FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor


 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 06-23-2010, 10:20 AM
Madhurya Kakati
 
Default Catalyst-test

On Wed, Jun 23, 2010 at 3:11 PM, Evangelos Foutras <foutrelis@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 23/06/10 12:18, Madhurya Kakati wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>> I haven't upgrade to Xorg 1.8 yet. The problem is that i am using
>> catalyst-test driver i.e fglrx on my system. So i wanted to know if
>> there will be any problems if i upgrade to Xorg 1.8.
>>
>> The reason i am asking this question is because of this
>>
>> *"To get it work with xorg-server>= 1.8 (when it will arrive in
>> [extra] repo) you need patched xorg-server, you may get it from
>> [catalyst-test-xorg18] repo, more here:
>> http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=740353#p740353"
>
> I had been using Catalyst 10.6 with a patched xorg-server 1.8 that reported
> its version as 1.7, I believe. However, I upgraded to xorg-server
> 1.8.1.902-1 from [extra] and noticed no issues whatsoever.
>
> Maybe give Catalyst 10.6 + xorg-server 1.8.1.902-1 a try?
>

Itsn't catalyst-test in AUR Catalyst 10.6?
 
Old 06-23-2010, 10:34 AM
Heiko Baums
 
Default Catalyst-test

Am Wed, 23 Jun 2010 15:50:37 +0530
schrieb Madhurya Kakati <mkakati2805@gmail.com>:

> Itsn't catalyst-test in AUR Catalyst 10.6?

No, it's 10.4. You should use catalyst from AUR. It's 10.6.
http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=29111

Heiko
 
Old 06-23-2010, 10:39 AM
Madhurya Kakati
 
Default Catalyst-test

On Wed, Jun 23, 2010 at 4:04 PM, Heiko Baums <lists@baums-on-web.de> wrote:
> Am Wed, 23 Jun 2010 15:50:37 +0530
> schrieb Madhurya Kakati <mkakati2805@gmail.com>:
>
>> Itsn't catalyst-test in AUR Catalyst 10.6?
>
> No, it's 10.4. You should use catalyst from AUR. It's 10.6.
> http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=29111
>
> Heiko
>

O.K so what do i have to do? just install catalyst or remove
catalyst-test and then install it?
 
Old 06-23-2010, 10:55 AM
Nathan Wayde
 
Default Catalyst-test

On 23/06/10 11:39, Madhurya Kakati wrote:

On Wed, Jun 23, 2010 at 4:04 PM, Heiko Baums<lists@baums-on-web.de> wrote:

Am Wed, 23 Jun 2010 15:50:37 +0530
schrieb Madhurya Kakati<mkakati2805@gmail.com>:


Itsn't catalyst-test in AUR Catalyst 10.6?


No, it's 10.4. You should use catalyst from AUR. It's 10.6.
http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=29111

Heiko



O.K so what do i have to do? just install catalyst or remove
catalyst-test and then install it?

instructions are here
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/ATI_Catalyst#Catalyst.27s_repositories


just pick your repo and `pacman -S catalyst` ...
 
Old 06-23-2010, 11:02 AM
Madhurya Kakati
 
Default Catalyst-test

On Wed, Jun 23, 2010 at 4:25 PM, Nathan Wayde <kumyco@konnichi.com> wrote:
> On 23/06/10 11:39, Madhurya Kakati wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Jun 23, 2010 at 4:04 PM, Heiko Baums<lists@baums-on-web.de>
>> *wrote:
>>>
>>> Am Wed, 23 Jun 2010 15:50:37 +0530
>>> schrieb Madhurya Kakati<mkakati2805@gmail.com>:
>>>
>>>> Itsn't catalyst-test in AUR Catalyst 10.6?
>>>
>>> No, it's 10.4. You should use catalyst from AUR. It's 10.6.
>>> http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=29111
>>>
>>> Heiko
>>>
>>
>> O.K so what do i have to do? just install catalyst or remove
>> catalyst-test and then install it?
>>
> instructions are here
> http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/ATI_Catalyst#Catalyst.27s_repositories
>
> just pick your repo and `pacman -S catalyst` ...
>

Nathan Wayde Thank you. Was looking for a repo. didn't knew it existed.
 
Old 06-23-2010, 11:12 AM
Nathan Wayde
 
Default Catalyst-test

On 23/06/10 12:02, Madhurya Kakati wrote:

On Wed, Jun 23, 2010 at 4:25 PM, Nathan Wayde<kumyco@konnichi.com> wrote:

On 23/06/10 11:39, Madhurya Kakati wrote:


On Wed, Jun 23, 2010 at 4:04 PM, Heiko Baums<lists@baums-on-web.de>
wrote:


Am Wed, 23 Jun 2010 15:50:37 +0530
schrieb Madhurya Kakati<mkakati2805@gmail.com>:


Itsn't catalyst-test in AUR Catalyst 10.6?


