Old 06-16-2010, 09:48 AM
甘露(Gan Lu)

Default Xorg-server 1.8 - when?

On Wed, Jun 16, 2010 at 3:20 PM, Jan de Groot <jan@jgc.homeip.net> wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-06-16 at 09:14 +0200, Lukáš Jirkovský wrote:
>> Hello,
>> I'd like to ask what are the plans for the xorg-server 1.8, especially
>> now when RC1 of xorg-server 1.9 is out. Please don't get me wrong, I'm
>> not demanding anything but I'm wondering what is holding back the move
>> to [extra].
>>
>> I'm using new xorg-server on two different computers (notebook with
>> intel and desktop with nvidia's blob) for some time without any
>> problems.
>
> Though xorg-server 1.8 is not completely issue-free, I don't think 1.7
> from extra isn't issue-free either. I've been running these packages for
> months now without much problems.
> Before we start moving xorg-server 1.8, I would like to know when we can
> move kernel26. The latest kernel has a lot of fixes for Intel and
> ATI/AMD DRM. Do we have really important open bugs for 2.6.34, or are we
> just waiting for the magic .1 release?

In fact for xorg/kernel, I mean such big packages, there are quite a
few bug reports in the bug tracker, and a few questions in our forum,
which are a good signal in my opinion.

Old 06-16-2010, 10:17 AM
Gaurish Sharma

Hi,
I think Nvidia still does not work with 1.8

Regards,
Gaurish Sharma

Old 06-16-2010, 10:21 AM
Lukáš Jirkovský

On 16 June 2010 12:17, Gaurish Sharma <contact@gaurishsharma.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> I think Nvidia still does not work with 1.8
>
> Regards,
> Gaurish Sharma

At least nvidia-beta works fine.

Old 06-16-2010, 10:23 AM
Jakob Gruber

On Wednesday 16 June 2010 12:17:16 Gaurish Sharma wrote:
> Hi,
> I think Nvidia still does not work with 1.8
>
> Regards,
> Gaurish Sharma
Working perfectly here:

$ pacman -Q xorg-server nvidia
xorg-server 1.8.1-1
nvidia 195.36.24-2

Old 06-16-2010, 01:17 PM
yvind Heggstad

On Wed, 16 Jun 2010 15:47:16 +0530
Gaurish Sharma <contact@gaurishsharma.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> I think Nvidia still does not work with 1.8
>
> Regards,
> Gaurish Sharma

The last I heard was that the devs are waiting for the legazy nvidia
drivers to be updated.
(nvidia-173xx/96xx)

Old 06-16-2010, 04:04 PM

On Wed, Jun 16, 2010 at 06:06:59PM +0200, Nicky726 wrote:

> > The last I heard was that the devs are waiting for the legazy nvidia
> > drivers to be updated.
> > (nvidia-173xx/96xx)
>
> Uh... to hell with nvidia, there is nouveau... and if I remember correctly noone
> did wait for the catalyst.
>
> no offence ment, just the blob and stuff...

It should at least work with nv. Nouveau creates problems
for even moderately low latency (audio) work, I just can't
use it.

--
FA

O tu, che porte, correndo si ?
E guerra e morte !

Old 06-16-2010, 04:06 PM
Nicky726

> Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2010 15:17:44 +0200
> From: ?yvind Heggstad <mrelendig@har-ikkje.net>
> On Wed, 16 Jun 2010 15:47:16 +0530
>
> Gaurish Sharma <contact@gaurishsharma.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I think Nvidia still does not work with 1.8
> >
> > Regards,
> > Gaurish Sharma
>
> The last I heard was that the devs are waiting for the legazy nvidia
> drivers to be updated.
> (nvidia-173xx/96xx)

Uh... to hell with nvidia, there is nouveau... and if I remember correctly noone
did wait for the catalyst.

no offence ment, just the blob and stuff...

Nicky

--
Don't it always seem to go
That you don't know what you've got

(Joni Mitchell)

Old 06-16-2010, 06:12 PM
Aljosha Papsch

The last I heard was that the devs are waiting for the legazy nvidia
drivers to be updated.
(nvidia-173xx/96xx)

Uh... to hell with nvidia, there is nouveau... and if I remember correctly noone
did wait for the catalyst.

no offence ment, just the blob and stuff...

It should at least work with nv. Nouveau creates problems
for even moderately low latency (audio) work, I just can't
use it.

How can you answer to a message that was sent after yours?

Old 06-16-2010, 06:31 PM
Evangelos Foutras

On Wed, Jun 16, 2010 at 9:12 PM, Aljosha Papsch <joschi.papsch@yahoo.de> wrote:
> How can you answer to a message that was sent after yours?

Probably by not running an NTP daemon and having your system clock
fall behind or get misconfigured.

Old 06-16-2010, 07:43 PM
jwbirdsong

I think Nvidia still does not work with 1.8

Regards,
Gaurish Sharma

The last I heard was that the devs are waiting for the legazy nvidia
drivers to be updated.
(nvidia-173xx/96xx)

Uh... to hell with nvidia, there is nouveau... and if I remember correctly noone
did wait for the catalyst.

no offence ment, just the blob and stuff...

Nicky

According to pkgstats extra/nvidia is used by 55.52% of submitting users.
Pretty large group to discount out of hand IMHO.