Old 06-17-2010, 06:16 PM
Caleb Cushing

Default dropping flashplugin x86_64

On Thu, Jun 17, 2010 at 12:29 PM, Jeroen Op 't Eynde
<jeroen@xprsyrslf.be> wrote:
> Chrome 5
I thought WebM wasn't queued up until Chrome 6? pretty sure it's only
H264 in 5... but I could be wrong... I think even youtube says
something like that.

--
Caleb Cushing

http://xenoterracide.blogspot.com

Old 06-17-2010, 06:35 PM
Heiko Baums

Am Thu, 17 Jun 2010 11:26:57 -0400
schrieb Caleb Cushing <xenoterracide@gmail.com>:

> kde1,2,3 aren't maintained anymore this saying windows nt, 98, xp is
> just about the same. kde4 is very similar in how vista has gone into
> 7. don't confused unsupported with we released a new version and
> aren't supporting the previous.

I don't confuse anything. KDE 1, 2 and 3 have been regular updates. KDE
4 is quite different and can't be seen as a usual update. KDE 3 is btw.
still maintained by the Trinity project
(http://trinity.pearsoncomputing.net) and updated to 3.5.11. As I said,
if an open source software isn't maintained anymore, it usually get's
forked or maintained by someone else or replaced by a usually better
alternative.

Window 98, NT, XT, Vista, 7 are also not real updates and not just a
release of a new version, because first they are all completely
different and not generally compatible (Windows Vista Software doesn't
run on Windows 98 and probably vice versa) and second you need to pay
for all of these "updates". So you can't compare those with regular
updates.

> open source actually supports it's old
> versions a lot less in most cases. I only know 2 projects with really
> long term support: postgres (5 years now) and the kernel (only certain
> versions).

Why should old versions be supported? They are updated and maintained.
And these are real updates (releases of new versions). So this software
is maintained and supported. postgres is btw. also updated several
times. I doubt that there are still 5 years old versions of postgres.

So I guess you shouldn't mix up two different things, updating a
software by releasing a new version and releasing a new software which
is incompatible with the previous "versions".

> wtf is zattoo (don't answer I don't care). reason AV's
> don't have 64-bit support is windows is their only serious market and
> windows hasn't had serious 64-bit support.

And why are there free Linux versions of every anti-virus software, if
Windows is their only serious market? And are there 64 bit Windows
versions of those anti-virus software? I haven't seen any yet. So this
can't be the reason.

> don't take this out of context. I was referring to kde 4.0 where all
> the distro's decided to roll it out when kde explicitly said 'this is
> a developer release only'.

I didn't take this out of context. You weren't referring to KDE 4 there.
At least I couldn't read this.

> right because that's the only flash site people use?

Not the only one, but the one which is used by most people.

> I doubt hulu is
> going to switch (and it never worked on 64-bit flash maybe that's why
> adobe is (according to them) overhauling 64-bit flash), pandora could
> have been implemented in js when it came out, they chose flash. I
> believe flash had that market share when youtube was in its infancy
> and maybe even earlier.

But don't forget that Hulu and Pandora (officially) only work in the
USA. And the USA is not the world even if some Americans (mainly the US
Government and US Army) conceit themselves to be the world or at least
like to take over the world domination.

> yes it's becoming less important, and their's certainly a push to kill
> IE6. I don't think that's going to matter to what I said though.

People who are still using IE6 (I mean the old version, not an IE vs.FF
flamewar) are beyond help anyway.

Heiko

Old 06-17-2010, 06:38 PM
Heiko Baums

Am Thu, 17 Jun 2010 14:16:14 -0400
schrieb Caleb Cushing <xenoterracide@gmail.com>:

> I thought WebM wasn't queued up until Chrome 6? pretty sure it's only
> H264 in 5... but I could be wrong... I think even youtube says
> something like that.

WebM is already implemented in Chromium 5. Youtube's HTML5 version is
working perfectly with Chromium 5.

Heiko

Old 06-17-2010, 06:40 PM
Caleb Cushing

On Thu, Jun 17, 2010 at 2:35 PM, Heiko Baums <lists@baums-on-web.de> wrote:
> And why are there free Linux versions of every anti-virus software, if
> Windows is their only serious market?

because they're primarily used for scanning email for virii in web
gateways. you'll probably find more 64-bit av's in enterprise
editions.

Old 06-17-2010, 06:49 PM
Caleb Cushing

On Thu, Jun 17, 2010 at 2:38 PM, Heiko Baums <lists@baums-on-web.de> wrote:
> WebM is already implemented in Chromium 5.

not in our stable build.
http://www.permadi.com/blog/2010/05/sample-webm-video-2/ < that's
supposed to be webm and the video that's on youtube should have an
webm and html5 badge... I just get the html5 one. I hear it's been
backported in unstable and in chrome.

so firefox 4 isn't out, opera is in beta. I'm not actually 100% that
webm is in chrome stable. and this is ready? call me when stable
browsers have been released with it.

Old 06-17-2010, 09:40 PM
Heiko Baums

Am Thu, 17 Jun 2010 14:49:50 -0400
schrieb Caleb Cushing <xenoterracide@gmail.com>:

> not in our stable build.

And why does it (Youtube) work with the current chromium from [extra]?

> http://www.permadi.com/blog/2010/05/sample-webm-video-2/ < that's
> supposed to be webm and the video that's on youtube should have an
> webm and html5 badge... I just get the html5 one. I hear it's been
> backported in unstable and in chrome.

You probably misunderstand something. HTML5 is the new HTML version,
the language in which websites (Youtube e.g.) are written, the language
which provides the <video> tag. WebM is the codec of the videos like
MPEG, Ogg/Theora, etc.

Heiko

Old 06-17-2010, 09:50 PM
Caleb Cushing

On Thu, Jun 17, 2010 at 5:40 PM, Heiko Baums <lists@baums-on-web.de> wrote:
> You probably misunderstand something. HTML5 is the new HTML version,
> the language in which websites (Youtube e.g.) are written, the language
> which provides the <video> tag. WebM is the codec of the videos like
> MPEG, Ogg/Theora, etc.

no I understand it perfectly and have been playing with the youtube
beta. and that link I got was from #chromium-support maybe you don't
understand? that link has a webm video. I enabled js and plugins on
that page to be sure... and the video doesn't play. It's greyed out.
so unless you tell me that one works we don't.

from http://www.youtube.com/html5

* The HTML5 player has a badge in the control bar. If you don't see
the "HTML5" icon in the control bar, you've been directed to the Flash
player (due to restrictions listed below)
*The HTML5 player also has a badge to indicate the video is using the
WebM format. If you don't see the "WebM" icon, the video is encoded
using h.264

so according to that you should see HTML5 WebM. Do you? I see HTML5
but no WebM which means it's using h.264. even if you append the
&webm=1 which I suspect means youtube is smart and knows to fall
back.

Old 06-17-2010, 10:25 PM
"Jeroen Op 't Eynde"

On Thu, 17 Jun 2010 23:50:10 +0200, Caleb Cushing
<xenoterracide@gmail.com> wrote:

so according to that you should see HTML5 WebM. Do you? I see HTML5
but no WebM which means it's using h.264. even if you append the
&webm=1 which I suspect means youtube is smart and knows to fall
back.

I checked and I was wrong, Chrome/chromium 5 doesn't support WebM yet.
Sorry about that, it is in the Dev channel though. Got confused with the
tagging. Still, give it a few months. Opera will probably be the first to
release an official browser version that supports WebM, quickly followed
by Chromium and then Firefox.

--
To read: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posting_style#Bottom-posting