Old 06-22-2010, 07:12 PM
Josef Tupag

Default Arch Linux

Has anyone tried Arch Linux on their thinkpad? I just want to know how fast
it is. I don't like the long boot that is found in Ubuntu and many other
distro.

Josef Tupag best humidifiers <http://thebesthumidifiers.com>

Old 06-22-2010, 08:24 PM
Joshua Sorensen

I've been running it on my X61 for a while now. For the most part? I'm way
happy. it's pretty fast, and reliable. However, I have had some issues with
my wireless card but that's been acting up for years without me being able
to figure out what the problem is (in windows and in linux). All in all
however i'd say go for it. Of course the speed of the boot and how quickly
your system runs really depends on what you install. a bare-bones system
will run much faster with one that has gnome thrown on it because gnome is
heavier than nothing :P.

-Josh

Old 06-22-2010, 08:25 PM

On Tue, Jun 22, 2010 at 10:12:30PM +0300, Josef Tupag wrote:

> Has anyone tried Arch Linux on their thinkpad? I just want to know how fast
> it is. I don't like the long boot that is found in Ubuntu and many other
> distro.

I'm writing this on an R51. It has seen Suse, Fedora and
finally Arch, and it never booted as fast as it does now.

Ciao,

--
FA

O tu, che porte, correndo si ?
E guerra e morte !

Old 06-22-2010, 08:31 PM
Thomas Jost

On Tue, 22 Jun 2010 22:12:30 +0300, Josef Tupag <joseftupag@gmail.com> wrote:
> Has anyone tried Arch Linux on their thinkpad? I just want to know how fast
> it is. I don't like the long boot that is found in Ubuntu and many other
> distro.

Using Arch on my R61 since I bought it, never used anything else on it.
Boot is very fast, but since suspend-to-ram works very well (running
"s2ram -f -a 2"), I don't really care about boot time

Thomas/Schnouki

Old 06-22-2010, 08:36 PM
Thomas Haider

Am Tue, 22 Jun 2010 22:12:30 +0300
schrieb Josef Tupag <joseftupag@gmail.com>:

> Has anyone tried Arch Linux on their thinkpad? I just want to know
> how fast it is. I don't like the long boot that is found in Ubuntu
> and many other distro.
>
> Josef Tupag best humidifiers <http://thebesthumidifiers.com>

I'm pretty happy with it on my x31. Except for suspend2disk everything
works flawlessly and fast.

Old 06-22-2010, 08:44 PM
Joshua Sorensen

Suspend to disk works really well on my X61, maybe it's just the x31 that
had issues.

-Josh

Old 06-22-2010, 09:23 PM
John Holbrook

Installed Arch on my X500 and it works amazingly well. Pretty fast and
I have a lot of features working that I could never get working with
OpenSUSE.

Old 06-22-2010, 10:58 PM
Sergey Manucharian

Excerpts from Thomas Jost's message of Tue, 22 Jun 2010 22:31 +0200:

> On Tue, 22 Jun 2010 22:12:30 +0300, Josef Tupag
> <joseftupag@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Has anyone tried Arch Linux on their thinkpad? I just want to know
> > how fast it is. I don't like the long boot that is found in Ubuntu
> > and many other distro.
>
> Using Arch on my R61 since I bought it, never used anything else on
> it. Boot is very fast, but since suspend-to-ram works very well
> (running "s2ram -f -a 2"), I don't really care about boot time

Two years on R61 - everything works well and fast. Sometimes I run even
a couple of VMs (in vbox) simultaneously without any sense of lag. Very
happy with it.

Cheers,
Sergey

Old 06-23-2010, 03:33 AM
甘露(Gan Lu)

On Wed, Jun 23, 2010 at 5:23 AM, John Holbrook <johnholbrook@gmail.com> wrote:
> Installed Arch on my X500 and it works amazingly well. Pretty fast and
> I have a lot of features working that I could never get working with
> OpenSUSE.

T43P works well too, but is there a model X500 from lenovo?

Old 06-23-2010, 03:36 PM
John Holbrook

Sorry. I was having a blonde moment there. T500. Not X500.

I had X series servers on the brain from IBM.