Old 06-21-2010, 03:13 AM
"Allan McRae"

Default Xorg 1.8 moves to extra

On 21/06/10 13:04, Nilesh Govindarajan wrote:

On 06/21/2010 02:31 AM, Arch Linux: Recent news updates: Andreas Radke
wrote:

Andreas Radke wrote:

This release works with udev for input hotplugging and supports
/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/*.conf as a replacement for the hal .fdi files.
After
upgrading to this release, configuration for input devices in hal is
ignored.
Documentation about this change can be found on:
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xorg#xorg.conf.d_.28Xorg_1.8.29
Nvidia-173xx
and -96xx drivers currently don't support the new Xorg release. We
recommend
using the xf86-video-nouveau driver package for now.

WOW nice. So HAL is not needed anymore ?

Not for X. You may still need it for other things...

Allan

Old 06-21-2010, 03:26 AM
Nilesh Govindarajan

On 06/21/2010 02:31 AM, Arch Linux: Recent news updates: Andreas Radke
This release works with udev for input hotplugging and supports
/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/*.conf as a replacement for the hal .fdi files.
After
upgrading to this release, configuration for input devices in hal is
ignored.
Documentation about this change can be found on:
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xorg#xorg.conf.d_.28Xorg_1.8.29
Nvidia-173xx
and -96xx drivers currently don't support the new Xorg release. We
recommend
using the xf86-video-nouveau driver package for now.

WOW nice. So HAL is not needed anymore ?

Not for X. You may still need it for other things...

Allan

Other things in the sense GNOME, KDE ?

Nilesh Govindarajan
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/nilesh.gr
Twitter: http://twitter.com/nileshgr
Website: http://www.itech7.com
Cheap and Reliable VPS Hosting: http://j.mp/arHk5e

Old 06-21-2010, 03:34 AM
jwbirdsong

On 06/21/2010 02:31 AM, Arch Linux: Recent news updates: Andreas Radke
This release works with udev for input hotplugging and supports
/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/*.conf as a replacement for the hal .fdi files.
After
upgrading to this release, configuration for input devices in hal is
ignored.
Documentation about this change can be found on:
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xorg#xorg.conf.d_.28Xorg_1.8.29
Nvidia-173xx
and -96xx drivers currently don't support the new Xorg release. We
recommend
using the xf86-video-nouveau driver package for now.

WOW nice. So HAL is not needed anymore ?

Not for X. You may still need it for other things...

Allan

Most notabaly KDE and Thunar

Old 06-21-2010, 09:14 AM
Ionuț Bîru

On 06/21/2010 02:31 AM, Arch Linux: Recent news updates: Andreas Radke
This release works with udev for input hotplugging and supports
/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/*.conf as a replacement for the hal .fdi files.
After
upgrading to this release, configuration for input devices in hal is
ignored.
Documentation about this change can be found on:
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xorg#xorg.conf.d_.28Xorg_1.8.29
Nvidia-173xx
and -96xx drivers currently don't support the new Xorg release. We
recommend
using the xf86-video-nouveau driver package for now.

WOW nice. So HAL is not needed anymore ?

Not for X. You may still need it for other things...

Allan

Most notabaly KDE and Thunar

and in gnome with gnome-power-manager to have some special keys support

--
Ionuț

Old 06-21-2010, 01:35 PM
甘露(Gan Lu)

On Mon, Jun 21, 2010 at 5:14 PM, Ionuț Bîru <biru.ionut@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 06/21/2010 06:34 AM, jwbirdsong wrote:

>>> Not for X. You may still need it for other things...
Not far away, not far away, I just got gnome-vfs and podsleuth
depending on it, which is scheduled to be removed by GNOME3 and
banshee. New xorg update brings me a apparently smoother feeling when
I scroll pages in Firefox, which is a big advantage for me, thanks for
devs.

Old 06-21-2010, 02:11 PM
Nilesh Govindarajan

[...]

Even kdelibs requires it.