Old 06-20-2010, 03:04 AM
Ananda Samaddar

Default Slim login manager is logging everything

On Sat, 19 Jun 2010 21:54:47 -0400
Shacristo <shacristo@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Jun 19, 2010 at 9:51 PM, Allan McRae <allan@archlinux.org>
> wrote:
> > On 20/06/10 05:01, Ananda Samaddar wrote:
> >>
> >> I'm using Slim as my login manager and it's logging absolutely
> >> everything. *Things like gstreamer and alsa errors. *This is
> >> making the log file huge, of the order of 8 gb when compressed.
> >> *Can anyone think of a solution? *I could always use the hack of
> >> putting the logfile in /tmp but I don't want to do that. */var is
> >> not on a separate partition and I'm not prepared to re-partition
> >> my system. *Obviously with such large logfiles I'm getting
> >> performance issues.
> >
> > How old is the log file. *I use slim and it is getting rotated
> > frequently enough that it is only ~200MB at the worst.
> >
> > Allan
> >

> The problem is that SLIM sets stdout and stderr to the log file and
> then everything started afterwards seems to inherit that unless it has
> a console or sets them itself. Because of that I once filled my hard
> drive testing a program that got stuck in an infinite loop.

That makes sense now, one of the log files gzipped by logrotate was 8gb!
Would setting the log file to /dev/null be ok as a workaround for the
mean time, it won't break anything will it? When I get a chance though
I'm going to have a look at lxdm.

Ananda

Old 06-20-2010, 07:32 AM
Daniel Bumke