Old 06-19-2010, 07:01 PM
Ananda Samaddar

Default Slim login manager is logging everything

I'm using Slim as my login manager and it's logging absolutely
everything. Things like gstreamer and alsa errors. This is making the
log file huge, of the order of 8 gb when compressed. Can anyone think
of a solution? I could always use the hack of putting the logfile
in /tmp but I don't want to do that. /var is not on a separate
partition and I'm not prepared to re-partition my system. Obviously
with such large logfiles I'm getting performance issues.

I'm an XFCE user so I'd like to avoid kdm and gdm. Are are there any
other alternative X11 login apps other than xdm that don't depend on
GNOME or KDE if I can't fix my issue with Slim?

thanks,

Ananda

Old 06-19-2010, 07:28 PM
"Jeroen Op 't Eynde"

On Sat, 19 Jun 2010 21:01:53 +0200, Ananda Samaddar
I'm using Slim as my login manager and it's logging absolutely
everything. Things like gstreamer and alsa errors. This is making the
log file huge, of the order of 8 gb when compressed. Can anyone think
of a solution? I could always use the hack of putting the logfile
in /tmp but I don't want to do that. /var is not on a separate
partition and I'm not prepared to re-partition my system. Obviously
with such large logfiles I'm getting performance issues.

I'm an XFCE user so I'd like to avoid kdm and gdm. Are are there any
other alternative X11 login apps other than xdm that don't depend on
GNOME or KDE if I can't fix my issue with Slim?

thanks,

Ananda

I'm using xdm with a modified xdm-archlinux (blackified) theme since a
week or so. It is simple and it just works!
I've used Slim before and after that I didn't use anything, just
autologon, but that isn't really safe for a laptop. I'm not sure about the
log files, never took a look at it.

-- To read: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posting_style#Bottom-posting

Old 06-19-2010, 09:09 PM
Eric Bélanger

On Sat, Jun 19, 2010 at 3:01 PM, Ananda Samaddar <ananda@samaddar.co.uk> wrote:
> I'm using Slim as my login manager and it's logging absolutely
> everything. *Things like gstreamer and alsa errors. *This is making the
> log file huge, of the order of 8 gb when compressed. *Can anyone think
> of a solution? *I could always use the hack of putting the logfile
> in /tmp but I don't want to do that. */var is not on a separate
> partition and I'm not prepared to re-partition my system. *Obviously
> with such large logfiles I'm getting performance issues.
>
> I'm an XFCE user so I'd like to avoid kdm and gdm. Are are there any
> other alternative X11 login apps other than xdm that don't depend on
> GNOME or KDE if I can't fix my issue with Slim?
>
> thanks,
>
> Ananda

You can try qingy.

Old 06-19-2010, 09:18 PM
Ananda Samaddar

On Sat, 19 Jun 2010 17:09:10 -0400
Eric Bélanger <snowmaniscool@gmail.com> wrote:

> You can try qingy.

I'd prefer something X11 based if possible. Has anyone tried lxdm? It
looks good and only depends on Gtk. Seeing as XFCE depends on Gtk
that's not an issue for me.

Ananda

Old 06-19-2010, 09:24 PM
Marek Otahal

On Saturday 19 of June 2010 21:01:53 Ananda Samaddar wrote:
> I'm using Slim as my login manager and it's logging absolutely
> everything. Things like gstreamer and alsa errors. This is making the
> log file huge, of the order of 8 gb when compressed. Can anyone think
> of a solution? I could always use the hack of putting the logfile
> in /tmp but I don't want to do that. /var is not on a separate
> partition and I'm not prepared to re-partition my system. Obviously
> with such large logfiles I'm getting performance issues.
>
> I'm an XFCE user so I'd like to avoid kdm and gdm. Are are there any
> other alternative X11 login apps other than xdm that don't depend on
> GNOME or KDE if I can't fix my issue with Slim?
>
> thanks,
>
> Ananda
I'm not sure I get you right, but 8gb is crazy.. how about use somehow
logrotate/cron to delete the log file?
--

Marek Otahal )

Old 06-19-2010, 09:49 PM
Philipp Überbacher

Excerpts from Ananda Samaddar's message of 2010-06-19 23:18:55 +0200:
> On Sat, 19 Jun 2010 17:09:10 -0400
> Eric Bélanger <snowmaniscool@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > You can try qingy.
>
> I'd prefer something X11 based if possible. Has anyone tried lxdm? It
> looks good and only depends on Gtk. Seeing as XFCE depends on Gtk
> that's not an issue for me.
>
> Ananda

