Old 06-21-2010, 10:35 AM
"Guillermo Leira"

Default Do I need HAL?

> >> Not for X. You may still need it for other things...
> >>
> >> Allan
> >>
> > Most notabaly KDE and Thunar
>
> and in gnome with gnome-power-manager to have some special keys support

Hi,

How can I know if I still need HAL?

Best regards,

Guillermo Leira

Old 06-21-2010, 10:46 AM
Matthew Monaco

On 06/21/2010 06:35 AM, Guillermo Leira wrote:

WOW nice. So HAL is not needed anymore ?

Not for X. You may still need it for other things...

Allan

Most notabaly KDE and Thunar

and in gnome with gnome-power-manager to have some special keys support

Hi,

How can I know if I still need HAL?

Best regards,

Guillermo Leira

After an upgrade, it will remain on your system if you do a pacman -Qdt

Old 06-21-2010, 10:50 AM
Allan McRae

WOW nice. So HAL is not needed anymore ?

Not for X. You may still need it for other things...

Allan

Most notabaly KDE and Thunar

and in gnome with gnome-power-manager to have some special keys support

Hi,

How can I know if I still need HAL?

run "/etc/rc.d/hal stop" and remove it from your DAEMONS array. If
stuff breaks, you needed it.

Allan

Old 06-21-2010, 10:50 AM
Ananda Samaddar

On Mon, 21 Jun 2010 12:35:23 +0200
"Guillermo Leira" <gleira@gleira.com> wrote:

> > > Most notabaly KDE and Thunar
> >
> > and in gnome with gnome-power-manager to have some special keys
> > support
>
> Hi,
>
> How can I know if I still need HAL?
>
> Best regards,
>
> Guillermo Leira

You still need it if you're using XFCE.

Ananda

Old 06-21-2010, 10:56 AM
"PT M."

$ pacman -Qi hal
Name : hal
Version : 0.5.14-4
Required By : gnome-vfs vlc

--
Arch Linuxer, Pythoner, Geek
--> Blog: http://apt-blog.net

Old 06-21-2010, 10:57 AM
Lukas Fleischer

On Mon, Jun 21, 2010 at 06:46:13AM -0400, Matthew Monaco wrote:
> >How can I know if I still need HAL?
> [...]
> After an upgrade, it will remain on your system if you do a pacman -Qdt

... which will, however, only work if hal hasn't been installed
explicitly and will also disregard optdeps.

If you're not sure whether to remove hal or net, it's best to check
packages for hal optdeps and disable hal for a while (remove it from the
"DAEMONS" line in your "/etc/rc.conf"). If everything still works as
expected you can most likely remove it.

Old 06-21-2010, 11:13 AM
Gmail

Im not 100% sure if KDE will work whit out hall, but KDE doesent use hal
directly instead it uses the Solid framework of KDE. Solid isint dependant of
one spesific bacend, but its like phonon so you can have multiple differend back
ends whit it. i do not have any Idea of the state of differend backebnd, mayby
some one whit more knowelege could provide additional information.

Old 06-21-2010, 11:19 AM
"Guillermo Leira"

> > How can I know if I still need HAL?
> >

> run "/etc/rc.d/hal stop" and remove it from your DAEMONS array. If
> stuff breaks, you needed it.
>
> Allan

Thank you very much to all. :-)

I'll have to mix all the answers: I have systems with XFCE and GNOME, physical and virtual... I'll check dependencies and I'll also try to remove hal from daemons array.

Best Regards,

Guillermo Leira

Old 06-21-2010, 03:36 PM
"Jeffrey Lynn Parke Jr."

On Mon, Jun 21, 2010 at 5:50 AM, Ananda Samaddar <ananda@samaddar.co.uk>wrote:

> > > and in gnome with gnome-power-manager to have some special keys
> > > support
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > How can I know if I still need HAL?
> >
> > Best regards,
> >
> > Guillermo Leira
> >

> You still need it if you're using XFCE.
>
> Ananda

that's because Thunar and Exo still use hal

Old 06-21-2010, 07:21 PM
"Jérôme M. Berger"

Matthew Monaco wrote:
> On 06/21/2010 06:35 AM, Guillermo Leira wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> How can I know if I still need HAL?
>>
>> Best regards,
>>
>> Guillermo Leira
>>
> After an upgrade, it will remain on your system if you do a pacman -Qdt

According to that rule, I don't need xorg-server !??? Some packages
are missing a dep here, I think...

Jerome
--
mailto:jeberger@free.fr