-   -   dropping flashplugin x86_64 (http://www.linux-archive.org/archlinux-general-discussion/386292-dropping-flashplugin-x86_64-a.html)

Gaurish Sharma 06-15-2010 08:24 PM

dropping flashplugin x86_64

Hi,
since 64bit plugin is out, what are the Alternatives for Users?

Regards,
Gaurish Sharma
www.gaurishsharma.com

Ray Kohler 06-15-2010 08:55 PM

dropping flashplugin x86_64

On Tue, Jun 15, 2010 at 4:24 PM, Gaurish Sharma
<contact@gaurishsharma.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> since 64bit plugin is out, what are the Alternatives for Users?

- keep it and use Flashblock addon (firefox)
- use Gnash or other open-source version (not very useful)
- use 32-bit plugin with nspluginwrapper
- use 32-bit plugin with 32-bit browser
- give up Flash
- ignore the risk and just keep using it

Any others I missed?

vlad 06-15-2010 09:02 PM

On Tue, Jun 15, 2010 at 04:55:57PM -0400, Ray Kohler wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 15, 2010 at 4:24 PM, Gaurish Sharma
> <contact@gaurishsharma.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> > since 64bit plugin is out, what are the Alternatives for Users?
>
> - keep it and use Flashblock addon (firefox)
> - use Gnash or other open-source version (not very useful)
> - use 32-bit plugin with nspluginwrapper
> - use 32-bit plugin with 32-bit browser
> - give up Flash
> - ignore the risk and just keep using it
>
> Any others I missed?
Use opera with the 32bit plugin. Opera has its own pluginwrapper.

Gaurish Sharma 06-15-2010 09:04 PM

dropping flashplugin x86_64

Thanks.

I went for
* use 32-bit plugin with nspluginwrapper

All you need to do is install nspluginwrapper-flash package from AUR.
maybe this package can be Pushed in repos and carried as replacement
for flashplugin 64bit

Can this package be in
Regards,
Gaurish Sharma
www.gaurishsharma.com

C Anthony Risinger 06-15-2010 09:04 PM

On Tue, Jun 15, 2010 at 3:55 PM, Ray Kohler <ataraxia937@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 15, 2010 at 4:24 PM, Gaurish Sharma
> <contact@gaurishsharma.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>> since 64bit plugin is out, what are the Alternatives for Users?
>
> - keep it and use Flashblock addon (firefox)
> - use Gnash or other open-source version (not very useful)
> - use 32-bit plugin with nspluginwrapper
> - use 32-bit plugin with 32-bit browser
> - give up Flash
> - ignore the risk and just keep using it
>
> Any others I missed?

i recently tried a new flash plugin that was completely OSS, that had
declared itself beta. unfortunately the name of it escapes me at the
moment. i couldn't get it working quite right but i didn't put a lot
of time into it either. from around the net the consensus was it
looked very promising as an Adobe replacement.

C Anthony

Christoffer Hirth 06-15-2010 09:09 PM

ti., 15.06.2010 kl. 16.04 -0500, skrev C Anthony Risinger:
> On Tue, Jun 15, 2010 at 3:55 PM, Ray Kohler <ataraxia937@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Tue, Jun 15, 2010 at 4:24 PM, Gaurish Sharma
> > <contact@gaurishsharma.com> wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >> since 64bit plugin is out, what are the Alternatives for Users?
> >
> > - keep it and use Flashblock addon (firefox)
> > - use Gnash or other open-source version (not very useful)
> > - use 32-bit plugin with nspluginwrapper
> > - use 32-bit plugin with 32-bit browser
> > - give up Flash
> > - ignore the risk and just keep using it
> >
> > Any others I missed?
>
> i recently tried a new flash plugin that was completely OSS, that had
> declared itself beta. unfortunately the name of it escapes me at the
> moment. i couldn't get it working quite right but i didn't put a lot
> of time into it either. from around the net the consensus was it
> looked very promising as an Adobe replacement.
>
> C Anthony

I believe it is the lightspark?

It is in aur as "lightspark-git".

C Anthony Risinger 06-15-2010 09:11 PM

On Tue, Jun 15, 2010 at 4:09 PM, Christoffer Hirth <lists@toffyrn.net> wrote:
> ti., 15.06.2010 kl. 16.04 -0500, skrev C Anthony Risinger:
>> On Tue, Jun 15, 2010 at 3:55 PM, Ray Kohler <ataraxia937@gmail.com> wrote:
>> >
>> > - keep it and use Flashblock addon (firefox)
>> > - use Gnash or other open-source version (not very useful)
>> > - use 32-bit plugin with nspluginwrapper
>> > - use 32-bit plugin with 32-bit browser
>> > - give up Flash
>> > - ignore the risk and just keep using it
>> >
>> > Any others I missed?
>>
>> i recently tried a new flash plugin that was completely OSS, that had
>> declared itself beta. *unfortunately the name of it escapes me at the
>> moment. *i couldn't get it working quite right but i didn't put a lot
>> of time into it either. *from around the net the consensus was it
>> looked very promising as an Adobe replacement.
>>
>> C Anthony
>
> I believe it is the lightspark?
>
> It is in aur as "lightspark-git".

ah yep, i believe that was it.

Mauro Santos 06-15-2010 09:31 PM

On 06/15/2010 10:09 PM, Christoffer Hirth wrote:
> ti., 15.06.2010 kl. 16.04 -0500, skrev C Anthony Risinger:
>> On Tue, Jun 15, 2010 at 3:55 PM, Ray Kohler <ataraxia937@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> - keep it and use Flashblock addon (firefox)
>>> - use Gnash or other open-source version (not very useful)
>>> - use 32-bit plugin with nspluginwrapper
>>> - use 32-bit plugin with 32-bit browser
>>> - give up Flash
>>> - ignore the risk and just keep using it
>>>
>>> Any others I missed?
>>
>> i recently tried a new flash plugin that was completely OSS, that had
>> declared itself beta. unfortunately the name of it escapes me at the
>> moment. i couldn't get it working quite right but i didn't put a lot
>> of time into it either. from around the net the consensus was it
>> looked very promising as an Adobe replacement.
>>
>> C Anthony
>
> I believe it is the lightspark?
>
> It is in aur as "lightspark-git".

It looks promising, however it crashed my machine without any warning
and I had to reboot the machine the hard way. Just so you know and don't
try it while doing anything important.

--
Mauro Santos

Heiko Baums 06-15-2010 09:51 PM

dropping flashplugin x86_64

Am Wed, 16 Jun 2010 00:09:40 +0300
schrieb Ionuț Bîru <biru.ionut@gmail.com>:

> lightspark

Lightspark can't play YouTube videos and Samorost 1 and 2 (from The
Humble Indie Bundle) and it needs pulseaudio (yet another one of those
senseless, resource-wasting daemons).

YouTube and Samorost 1 and 2 are the only reasons for me for using
Flash.

The HTML5 version of YouTube doesn't work for me, too.

Heiko