Old 06-09-2010, 06:16 PM
"David C. Rankin"

Default Bad Magic Number in Superblock - Any trick for Arch or for new kernels?

Guys,

I have a disk on a arch box that has gone south. No prior warning, no smart
errors, no nothing. Granted the drive is 5-6 years old, so a complete crater is
not out of the question.

The situation:

On reboot - grub 22 error
boot arch install cd 2009-08, cannot mount drive
partition table shows 1 partition /dev/hda1 (PATA drive) (should be 3)
(I can't put my hands on the saved 'fdisk -l' data, it's somewhere)
gparted 0.46 (0.44 wont work) - loads, but only shows a single partition
fsck -> Gives the bad magic number in superblock error, tries backup same error
Booted without issue for over a year

From the looks of it, the drive scattered. But my question is "Is there
something with all the recent kernel changes that would require troubleshooting
this drive error in a different way than usual?"

I know there have been a lot of changes in moving modules into the kernel, but
I don't know what got moved (if anything related to drives), or how it might
affect my troubleshooting.

Before I add the drive to the heap of drives in my 'dead drive box' are there
any other silver bullets I should try to try and resurrect the drive? (Data
isn't an issue, it's all backed up :-)

What say the gurus?

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.