Old 06-22-2010, 03:40 AM
Gaurish Sharma

Default Kudos to the Arch devs!

Hi,
I would be interested to know your experience of running arch as
server os. running I use distros like debian,CentOS etc. till now I
have been scared of running arch as server.

Please share your experience

Regards,
Gaurish Sharma

Old 06-22-2010, 04:02 AM
Brendan Long

On 06/21/2010 09:40 PM, Gaurish Sharma wrote:
> Hi,
> I would be interested to know your experience of running arch as
> server os. running I use distros like debian,CentOS etc. till now I
> have been scared of running arch as server.
>
> Please share your experience
>

> Regards,
> Gaurish Sharma

I'm obviously not the person you were replying to, but I've been running
Arch for around 6 months on a web server with no problems at all (using
Apache + MySQL + PHP then Lighttpd + PostgreSQL + PHP). I used to use
Ubuntu, but recompiling PHP to turn GD back on every update was getting
on my nerves.

- Brendan Long

Old 06-22-2010, 01:24 PM
Ananda Samaddar

On Mon, 21 Jun 2010 18:44:44 -0500
"David C. Rankin" <drankinatty@suddenlinkmail.com> wrote:

> Great Job Devs. That brings my total Arch installs to 7,
> including my 2 primary servers. Arch has nailed what a distro should
> be and that's something worth jealously guarding against the
> pressures of change ;-)

I can't say that I totally agree with not changing. I still think we
need a Security Team and signed packages to be considered secure enough
to be deployed as a server OS. I'm working on providing the former, the
latter will hopefully be done soon too.

Ananda

Old 06-22-2010, 01:24 PM
Nilesh Govindarajan

On 06/22/2010 09:10 AM, Gaurish Sharma wrote:

Hi,
I would be interested to know your experience of running arch as
server os. running I use distros like debian,CentOS etc. till now I
have been scared of running arch as server.

Please share your experience

Regards,
Gaurish Sharma

Even I've started using arch on the server (the second VPS, of my
friend), (you know if you've read my thread limit posts, etc.)

Arch makes a perfect distro for server I feel. It doesn't install stuff
by default which makes things rock solid. The admin knows what is
installed and what not, so troubleshooting is easy in case someone hacks
in through a security hole.

Also it is damn easy to use those PKGBUILD scripts from AUR to have
custom compiled software under the same name, so it won't create the
dependency issues. For example phpmyadmin depends on mysql-clients and
php, you can have those packages with the same name, or under a custom
name with provides=() in the PKGBUILDs of php and mysql.

So binaries can be self compiled for optimization and use scripts like
pma, python ones, etc. directly from the repos.

Nilesh Govindarajan
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/nilesh.gr
Twitter: http://twitter.com/nileshgr
Website: http://www.itech7.com
Cheap and Reliable VPS Hosting: http://j.mp/arHk5e

Old 06-22-2010, 03:23 PM
Sergey Manucharian

Excerpts from Gaurish Sharma's message of Tue, 22 Jun 2010 09:10 +0530:

> I would be interested to know your experience of running arch as
> server os. running I use distros like debian,CentOS etc. till now I
> have been scared of running arch as server.
>
> Please share your experience

I'm using one Arch server as a Samba domain controller (3 years)
for ~30 workstations (mostly running Windows XP), file server
(including server-based Windows applications), SVN server and my
second Arch server is used (also for 3 years) as ftp server, http+php
server and Flyspray issue tracker.

Everything work fine, but I'm doing updates only ones in 2-3 months.

Cheers,
Sergey