No, it's 10.4. You should use catalyst from AUR. It's 10.6.
http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=29111

Heiko



O.K so what do i have to do? just install catalyst or remove
catalyst-test and then install it?


instructions are here
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/ATI_Catalyst#Catalyst.27s_repositories

just pick your repo and `pacman -S catalyst` ...



Nathan Wayde Thank you. Was looking for a repo. didn't knew it existed.



I should also note: some of us have issues with some app most notably
xulrunner based apps like firefox and thunderbird wherein they fail to
renedr correctly thus leaving large black or greyed out portions on the
windows until they are exposed (move-over or switch tab etc).


this appears to be a bug with the new acceleration in 10.6, if you are
one of the unlucky you can force it to use the old method with

`aticonfig --set-pcs-str=DDX,ForceXAA,TRUE`
however you may then need to use a patched xorg-server that fixed a
resize/maximize/... bug
I use `pacman -S xorg-server-1.8-catalyst-maximize-fix` there is also a
another fix for the same issues under xorg-server-backclear, don't ask
me which works better I couldn't tell any difference.
 
Old 06-26-2010, 05:00 PM
Martín Cigorraga
 
Default Catalyst-test

Hi folks, first time at the list.

I'm still using catalyst-test and haven't upgraded to new
catalyst/kernel/evedev bacause some issues I never had before with Arch.

Catalyst: I installed latest catalyst with xorg-server with the maximize-fix
following instructions on the wiki posted by Nathan and while everything
installed okay KDE SC is unusable because graphic glitchs all around
(Yakuake is break as well as konsoles and most applications) and even
Kickoff menu being unusable - it shows up only after trying to open it
two/three times but can't navigate menus.

new Xorg-sever / hal: I'm running a spanish speaking Arch and with these new
versions of xorg-server and xf86-input-evdev I can't get KDM (KDE SC log-in
manager) to handle correctly my spanish keyboard -
/etc/hal/fdi/policy/10-keymap.fdi still set correctly to "es" but I read
somewhere this file is deprecated in the new Xorg 1.8

Any feedback will be very appreciated!
 
Old 06-26-2010, 06:48 PM
Nathan Wayde
 
Default Catalyst-test

On 26/06/10 18:00, Martín Cigorraga wrote:

Hi folks, first time at the list.

I'm still using catalyst-test and haven't upgraded to new
catalyst/kernel/evedev bacause some issues I never had before with Arch.

Catalyst: I installed latest catalyst with xorg-server with the maximize-fix
following instructions on the wiki posted by Nathan and while everything
installed okay KDE SC is unusable because graphic glitchs all around
(Yakuake is break as well as konsoles and most applications) and even
Kickoff menu being unusable - it shows up only after trying to open it
two/three times but can't navigate menus.

new Xorg-sever / hal: I'm running a spanish speaking Arch and with these new
versions of xorg-server and xf86-input-evdev I can't get KDM (KDE SC log-in
manager) to handle correctly my spanish keyboard -
/etc/hal/fdi/policy/10-keymap.fdi still set correctly to "es" but I read
somewhere this file is deprecated in the new Xorg 1.8

Any feedback will be very appreciated!

did you follow the wiki for new xorg:
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xorg#xorg.conf.d_.28Xorg_1.8.29 . I
haven't done any of that yet myself but it works as usual. You may need
to generate a new xorg.conf with `aticonfig --initial`
 
Old 06-26-2010, 07:02 PM
"Janno T."
 
Default Catalyst-test

On Sat, Jun 26, 2010 at 8:00 PM, Martín Cigorraga
<martosurf7600@gmail.com>wrote:

> Catalyst: I installed latest catalyst with xorg-server with the
> maximize-fix
> following instructions on the wiki posted by Nathan and while everything
> installed okay KDE SC is unusable because graphic glitchs all around
> (Yakuake is break as well as konsoles and most applications) and even
> Kickoff menu being unusable - it shows up only after trying to open it
> two/three times but can't navigate menus.
>

ATI enabled the new Direct2d by default in new drivers and thats whats
causing the heavy artifacts/glitches.
You can try
aticonfig --set-pcs-str=DDX,ForceXAA,TRUE
to disable it, worked for me, everything is glitch free atm.
 
Old 07-03-2010, 02:40 AM
Martín Cigorraga
 
Default Catalyst-test

@Nathan, Janno:

Hi guys, thanks for your time and forgive me the lapse to post my comment
but I'm literally out of time these days - personal things and such...


I did follow wiki step by step just like I do allways with all the
*excellent* Arch wikis and the only problem I found with this Catalyst
10.6.2 is composite effects are not active when loggin in - unlike with 10.4
which works ok giving me composite efffects from startup without the need to
hit Alt+Shift+F12 twice in KDE SC.

I only experience artifacts problems with xorg-server-backclear (main panel
misspainted with black squares) and xorg-server-1.8-catalyst-maximize-fix
which renders Kickoff menu and Yakuake unusable.
Seems I have to wait to new Catalyst release this time

Once again, thanks!
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 07:24 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org