Old 06-22-2010, 09:01 PM
Attila

Default makepkg creates symlink to the package file

Hello together,

since the new pacman a makepkg run creates a symlink to the package file in the
directory of the PKGBUILD. Example:

# ls -l *.gz
opera-snapshot-10.60-6378.2ah-i686.pkg.tar.gz ->
/server/work/archlinux/repo/opera-snapshot-10.60-6378.2ah-i686.pkg.tar.gz

My differences to makepkg.conf.pacnew be this:

MAKEFLAGS="-j2"
CFLAGS="-march=i686 -mtune=generic -O2 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer"
CXXFLAGS="-march=i686 -mtune=generic -O2 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer"
BUILDENV=(fakeroot !distcc !color !ccache)
OPTIONS=(strip !docs libtool emptydirs zipman purge)
PKGDEST=/server/work/archlinux/repo
PACKAGER="Attila <SysAdmin@hunnen>"
PKGEXT='.pkg.tar.gz'

[/server/work is a cifs mount point]

Have i overseen something in the makepkg.conf to control this or does no one
have this problem ... or is this a new feature which have to be so?

See you, Attila

Old 06-22-2010, 11:31 PM
Allan McRae

[...]

New feature. If PKGDEST is set, it creates a symbolic link to the
packages in the working directory. I think the idea was that most of
the time you will want to "pacman -U <pkg>" at the end of the build and
that save you typing the whole PKGDEST path.

Allan

Old 06-23-2010, 12:47 AM
Ng Oon-Ee

On Wed, Jun 23, 2010 at 7:31 AM, Allan McRae <allan@archlinux.org> wrote:
> On 23/06/10 07:01, Attila wrote:
>>
>> Hello together,
>>
>> since the new pacman a makepkg run creates a symlink to the package file
>> in the
>> directory of the PKGBUILD. Example:
>>
>> # ls -l *.gz
>> opera-snapshot-10.60-6378.2ah-i686.pkg.tar.gz ->
>> /server/work/archlinux/repo/opera-snapshot-10.60-6378.2ah-i686.pkg.tar.gz
>>
>> My differences to makepkg.conf.pacnew be this:
>>
>> MAKEFLAGS="-j2"
>> CFLAGS="-march=i686 -mtune=generic -O2 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer"
>> CXXFLAGS="-march=i686 -mtune=generic -O2 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer"
>> BUILDENV=(fakeroot !distcc !color !ccache)
>> OPTIONS=(strip !docs libtool emptydirs zipman purge)
>> PKGDEST=/server/work/archlinux/repo
>> PACKAGER="Attila<SysAdmin@hunnen>"
>> PKGEXT='.pkg.tar.gz'
>>
>> [/server/work is a cifs mount point]
>>
>> Have i overseen something in the makepkg.conf to control this or does no
>> one
>> have this problem ... or is this a new feature which have to be so?
>
> New feature. * If PKGDEST is set, it creates a symbolic link to the packages
> in the working directory. *I think the idea was that most of the time you
> will want to "pacman -U <pkg>" at the end of the build and that save you
> typing the whole PKGDEST path.
>
> Allan

Wouldn't those who want to do that do a makepkg -i? The thing about
leaving a symbolic link is that the next time you do pacman -Sc its
still there. Scripting removal of dead links is dead simple though, so
not a problem for me.

Old 06-23-2010, 01:55 AM
Baho Utot

[...]

What about SRCDEST ?
Creating a sym link from source package to the build directory would be
handy as well.

Old 06-23-2010, 02:08 AM
"Allan McRae"

[...]

Do you mean SRCDEST or SRCPKGDEST. The first should already work, the
second has a patch on the pacman mailing list.

Allan

Old 06-23-2010, 03:48 AM
"Allan McRae"

[...]

Possibly... I do not use "makepkg -i" as I use "makepkg -sr" so it
removed the makedepends that will be unneeded in the future. Using
"makepkg -c" clean up the dangling symlinks.

Allan

Old 06-23-2010, 04:06 AM
Dan McGee

On Tue, Jun 22, 2010 at 10:48 PM, Allan McRae <allan@archlinux.org> wrote:
> On 23/06/10 10:47, Ng Oon-Ee wrote:

>>> New feature. * If PKGDEST is set, it creates a symbolic link to the
>>> packages
>>> in the working directory. *I think the idea was that most of the time you
>>> will want to "pacman -U<pkg>" at the end of the build and that save you
>>> typing the whole PKGDEST path.
>>>
>>> Allan
>>
>> Wouldn't those who want to do that do a makepkg -i? The thing about
>> leaving a symbolic link is that the next time you do pacman -Sc its
>> still there. Scripting removal of dead links is dead simple though, so
>> not a problem for me.
>>

> Possibly... * I do not use "makepkg -i" as I use "makepkg -sr" so it removed
> the makedepends that will be unneeded in the future. * Using "makepkg -c"
> clean up the dangling symlinks.

It is also a very helpful symlink for those of us that like to run
namcap after building to check the package.

-Dan

Old 06-23-2010, 05:11 AM
Attila

At Mittwoch, 23. Juni 2010 05:48 Allan McRae wrote:

> Possibly... I do not use "makepkg -i" as I use "makepkg -sr" so it
> removed the makedepends that will be unneeded in the future. Using
> "makepkg -c" clean up the dangling symlinks.

I even use "makepkg -c" too and the symlink is still there. And i never install
my own packages with "pacman -U" because i have my own repo on the server.
Therefore i use "pacman -S" because than i can install it from my other pc too.

Or do you mean that a "makepkg -c" will clean elder invalid symlinks?

See you, Attila

Old 06-23-2010, 05:12 AM
Attila

At Mittwoch, 23. Juni 2010 06:06 Dan McGee wrote:

> It is also a very helpful symlink for those of us that like to run
> namcap after building to check the package.

That is an advantage ... because i forgot in the most cases to run it and now
the motivation to do it is higher.-)

See you, Attila

Old 06-23-2010, 05:26 AM
"Allan McRae"

Or do you mean that a "makepkg -c" will clean elder invalid symlinks?

This one.