Old 06-14-2010, 03:09 PM
Nilesh Govindarajan

Default File Associations for firefox & thunderbird :)^

I am a full time KDE user and I don't have GNOME or its libraries.
Firefox and Thunderbird keep asking me to choose applications to open
.pdf, .doc, .xls, http://, etc.

Is there no package which can fix the file associations for FF and TB ?

--
Nilesh Govindarajan
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/nilesh.gr

Old 06-14-2010, 03:37 PM
Philipp Überbacher

Excerpts from Nilesh Govindarajan's message of 2010-06-14 17:09:26 +0200:
> I am a full time KDE user and I don't have GNOME or its libraries.
> Firefox and Thunderbird keep asking me to choose applications to open
> .pdf, .doc, .xls, http://, etc.
> Is there no package which can fix the file associations for FF and TB ?

That's likely some xdg stuff. It usually works using gnome, KDE and xfce
but nothing else. KDE probably has some preferences thing somewhere,
otherwise you're pretty much as f..... as everyone who doesn't use a big
DE. Hurray for 'Desktop Integration'..
Philipp

--
"Wir stehen selbst enttäuscht und sehn betroffen / Den Vorhang zu und alle Fragen offen." Bertolt Brecht, Der gute Mensch von Sezuan

Old 06-14-2010, 04:28 PM
Nilesh Govindarajan

Excerpts from Nilesh Govindarajan's message of 2010-06-14 17:09:26 +0200:

I am a full time KDE user and I don't have GNOME or its libraries.
Firefox and Thunderbird keep asking me to choose applications to open
.pdf, .doc, .xls, http://, etc.
Is there no package which can fix the file associations for FF and TB ?

That's likely some xdg stuff. It usually works using gnome, KDE and xfce
but nothing else. KDE probably has some preferences thing somewhere,
otherwise you're pretty much as f..... as everyone who doesn't use a big
DE. Hurray for 'Desktop Integration'..

I don't think so.
xdg-settings --list gives on default-web-browser.

Old 06-14-2010, 09:53 PM
Philipp Überbacher

Excerpts from Nilesh Govindarajan's message of 2010-06-14 18:28:24 +0200:
> On 06/14/2010 09:07 PM, Philipp Überbacher wrote:
> > Excerpts from Nilesh Govindarajan's message of 2010-06-14 17:09:26 +0200:
> >> I am a full time KDE user and I don't have GNOME or its libraries.
> >> Firefox and Thunderbird keep asking me to choose applications to open
> >> .pdf, .doc, .xls, http://, etc.
> >> Is there no package which can fix the file associations for FF and TB ?
> >
> > That's likely some xdg stuff. It usually works using gnome, KDE and xfce
> > but nothing else. KDE probably has some preferences thing somewhere,
> > otherwise you're pretty much as f..... as everyone who doesn't use a big
> > DE. Hurray for 'Desktop Integration'..
>
> I don't think so.
> xdg-settings --list gives on default-web-browser.

You can't use xdg-settings when you don't have one of the major DEs
running, xdg-open falls back to a hardcoded array of browsers in that
case. It's all quite awkward if you don't use gnome, kde or xfce.
I know, doesn't really help with your problem..
Philipp

Old 06-14-2010, 10:33 PM
Michishige Kaito

[...]

I found thunderbird asking me for a program to execute for links. Pointed
it to the right program and told it to remember. Never asked again. I
wouldn't know where to change it if I ever wanted, but it's been working
so far, and I don't use a DE.

---
Michishige Kaito

BOFH excuse #261:

The Usenet news is out of date

Old 06-15-2010, 01:59 AM
Nilesh Govindarajan

[...]

Have you read the first line of my post properly ? I said I am a 100%
KDE user.

Old 06-15-2010, 05:48 AM
Madhurya Kakati

On Tue, Jun 15, 2010 at 7:29 AM, Nilesh Govindarajan <lists@itech7.com> wrote:
> On 06/15/2010 03:23 AM, Philipp Überbacher wrote:
>>
>> Excerpts from Nilesh Govindarajan's message of 2010-06-14 18:28:24 +0200:

>>> I don't think so.
>>> xdg-settings --list gives on default-web-browser.
>>
>> You can't use xdg-settings when you don't have one of the major DEs
>> running, xdg-open falls back to a hardcoded array of browsers in that
>> case. It's all quite awkward if you don't use gnome, kde or xfce.
>> I know, doesn't really help with your problem..
>
> Have you read the first line of my post properly ? I said I am a 100% KDE
> user.
>
> --
> Nilesh Govindarajan
> Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/nilesh.gr
> Twitter: http://twitter.com/nileshgr
> Website: http://www.itech7.com
> Cheap and Reliable VPS Hosting: http://j.mp/arHk5e

tried system settings? the file associations there i guess.

Old 06-15-2010, 08:19 AM
Peter Lewis

On Tuesday 15 Jun 2010 at 06:48 Madhurya Kakati wrote:

> >> You can't use xdg-settings when you don't have one of the major DEs
> >> running, xdg-open falls back to a hardcoded array of browsers in that
> >> case. It's all quite awkward if you don't use gnome, kde or xfce.
> >> I know, doesn't really help with your problem..
> >
> > Have you read the first line of my post properly ? I said I am a 100% KDE
> > user.
>
> tried system settings? the file associations there i guess.

I've come across this problem too. I've never managed to get Firefox to honour
KDE's file associations (which is big negative IMO), but on one machine, it
did remember what I told it to do. From memory, Firefox's file associations
can be edited in Edit->Preferences->Content, but I'm not sure if Thunderbird
has something similar, since I don't use it.

So can Firefox use XDG? I was under the impression that it just managed its
own associations.

On another machine though, with an identical set-up, it continually asks for a
binary to open the file with, and you have to point the file dialog to
/usr/bin/okular or whatever. This is annoying, but I've no idea why it worked
in one case by not the other.

Pete.

Old 06-15-2010, 08:40 AM
Nathan Wayde

[...]

Have you tried simply pressin ok when it asks you? Mozilla apps have a
nasty bug?/annoyance wherein the dialog pops up asking you to specifify
the program to use when in fact it knows your last preference. Also, if
in the case it works, you don't need, and prolly should enter the
command that opens it, instead use xdg-open and your preferred program
will be launch even after you change it.

Old 06-15-2010, 07:10 PM
Andres P

On Mon, Jun 14, 2010 at 10:39 AM, Nilesh Govindarajan <lists@itech7.com> wrote:
> I am a full time KDE user and I don't have GNOME or its libraries.
> Firefox and Thunderbird keep asking me to choose applications to open .pdf,
> .doc, .xls, http://, etc.
> Is there no package which can fix the file associations for FF and TB ?

Does mozilla work with ~/.mailcap?

:/

Andres P