Do you need a login manager?
I feel very comfortable with just 'startx'.
Philipp

--
"Wir stehen selbst enttäuscht und sehn betroffen / Den Vorhang zu und alle Fragen offen." Bertolt Brecht, Der gute Mensch von Sezuan

Old 06-19-2010, 10:09 PM
ChemicalStorm

Le 19/06/2010 21:01, Ananda Samaddar a écrit :

I'm using Slim as my login manager and it's logging absolutely
everything. Things like gstreamer and alsa errors. This is making the
log file huge, of the order of 8 gb when compressed. Can anyone think
of a solution? I could always use the hack of putting the logfile
in /tmp but I don't want to do that. /var is not on a separate
partition and I'm not prepared to re-partition my system. Obviously
with such large logfiles I'm getting performance issues.

Same problem here. Deactivated logs was the only solution I found for
the moment....

I'm an XFCE user so I'd like to avoid kdm and gdm. Are are there any
other alternative X11 login apps other than xdm that don't depend on
GNOME or KDE if I can't fix my issue with Slim?

thanks,

Ananda

Storm

Old 06-20-2010, 01:43 AM
Mauro Santos

On 06/19/2010 08:01 PM, Ananda Samaddar wrote:
> I'm using Slim as my login manager and it's logging absolutely
> everything. Things like gstreamer and alsa errors. This is making the
> log file huge, of the order of 8 gb when compressed. Can anyone think
> of a solution? I could always use the hack of putting the logfile
> in /tmp but I don't want to do that. /var is not on a separate
> partition and I'm not prepared to re-partition my system. Obviously
> with such large logfiles I'm getting performance issues.
>
> I'm an XFCE user so I'd like to avoid kdm and gdm. Are are there any
> other alternative X11 login apps other than xdm that don't depend on
> GNOME or KDE if I can't fix my issue with Slim?
>
> thanks,
>
> Ananda

I'm not using a login manager, I do an auto-login after I input my
username and password from tty1. I do that by checking from which tty I
am starting and issuing a startx if it is tty1 (not my idea, I've seen
that in the forums). However I've done a few modifications, the one that
might be able to help you is that I do a 'startx > /dev/null'.

This is really needed, otherwise some programs will mysteriously fail to
work. The thing here is that you should try to find the place where slim
writes to the log and redirect it to /dev/null instead of the log file
and your problem should be solved. Maybe easier said than done but I
guess you welcome any idea

--
Mauro Santos

Old 06-20-2010, 01:51 AM
Allan McRae

On 20/06/10 05:01, Ananda Samaddar wrote:

I'm using Slim as my login manager and it's logging absolutely
everything. Things like gstreamer and alsa errors. This is making the
log file huge, of the order of 8 gb when compressed. Can anyone think
of a solution? I could always use the hack of putting the logfile
in /tmp but I don't want to do that. /var is not on a separate
partition and I'm not prepared to re-partition my system. Obviously
with such large logfiles I'm getting performance issues.

How old is the log file. I use slim and it is getting rotated
frequently enough that it is only ~200MB at the worst.

Allan

Old 06-20-2010, 01:54 AM
Shacristo

On Sat, Jun 19, 2010 at 9:51 PM, Allan McRae <allan@archlinux.org> wrote:
> On 20/06/10 05:01, Ananda Samaddar wrote:
>>
>> I'm using Slim as my login manager and it's logging absolutely
>> everything. *Things like gstreamer and alsa errors. *This is making the
>> log file huge, of the order of 8 gb when compressed. *Can anyone think
>> of a solution? *I could always use the hack of putting the logfile
>> in /tmp but I don't want to do that. */var is not on a separate
>> partition and I'm not prepared to re-partition my system. *Obviously
>> with such large logfiles I'm getting performance issues.
>
> How old is the log file. *I use slim and it is getting rotated frequently
> enough that it is only ~200MB at the worst.
>
> Allan

The problem is that SLIM sets stdout and stderr to the log file and
then everything started afterwards seems to inherit that unless it has
a console or sets them itself. Because of that I once filled my hard
drive testing a program that got stuck in an infinite loop.