-   -   Upgrading from Arch 0.8 O.o (http://www.linux-archive.org/archlinux-general-discussion/387629-upgrading-arch-0-8-o-o.html)

Nilesh Govindarajan 06-18-2010 12:38 PM

Upgrading from Arch 0.8 O.o

I recently got a VPS and installed arch from their control panel just to
know that it was arch 0.8 !!!

How do I upgrade from arch 0.8 to the latest ?

Nilesh Govindarajan
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/nilesh.gr
Twitter: http://twitter.com/nileshgr
Website: http://www.itech7.com
Cheap and Reliable VPS Hosting: http://j.mp/arHk5e

Angel Velásquez 06-18-2010 12:40 PM

Upgrading from Arch 0.8 O.o

pacman -Syu

On Fri, Jun 18, 2010 at 9:38 AM, Nilesh Govindarajan <lists@itech7.com> wrote:
> I recently got a VPS and installed arch from their control panel just to
> know that it was arch 0.8 !!!
> How do I upgrade from arch 0.8 to the latest ?
>
> --
> Regards,
> Nilesh Govindarajan
> Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/nilesh.gr
> Twitter: http://twitter.com/nileshgr
> Website: http://www.itech7.com
> Cheap and Reliable VPS Hosting: http://j.mp/arHk5e

--
Angel Velásquez
angvp @ irc.freenode.net

Ionuț Bîru 06-18-2010 12:44 PM

Upgrading from Arch 0.8 O.o

On 06/18/2010 03:38 PM, Nilesh Govindarajan wrote:

I recently got a VPS and installed arch from their control panel just to
know that it was arch 0.8 !!!
How do I upgrade from arch 0.8 to the latest ?

you should ask them to get the latest openvz template:

http://download.openvz.org/contrib/template/precreated/arch-2010.05-i686-minimal.tar.gz
http://download.openvz.org/contrib/template/precreated/arch-2010.05-x86_64-minimal.tar.gz

those are created by me and mostly because nobody cared for so many years :)

--
IonuÈ›

Nilesh Govindarajan 06-18-2010 12:49 PM

Upgrading from Arch 0.8 O.o

I recently got a VPS and installed arch from their control panel just to
know that it was arch 0.8 !!!
How do I upgrade from arch 0.8 to the latest ?

Nilesh Govindarajan
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/nilesh.gr
Twitter: http://twitter.com/nileshgr
Website: http://www.itech7.com
Cheap and Reliable VPS Hosting: http://j.mp/arHk5e

In order to refresh the db, I ran pacman -Sy which gives this error:
config: line 1: all directives must belong to a section
config: line 1: all directives must belong to a section
config: line 1: all directives must belong to a section
:: Synchronizing package databases...
failed to synchronize current
failed to synchronize extra
error: could not open sync database: current
have you used --refresh yet?

Nilesh Govindarajan 06-18-2010 12:50 PM

Upgrading from Arch 0.8 O.o

I recently got a VPS and installed arch from their control panel just to
know that it was arch 0.8 !!!
How do I upgrade from arch 0.8 to the latest ?

you should ask them to get the latest openvz template:

http://download.openvz.org/contrib/template/precreated/arch-2010.05-i686-minimal.tar.gz

http://download.openvz.org/contrib/template/precreated/arch-2010.05-x86_64-minimal.tar.gz

those are created by me and mostly because nobody cared for so many
years :)

I managed to get arch with them after a lot of push, anyway, leave that
part.

Fabiano Furtado Pessoa Coelho 06-18-2010 01:07 PM

Upgrading from Arch 0.8 O.o

Well... there's a problem because the arch's package format has
changed (from .pkg.tar.gz to .pkg.tar.xz)!

Try yourself to install pacman's package manually (and his dependencies).

It should work!

Sorry about my english.

Thomas Bächler 06-18-2010 01:26 PM

Upgrading from Arch 0.8 O.o

Am 18.06.2010 14:38, schrieb Nilesh Govindarajan:
> I recently got a VPS and installed arch from their control panel just to
> know that it was arch 0.8 !!!
> How do I upgrade from arch 0.8 to the latest ?

I don't think you can:
http://mailman.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-dev-public/2010-June/017096.html

Nilesh Govindarajan 06-18-2010 02:26 PM

Upgrading from Arch 0.8 O.o

Its over finally. Some tar -xf stuff, etc. made it possible :)
Basically upgraded pacman and its deps directly from archlinux.org as
someone suggested. Thanks to that one !

Damjan Georgievski 06-18-2010 02:43 PM

Upgrading from Arch 0.8 O.o

>> I recently got a VPS and installed arch from their control panel just to
>> know that it was arch 0.8 !!!
>> How do I upgrade from arch 0.8 to the latest ?
>>

> you should ask them to get the latest openvz template:
>
> http://download.openvz.org/contrib/template/precreated/arch-2010.05-i686-minimal.tar.gz
> http://download.openvz.org/contrib/template/precreated/arch-2010.05-x86_64-minimal.tar.gz
>
> those are created by me and mostly because nobody cared for so many years :)

is there anything OpenVZ specific or it will work under LXC too?

--
damjan

Ionuț Bîru 06-18-2010 02:45 PM

Upgrading from Arch 0.8 O.o

I recently got a VPS and installed arch from their control panel just to
know that it was arch 0.8 !!!
How do I upgrade from arch 0.8 to the latest ?

you should ask them to get the latest openvz template:

http://download.openvz.org/contrib/template/precreated/arch-2010.05-i686-minimal.tar.gz
http://download.openvz.org/contrib/template/precreated/arch-2010.05-x86_64-minimal.tar.gz

those are created by me and mostly because nobody cared for so many years :)

is there anything OpenVZ specific or it will work under LXC too?

no idea what LXC is. just try it

--
IonuÈ›