Old 06-19-2010, 05:09 PM
Andreas Radke

Default kernel26 2.6.34-2

Am Sat, 19 Jun 2010 16:22:05 +0200
schrieb Thomas Bächler <thomas@archlinux.org>:

> Am 19.06.2010 14:38, schrieb Pierre Schmitz:
> > On Sat, 19 Jun 2010 14:03:01 +0200, Thomas Bächler
> > <thomas@archlinux.org> wrote:
> >> This release will be moved to core after signoff, together with
> >> linux-firmware, initscripts, udev and mkinitcpio. Changes compared
> > -1:
> >
> > Don't we need to move xorg-server 1.8 and friends, too? (Mostly due
> > to abi/api changes in the nouveau module) Or does xorg-server 1.7
> > work with the new kernel? (there is a chance I am mixing up things)
>
> Andy mentioned something about that. I wouldn't know though.

We need to move Xorg together with .34 kernel due to nouveau and
AMD/Ati kms changes. I can do this at any time you want. Just ping me
or Jan.

-Andy

Old 06-20-2010, 09:29 AM
Jan de Groot

On Sat, 2010-06-19 at 14:38 +0200, Pierre Schmitz wrote:
> Don't we need to move xorg-server 1.8 and friends, too? (Mostly due to
> abi/api changes in the nouveau module) Or does xorg-server 1.7 work
> with
> the new kernel? (there is a chance I am mixing up things)

xorg-server 1.7 and its drivers work fine with the 2.6.34 kernel, it's
just nouveau that is broken because ABI changes inside the kernel
module.

We should move xorg-server 1.8 and all related things to extra though.
At this moment the kernel is holding up xorg-server, so there's no
reason not to move them together. Kernel 2.6.34 is not a hard dependency
for xorg-server though, but it contains so much bugfixes that I don't
want to suggest older kernels with it.

Old 06-20-2010, 10:42 AM
Pierre Schmitz

wrote:
> This release will be moved to core after signoff, together with
> linux-firmware, initscripts, udev and mkinitcpio. Changes compared to
-1:

> Remove kernel26-firmware package, it is replaced by linux-firmware
> added new tcp options FS#19604 (tpowa)
> Enable devtmpfs
> Add makedepends to build kernel26-{manpages,docs} properly
> Fix makepkg -R
>
> Please sign off.

signed-off x86_64

Old 06-20-2010, 02:28 PM
Dan McGee

On Sun, Jun 20, 2010 at 5:42 AM, Pierre Schmitz <pierre@archlinux.de> wrote:
> On Sat, 19 Jun 2010 14:03:01 +0200, Thomas Bächler <thomas@archlinux.org>
> wrote:
>> This release will be moved to core after signoff, together with
>> linux-firmware, initscripts, udev and mkinitcpio. Changes compared to
> -1:
>>
>> Remove kernel26-firmware package, it is replaced by linux-firmware
>> added new tcp options FS#19604 (tpowa)
>> Enable devtmpfs
>> Add makedepends to build kernel26-{manpages,docs} properly
>> Fix makepkg -R
>>
>> Please sign off.
>
> signed-off x86_64

Signoff i686.

-Dan

Old 06-20-2010, 04:10 PM
Thomas Bächler

Am 19.06.2010 14:03, schrieb Thomas Bächler:
> This release will be moved to core after signoff, together with
> linux-firmware, initscripts, udev and mkinitcpio. Changes compared to -1:
>
> Remove kernel26-firmware package, it is replaced by linux-firmware
> added new tcp options FS#19604 (tpowa)
> Enable devtmpfs
> Add makedepends to build kernel26-{manpages,docs} properly
> Fix makepkg -R
>
> Please sign off.

Okay, one of the Xorg guys (Jan, Andy?) should draft a new announcement
about 1) configuration changes with the new Xorg (xorg.conf.d, hal
removed), 2) dropping nvidia-{173xx,96xx} until nvidia releases updated
versions.

It seems we want to move Xorg and the kernel at the same time, so that
announce should be out before the move.

Old 06-20-2010, 04:27 PM
Andreas Radke

Am Sun, 20 Jun 2010 18:10:44 +0200
schrieb Thomas Bächler <thomas@archlinux.org>:

> Am 19.06.2010 14:03, schrieb Thomas Bächler:
> > This release will be moved to core after signoff, together with
> > linux-firmware, initscripts, udev and mkinitcpio. Changes compared
> > to -1:
> >
> > Remove kernel26-firmware package, it is replaced by linux-firmware
> > added new tcp options FS#19604 (tpowa)
> > Enable devtmpfs
> > Add makedepends to build kernel26-{manpages,docs} properly
> > Fix makepkg -R
> >
> > Please sign off.
> >

> Okay, one of the Xorg guys (Jan, Andy?) should draft a new
> announcement about 1) configuration changes with the new Xorg
> (xorg.conf.d, hal removed), 2) dropping nvidia-{173xx,96xx} until
> nvidia releases updated versions.
>
> It seems we want to move Xorg and the kernel at the same time, so that
> announce should be out before the move.

