Old 06-16-2010, 06:11 PM
Carlos Mennens

Default Label and Format USB Drive

I have a USB thrumb drive when I mount it, it mounts fine and shows up
as "USBDRIVE" on my system.

I would like to know how I can reformat the drive as fat32 using the
'mkfs' command and also setting a new system label on the drive as
"ocz_usb"?
I do not appear to have the tools installed on my Arch system that
allow me to format as fat32 and can't find the command to format and
set the label? Can this be done in one command step?

Old 06-16-2010, 06:21 PM
Aljosha Papsch

I have a USB thrumb drive when I mount it, it mounts fine and shows up
as "USBDRIVE" on my system.

I would like to know how I can reformat the drive as fat32 using the
'mkfs' command and also setting a new system label on the drive as
"ocz_usb"?
I do not appear to have the tools installed on my Arch system that
allow me to format as fat32 and can't find the command to format and
set the label? Can this be done in one command step?

You need to install the package dosfstools from [extra]. Then you can
format your drive with mkfs.

Old 06-16-2010, 06:23 PM
"Guilherme M. Nogueira"

With /dev/sdb as your usb drive, to format:

fdisk /dev/sdb
mkfs -t vfat /dev/sdb1

and then to name the partition:

mlabel -i /dev/sdb1 :cz_usb

--
Guilherme M. Nogueira
- Arthur C. Clarke

Old 06-16-2010, 06:32 PM
Thomas Bächler

Am 16.06.2010 20:23, schrieb Guilherme M. Nogueira:
> With /dev/sdb as your usb drive, to format:
>
> fdisk /dev/sdb
> mkfs -t vfat /dev/sdb1
>
> and then to name the partition:
>
> mlabel -i /dev/sdb1 :cz_usb

Then (for mlabel) you'll need mtools, too. The label can be passed as an
option to mkdosfs, or you can use dosfslabel to set it.

Old 06-16-2010, 07:11 PM
Carlos Mennens

On Wed, Jun 16, 2010 at 2:32 PM, Thomas Bächler <thomas@archlinux.org> wrote:
> Am 16.06.2010 20:23, schrieb Guilherme M. Nogueira:
>> With /dev/sdb as your usb drive, to format:
>>
>> fdisk /dev/sdb
>> mkfs -t vfat /dev/sdb1
>>
>> and then to name the partition:
>>
>> mlabel -i /dev/sdb1 :cz_usb
>
> Then (for mlabel) you'll need mtools, too. The label can be passed as an
> option to mkdosfs, or you can use dosfslabel to set it.

It appears Arch can't find /dev/sdd1 however I can find it fine when I
use the 'fdisk' utility. I don't understand why...

[root@tuna ~]# mkfs -t vfat /dev/sdd1
mkfs.vfat 3.0.9 (31 Jan 2010)
/dev/sdd1: No such file or directory

When I look under the /dev/ directory, I don't see sda sdb sdc or sdd.
Am I missing something here?

Old 06-16-2010, 07:26 PM
Sergey Manucharian

Excerpts from Carlos Mennens's message of Wed, 16 Jun 2010 15:11 -0400:

> It appears Arch can't find /dev/sdd1 however I can find it fine when I
> use the 'fdisk' utility. I don't understand why...

You should not fdisk on a partition (like sdd1), only on the whole
device e.g. /dev/sdd

> [root@tuna ~]# mkfs -t vfat /dev/sdd1
> mkfs.vfat 3.0.9 (31 Jan 2010)
> /dev/sdd1: No such file or directory

Nowadays some USB drives are not partitioned, so
maybe you indeed have no /dev/sdd1, but just /dev/sdd - you can use the
whole drive to create a file system, but I'd recommend to create a
partition with fdisk first.

Also "mkfs.vfat -n ocz_usb /dev/hdd1" will put the label right away.

> When I look under the /dev/ directory, I don't see sda sdb sdc or sdd.

That's strange, but by the way, how do you look into it?
What is output of "ls -l /dev/sd*" ?

Cheers,
Serg1

Old 06-16-2010, 11:51 PM
Ray Rashif

On 17 June 2010 03:26, Sergey Manucharian <ingeniware@gmail.com> wrote:
> Excerpts from Carlos Mennens's message of Wed, 16 Jun 2010 15:11 -0400:
>
>> It appears Arch can't find /dev/sdd1 however I can find it fine when I
>> use the 'fdisk' utility. I don't understand why...
>
> You should not fdisk on a partition (like sdd1), only on the whole
> device e.g. /dev/sdd
>
>> [root@tuna ~]# mkfs -t vfat /dev/sdd1
>> mkfs.vfat 3.0.9 (31 Jan 2010)
>> /dev/sdd1: No such file or directory
>
> Nowadays some USB drives are not partitioned, so
> maybe you indeed have no /dev/sdd1, but just /dev/sdd - you can use the
> whole drive to create a file system, but I'd recommend to create a
> partition with fdisk first.
>
> Also "mkfs.vfat -n ocz_usb /dev/hdd1" will put the label right away.
>
>> When I look under the /dev/ directory, I don't see sda sdb sdc or sdd.
>
> That's strange, but by the way, how do you look into it?
> What is output of "ls -l /dev/sd*" ?

No partition (which is actually 1 primary partition without a proper
partition table) still shows up as sd(x)(n), as far as experience
goes.

One thing I like to do now is make sure of the allocation units. I
have noted a big difference in performance between drives formatted
with Linux/Windows' default tool(s) and those by HP Disk Format
Utility (or something like that). With the latter, 8GB gets 4,096
wheres 32 gets 16,384. Transfer rates (write) grew from 3MB/s to 7MB/s
across platforms.

http://www.patriotmemory.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3696

--
GPG/PGP ID: B42DDCAD