Old 06-28-2010, 01:58 AM
C Anthony Risinger

Default Inclusion of wvdial in the ISO

On Sun, Jun 27, 2010 at 8:48 PM, Nilesh Govindarajan <lists@itech7.com> wrote:
> On 06/27/2010 10:29 PM, Tobias Powalowski wrote:
>>
>> Am Sonntag 27 Juni 2010 schrieb Dieter Plaetinck:

>>> Then probably we should move wvdial to core just like ie. pppoe stuff is
>>> in core, no need for a special exceptions. And then we'd include it in
>>> the package list for archiso. Having it in /src/core/pkg on the iso
>>> will be a good sideeffect, not a primary goal.
>>> I suggest someone who is into this stuff takes over, because I don't
>>> really know what i'm talking about.
>>>
>>> Dieter
>>
>> Why to have a second app for dialing in core if ppp can handle already
>> this
>> stuff?
>>
>> Just my 2 cents.
>> greetings
>> tpowa
>
> PPP can be configured to dial, but one needs to be a super geek I think.
> As I told you earlier, here in India, wvdial is supported officially,
> because it automatically detects the required settings. Change Username,
> Password and Phone Number. That's all, and you can have latest packages if
> you do an FTP install.

so it's just not clear _how_ to do it via ppp? if that's the case i'd
say the info should be clarified/added to beginners guide and official
installation guide, esp. the official since thats on any install disk.

from beginners guide:

[core]
The simple principle behind [core] is to provide only one of each
necessary tool for a base Arch Linux system; The GNU toolchain, the
Linux kernel, one editor, one command line browser, etc. (There are a
few exceptions to this. For instance, both vi and nano are provided,
allowing the user to choose one or both.)

not that everything is set in stone, ie. nano/vi, but if the problem
is just a lack of documentation/understanding then we should just fix
that. i have never needed to dial up (only ever had broadband), but
the instructions there seem rather easy?

C Anthony

Old 06-28-2010, 07:33 AM
Jesse Jaara

I think there has to be some easy way to connect using a connection
thats need some dialing, as here in Finland too these 3G usb modems are
extreamly popular and lots of people whit no existing connection and
even some whit exisiting connection are changeing to them. I don't know
if the sofware that needs to be in the iso is wvdial or some else or
just the pppd that currently is in it.

--
*Jesse Jaara*
jesse.jaara@gmail.com

Old 06-30-2010, 11:56 AM
Nilesh Govindarajan

What's the position ? Its included or not ?

Nilesh Govindarajan
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/nilesh.gr
Twitter: http://twitter.com/nileshgr
Website: http://www.itech7.com
Cheap and Reliable VPS Hosting: http://j.mp/arHk5e

Old 10-13-2010, 11:16 PM
Ray Rashif

On 30 June 2010 19:56, Nilesh Govindarajan <lists@itech7.com> wrote:
> What's the position ? Its included or not ?

I see this hasn't received any attention over the months. Could you try:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/DialupModemHowto/SetUpDialer#Alternative
Way 2 (using pppconfig & pon/poff)

--
GPG/PGP ID: B42DDCAD