Old 06-09-2010, 08:14 PM
Sergey Manucharian

Default Bad Magic Number in Superblock - Any trick for Arch or for new kernels?

Hi David,

Excerpts from David C. Rankin's message of Wed, 09 Jun 2010 13:16 -0500:

> Before I add the drive to the heap of drives in my 'dead
> drive box' are there any other silver bullets I should try to try and
> resurrect the drive? (Data isn't an issue, it's all backed up :-)

I had similar situation (just a couple of days ago) with my friend's
USB flash drive, which has fallen dead accidentally being transferred
from one computer to another. The symptoms were very similar. After
half an hour of trying to read outputs and resurrect it I've decided to
disassemble it. The quartz resonator's leg was torn off the board. I've
soldered it back - everything was back - partitions and data.

This long story is a hint that you may have an electronics failure in
your HDD. Just a physicist's opinion ;-)

Cheers,
Sergey

Old 06-10-2010, 12:52 AM
"David C. Rankin"

On 06/09/2010 03:14 PM, Sergey Manucharian wrote:
> Hi David,
>
> Excerpts from David C. Rankin's message of Wed, 09 Jun 2010 13:16 -0500:
>
>> Before I add the drive to the heap of drives in my 'dead
>> drive box' are there any other silver bullets I should try to try and
>> resurrect the drive? (Data isn't an issue, it's all backed up :-)
>
> I had similar situation (just a couple of days ago) with my friend's
> USB flash drive, which has fallen dead accidentally being transferred
> from one computer to another. The symptoms were very similar. After
> half an hour of trying to read outputs and resurrect it I've decided to
> disassemble it. The quartz resonator's leg was torn off the board. I've
> soldered it back - everything was back - partitions and data.
>
> This long story is a hint that you may have an electronics failure in
> your HDD. Just a physicist's opinion ;-)
>
> Cheers,
> Sergey

I'll take that physicists opinion to heart. With the drive out, I powered it up
on my glass coffee table for the usb connection. I have probably powered 30-50
drives like this and you get an 'ear' for whether there are problems with the drive.

In this case it sounded perfect. A bit slow to spin up (~ 2 sec lag in spinup),
but nothing major. After spinup, the read-write head did just what it was
supposed to: uncaged, a quick swing through the extent of its range of motion,
then promptly settled and sounded like it was saying "OK, I'm here, I'm ready to
read/write like I'm supposed to -- where's the requests?"

The drives balance was notably perfect. Being an off/old brand (MTD) I was
expecting slop. Nope, it put the new Seagates to shame.

If the drive had just cratered, I would expect more noise from the read-write
head searching for partition boundaries, etc.

(But.... There's not a damn thing I can do to check --> my vacuum chamber is on
the fritz :-)

I'll dork with it a bit more, then it's in the box with the rest of my collection...

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC

Old 06-13-2010, 08:39 AM
"David C. Rankin"

On 06/10/2010 05:20 PM, Gary Wright wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 10, 2010 at 4:06 PM, Axel Müller <axel-mueller-74@web.de> wrote:
>
>> I think it was about 1 1/2 year ago when there was a big fuss about some
>> Seagate drive models going bad because of a firmware bug. Seagate
>> provided a firmware update for these. If you haven't allready done so,
>> you might want to check their knowledge base if your drives were affected
>> and if you somehow can resurrect them yourself.
>
> [1] Random blog post on the issue
> [2] Link to serial number validation tool to see if it was one of the
> affected units:
>
> [1] http://storagesecrets.org/2009/01/alert-seagate-barracuda-diamondmax-drives-dying-emergency-actions-required/
> [2] http://support.seagate.com/sncheck.html

Thanks Guys,

I have an account with seagate (seeing how I have done this so many times) I
just type in my drive model and serial number info and they have a screen that
tells you (1) whether your drive is still covered, and (2) whether there are any
firmware updates that you might try.

My luck lately has been (1) out of warranty just be 30 days - a couple of
months and (2) already had the latest firmware ... :-(

But when you can throw them a Benjamin for a Terabyte of storage, the drives
are pretty much throw away at that point (too bad the quality had to drop to
reflect it ;-)

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC