Old 06-26-2010, 01:46 AM
Damjan Georgievski

Default devtmpfs

Now that DEVTMPFS is enabled by default in the Arch configuration,
what are its benefits?
Can I make an initramfs without udev now?
And if I do will I be able to use root=/dev/disk/by-uuid/xx-yy-zz-etc
or any of the similar kernel command line options?

--
damjan

Old 06-26-2010, 09:47 AM
Thomas Bächler

Am 26.06.2010 03:46, schrieb Damjan Georgievski:
> Now that DEVTMPFS is enabled by default in the Arch configuration,
> what are its benefits?

Some of the initial setup at boot is simplified. Some race conditions
don't exist anymore. And it may happen that future udev features require
devtmpfs.

> Can I make an initramfs without udev now?

In many cases, yes, but that was also possible before devtmpfs. I'd
recommend against it, as you need to configure all necessary modules
manually - if their names change during update, your system breaks.

> And if I do will I be able to use root=/dev/disk/by-uuid/xx-yy-zz-etc

No.

> or any of the similar kernel command line options?

Which ones?

Old 06-26-2010, 11:50 AM
Damjan Georgievski

>> And if I do will I be able to use root=/dev/disk/by-uuid/xx-yy-zz-etc
>
> No.
>
>> or any of the similar kernel command line options?
>
> Which ones?

I meant the options like root=/dev/disk/by-label or maybe
root=LABEL=Arch or something

--
damjan

Old 06-26-2010, 11:53 AM
Thomas Bächler

Am 26.06.2010 13:50, schrieb Damjan Georgievski:
>>> And if I do will I be able to use root=/dev/disk/by-uuid/xx-yy-zz-etc
>>
>> No.
>>
>>> or any of the similar kernel command line options?
>>
>> Which ones?
>
> I meant the options like root=/dev/disk/by-label or maybe
> root=LABEL=Arch or something

No, none of this will work.

Old 06-26-2010, 02:31 PM
Chris Bannister

As far as im aware it doesnt work with initramfs either.

Old 06-26-2010, 04:47 PM
Andrej Gelenberg

And if I do will I be able to use root=/dev/disk/by-uuid/xx-yy-zz-etc

No.

or any of the similar kernel command line options?

Which ones?

I meant the options like root=/dev/disk/by-label or maybe
root=LABEL=Arch or something

you can use findfs:

dev="$(findfs UUID=<uuid>)"
if [ -e "$dev" ]
then
mount "$dev" /mnt
done

Regards,
Andrej

Old 06-27-2010, 12:15 AM
Damjan Georgievski

> As far as im aware it doesnt work with initramfs either.

You are top posting so it's entirelly not clear what are you saying
doesn't work.
But root=/dev/disk/by-uuid/xx-yy-zz-etc does work with Arch's
initramfs with udev.

--
damjan