We already had

http://www.archlinux.org/news/499/ +
http://mailman.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-dev-public/2010-April/016387.html

Changes to input device configuration are collected in our wiki:
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xorg#xorg.conf.d_.28Xorg_1.8.29

Just point to this section.

Ati and Nouveau changes should work without any interaction. No idea
about the closed drivers. I don't follow them. If you think we need an
announcement just point to the wiki and maybe the old news and add a
note about NVidia changes.

-Andy

Old 06-20-2010, 04:44 PM
Andreas Radke

Am Sun, 20 Jun 2010 18:27:18 +0200
schrieb Andreas Radke <a.radke@arcor.de>:

> Am Sun, 20 Jun 2010 18:10:44 +0200
> schrieb Thomas Bächler <thomas@archlinux.org>:
>
> > Am 19.06.2010 14:03, schrieb Thomas Bächler:
> > > This release will be moved to core after signoff, together with
> > > linux-firmware, initscripts, udev and mkinitcpio. Changes compared
> > > to -1:
> > >
> > > Remove kernel26-firmware package, it is replaced by linux-firmware
> > > added new tcp options FS#19604 (tpowa)
> > > Enable devtmpfs
> > > Add makedepends to build kernel26-{manpages,docs} properly
> > > Fix makepkg -R
> > >
> > > Please sign off.
> > >

> > Okay, one of the Xorg guys (Jan, Andy?) should draft a new
> > announcement about 1) configuration changes with the new Xorg
> > (xorg.conf.d, hal removed), 2) dropping nvidia-{173xx,96xx} until
> > nvidia releases updated versions.
> >
> > It seems we want to move Xorg and the kernel at the same time, so
> > that announce should be out before the move.
> >

> We already had
>
> http://www.archlinux.org/news/499/ +
> http://mailman.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-dev-public/2010-April/016387.html
>
> Changes to input device configuration are collected in our wiki:
> http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xorg#xorg.conf.d_.28Xorg_1.8.29
>
> Just point to this section.
>
> Ati and Nouveau changes should work without any interaction. No idea
> about the closed drivers. I don't follow them. If you think we need an
> announcement just point to the wiki and maybe the old news and add a
> note about NVidia changes.
>
> -Andy

News draft:

Xorg 1.8 moves to extra:

This release works with udev for input hotplugging and
supports /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/*.conf as replacement for the hal .fdi
files. After upgrading to this release, configuration for input devices
in hal is ignored. Documentation about this change can be found on:

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xorg#xorg.conf.d_.28Xorg_1.8.29

Nvidia-173xx and -96xx drivers currently don't support the new Xorg
release. We recommend to use the xf86-video-nouveau driver package for
now.

Old 06-20-2010, 04:49 PM
Dan McGee

On Sun, Jun 20, 2010 at 11:44 AM, Andreas Radke <a.radke@arcor.de> wrote:
> News draft:
>
> Xorg 1.8 moves to extra:
>
> This release works with udev for input hotplugging and
> supports /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/*.conf as replacement for the hal .fdi
> files. After upgrading to this release, configuration for input devices
> in hal is ignored. Documentation about this change can be found on:
...ignored and running hal is no longer necessary. (right?)

> http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xorg#xorg.conf.d_.28Xorg_1.8.29
>
> Nvidia-173xx and -96xx drivers currently don't support the new Xorg
> release. We recommend to use the xf86-video-nouveau driver package for
> now.
grammar: We recommend using...

Old 06-20-2010, 05:02 PM
Andreas Radke

Am Sun, 20 Jun 2010 11:49:58 -0500
schrieb Dan McGee <dpmcgee@gmail.com>:

> On Sun, Jun 20, 2010 at 11:44 AM, Andreas Radke <a.radke@arcor.de>
> wrote:
> > News draft:
> >
> > Xorg 1.8 moves to extra:
> >
> > This release works with udev for input hotplugging and
> > supports /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/*.conf as replacement for the hal .fdi
> > files. After upgrading to this release, configuration for input
> > devices in hal is ignored. Documentation about this change can be
> > found on:
> ...ignored and running hal is no longer necessary. (right?)

hal is not necessary anymore for Xorg but other apps are still using it,
e.g. Xfce's Thunar for storage device hotplugging.

Not sure how far the replacements are in other parts.

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/HalRemoval for more.

-Andy

Old 06-20-2010, 05:07 PM
Pierre Schmitz

On Sun, 20 Jun 2010 19:02:28 +0200, Andreas Radke <a.radke@arcor.de>
wrote:
> hal is not necessary anymore for Xorg but other apps are still using it,
> e.g. Xfce's Thunar for storage device hotplugging.
>
> Not sure how far the replacements are in other parts.
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/HalRemoval for more.

For KDE hal is still needed (storage devices, power management etc.) This
might change with KDE 4.6 next year.