Linux support for such wireless internet
>> devices officially from the ISP (It seems they don't like Linux lol),
>> but still some people (geeks) have devised methods using wvdial and
>> usb_modeswitch (if required) to use them.
> archboot images contain ppp to do everything, wvdial is imho not needed.

And such is the case for all other distros; wvdial is not included by
default because it's just a dialer for ppp (chap scripts are what act
as a dialer in absence of a real dialer).

You can wvdial on a working system and keep a backup of the ppp
scripts for use on multiple machines. I myself, however, never went
through so much trouble. It's not so annoying to keep a copy of wvdial
and install it offline.

http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/research/srg/netos/coms/unix.html
http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/T-Mobile_pppd_scripts


--
GPG/PGP ID: B42DDCAD
 
Old 06-27-2010, 09:35 AM
Dieter Plaetinck
 
Default Inclusion of wvdial in the ISO

So, what?
we better include ppp and not wvdial?

Dieter
 
Old 06-27-2010, 10:16 AM
Ray Rashif
 
Default Inclusion of wvdial in the ISO

On 27 June 2010 17:35, Dieter Plaetinck <dieter@plaetinck.be> wrote:
> So, what?
> we better include ppp and not wvdial?

No, it will definitely help if it's included - you just have to make
an exception and try to fit it in with the rest of the packages in
src/core/pkg (ppp is already part of base, whereas wvdial is in
extra). Perhaps a request to bring it into core in light of cases like
this?


--
GPG/PGP ID: B42DDCAD
 
Old 06-27-2010, 02:43 PM
Dieter Plaetinck
 
Default Inclusion of wvdial in the ISO

On Sun, 27 Jun 2010 18:16:58 +0800
Ray Rashif <schivmeister@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 27 June 2010 17:35, Dieter Plaetinck <dieter@plaetinck.be> wrote:
> > So, what?
> > we better include ppp and not wvdial?
>
> No, it will definitely help if it's included - you just have to make
> an exception and try to fit it in with the rest of the packages in
> src/core/pkg (ppp is already part of base, whereas wvdial is in
> extra). Perhaps a request to bring it into core in light of cases like
> this?

Then probably we should move wvdial to core just like ie. pppoe stuff is
in core, no need for a special exceptions. And then we'd include it in
the package list for archiso. Having it in /src/core/pkg on the iso
will be a good sideeffect, not a primary goal.
I suggest someone who is into this stuff takes over, because I don't
really know what i'm talking about.

Dieter
 
Old 06-27-2010, 04:59 PM
Tobias Powalowski
 
Default Inclusion of wvdial in the ISO

Am Sonntag 27 Juni 2010 schrieb Dieter Plaetinck:
> On Sun, 27 Jun 2010 18:16:58 +0800
>
> Ray Rashif <schivmeister@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 27 June 2010 17:35, Dieter Plaetinck <dieter@plaetinck.be> wrote:
> > > So, what?
> > > we better include ppp and not wvdial?
> >
> > No, it will definitely help if it's included - you just have to make
> > an exception and try to fit it in with the rest of the packages in
> > src/core/pkg (ppp is already part of base, whereas wvdial is in
> > extra). Perhaps a request to bring it into core in light of cases like
> > this?
>
> Then probably we should move wvdial to core just like ie. pppoe stuff is
> in core, no need for a special exceptions. And then we'd include it in
> the package list for archiso. Having it in /src/core/pkg on the iso
> will be a good sideeffect, not a primary goal.
> I suggest someone who is into this stuff takes over, because I don't
> really know what i'm talking about.
>
> Dieter
Why to have a second app for dialing in core if ppp can handle already this
stuff?

Just my 2 cents.
greetings
tpowa
--
Tobias Powalowski
Archlinux Developer & Package Maintainer (tpowa)
http://www.archlinux.org
tpowa@archlinux.org
 
Old 06-28-2010, 01:48 AM
Nilesh Govindarajan
 
Default Inclusion of wvdial in the ISO

On 06/27/2010 10:29 PM, Tobias Powalowski wrote:

Am Sonntag 27 Juni 2010 schrieb Dieter Plaetinck:

On Sun, 27 Jun 2010 18:16:58 +0800

Ray Rashif<schivmeister@gmail.com> wrote:

On 27 June 2010 17:35, Dieter Plaetinck<dieter@plaetinck.be> wrote:

So, what?
we better include ppp and not wvdial?


No, it will definitely help if it's included - you just have to make
an exception and try to fit it in with the rest of the packages in
src/core/pkg (ppp is already part of base, whereas wvdial is in
extra). Perhaps a request to bring it into core in light of cases like
this?


Then probably we should move wvdial to core just like ie. pppoe stuff is
in core, no need for a special exceptions. And then we'd include it in
the package list for archiso. Having it in /src/core/pkg on the iso
will be a good sideeffect, not a primary goal.
I suggest someone who is into this stuff takes over, because I don't
really know what i'm talking about.

Dieter

Why to have a second app for dialing in core if ppp can handle already this
stuff?

Just my 2 cents.
greetings
tpowa


PPP can be configured to dial, but one needs to be a super geek I think.
As I told you earlier, here in India, wvdial is supported officially,
because it automatically detects the required settings. Change Username,
Password and Phone Number. That's all, and you can have latest packages
if you do an FTP install.


--
Regards,
Nilesh Govindarajan
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/nilesh.gr
Twitter: http://twitter.com/nileshgr
Website: http://www.itech7.com
Cheap and Reliable VPS Hosting: http://j.mp/arHk5e
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 09:13 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org