Old 06-07-2010, 01:38 PM
Mathias Huber

Default Any Arch Users/Developers @ Linuxtag 2010?

Dear Arch users and developers,

will any of you be at the Linuxtag conference and expo in Berlin
<http://www.linuxtag.org> later this week? Would you like to meet?
Myself, I am an Archlinux newbie,

Best Regards,
Mathias

Old 06-07-2010, 06:09 PM
Gaurish Sharma

Hi,
I heard this year Microsoft is one of the sponsors for the event. I
can only guess what they are doing at Linux/Open Source event.

Regards,
Gaurish Sharma
www.gaurishsharma.com

Old 06-07-2010, 06:20 PM
Rafael Correia

The purpose of Microsoft at a Open Source event? Steal code, of course.

-- Rafael Correia

Old 06-07-2010, 09:16 PM
Felipe Tanus

Hi all,

On Mon, Jun 7, 2010 at 3:20 PM, Rafael Correia <rafaelnominato@gmail.com> wrote:
> The purpose of Microsoft at a Open Source event? Steal code, of course.
>
> -- Rafael Correia

Actually, Microsoft contributes to open source [1]. Including
to Linux kernel, with drivers [2]. I guess we should be thankful for
they spend they time and money helping the kernel.
Personally I don't care what they true intentions are, and
surely they only did this aiming on what any capitalist company would
do, but the fact is that helps Linux as a software.

[ ]'s

[1] http://www.microsoft.com/opensource/
[2] http://www.microsoft.com/opensource/project-detail.aspx?pid=18

--
Felipe de Oliveira Tanus
E-mail: fotanus@gmail.com

Old 06-07-2010, 09:34 PM
Hilton Medeiros

On Mon, 7 Jun 2010 18:16:51 -0300
Felipe Tanus <fotanus@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> On Mon, Jun 7, 2010 at 3:20 PM, Rafael Correia
> <rafaelnominato@gmail.com> wrote:
> > The purpose of Microsoft at a Open Source event? Steal code, of
> > course.
> >
> > -- Rafael Correia
> >

> Actually, Microsoft contributes to open source [1]. Including
> to Linux kernel, with drivers [2]. I guess we should be thankful for
> they spend they time and money helping the kernel.
> Personally I don't care what they true intentions are, and
> surely they only did this aiming on what any capitalist company would
> do, but the fact is that helps Linux as a software.
>
> [ ]'s
>
> [1] http://www.microsoft.com/opensource/
> [2] http://www.microsoft.com/opensource/project-detail.aspx?pid=18

Don't do that, please.
Defending MS for fun in a Linux mailing list won't get you anywhere.
You have a blog for posting your thoughts. Useless flamebait posts
should be motive enough for a ban. Don't even start, please.

Old 06-07-2010, 09:37 PM
Philipp Überbacher

Excerpts from Felipe Tanus's message of 2010-06-07 23:16:51 +0200:
> Hi all,
>
> On Mon, Jun 7, 2010 at 3:20 PM, Rafael Correia <rafaelnominato@gmail.com> wrote:
> > The purpose of Microsoft at a Open Source event? Steal code, of course.
> >
> > -- Rafael Correia
> >

> Actually, Microsoft contributes to open source [1]. Including
> to Linux kernel, with drivers [2]. I guess we should be thankful for
> they spend they time and money helping the kernel.
> Personally I don't care what they true intentions are, and
> surely they only did this aiming on what any capitalist company would
> do, but the fact is that helps Linux as a software.
>
> [ ]'s
>
> [1] http://www.microsoft.com/opensource/
> [2] http://www.microsoft.com/opensource/project-detail.aspx?pid=18

I seem to remember that those drivers are really badly maintained.
And opensource is a term that can have a broad range of meanings, in the
case of microsoft it usually means "You can look at the code, nothing
else."
Philipp

--
"Wir stehen selbst enttäuscht und sehn betroffen / Den Vorhang zu und alle Fragen offen." Bertolt Brecht, Der gute Mensch von Sezuan

Old 06-07-2010, 10:45 PM
Ng Oon-Ee

On Mon, 2010-06-07 at 18:34 -0300, Hilton Medeiros wrote:
> On Mon, 7 Jun 2010 18:16:51 -0300
> Felipe Tanus <fotanus@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > On Mon, Jun 7, 2010 at 3:20 PM, Rafael Correia
> > <rafaelnominato@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > The purpose of Microsoft at a Open Source event? Steal code, of
> > > course.
> > >
> > > -- Rafael Correia
> > >

> > Actually, Microsoft contributes to open source [1]. Including
> > to Linux kernel, with drivers [2]. I guess we should be thankful for
> > they spend they time and money helping the kernel.
> > Personally I don't care what they true intentions are, and
> > surely they only did this aiming on what any capitalist company would
> > do, but the fact is that helps Linux as a software.
> >
> > [ ]'s
> >
> > [1] http://www.microsoft.com/opensource/
> > [2] http://www.microsoft.com/opensource/project-detail.aspx?pid=18
> >

> Don't do that, please.
> Defending MS for fun in a Linux mailing list won't get you anywhere.
> You have a blog for posting your thoughts. Useless flamebait posts
> should be motive enough for a ban. Don't even start, please.

If that's the case criticizing Microsoft for fun should be enough to
earn a ban. The snide comments on Microsoft's intentions are much worse
flame-baiting than clarification on Microsoft's real (admittedly minor)
contributions to the kernel.

Linux is not a religious cult.

Old 06-07-2010, 11:17 PM
Sven-Hendrik Haase

[...]

Woah, guys stop this now. This started off starting asking whether
anybody here attended LinuxTag 2010 and not one person replied correctly
to the original post's question. Just stop this off-topic stuff here
please.

-- Sven-Hendrik

Old 06-07-2010, 11:32 PM
Sven-Hendrik Haase

will any of you be at the Linuxtag conference and expo in Berlin
<http://www.linuxtag.org> later this week? Would you like to meet?
Myself, I am an Archlinux newbie,

Best Regards,
Mathias

I will attend and I'll even be an exhibitor. Meet me at the linux-gamers
booth.
I'll be there with at least another Archer. I'll probably be there all
the time.

-- Sven-Hendrik

Old 06-08-2010, 09:00 AM
Mathias Huber

Dear Sven-Hendrik,

> I will attend and I'll even be an exhibitor. Meet me at the linux-gamers
> booth.
> I'll be there with at least another Archer. I'll probably be there all
> the time.

great! I'll drop by, probably on Friday.

Looking forward to seeing you :-)
Mathias