Old 06-03-2010, 08:40 PM
"Keith Hinton"

Default Xorg18 status and Gnome

Hi,
Why is it that Arch seems to take longer than say other distros such as Ubuntu, Debian, etc, to support newer versions of Xorg and Gnome? I was curious about that process.
While Debian/Ubuntu/etc distros seem to be supporting the Gnome desktop just fine, it appears that others most noticeably that of Gentoo and other such similar distros, mask or test out Gnome/Xorg, rather than releasing it strate away into say in Arches case, the extra/core repos.
I had another question, relating to that of Arch, some webpages I have found compare Arch to Debian Cid/Unstable. How true is this, and exactly in what way is Arch Linux itself, like that of Debian Cid? Thanks!
Regards, --Keith
Skype: skypedude1234
MSN Messenger:
keithint37@hotmail.com
Yahoo messenger /AIM:
keithint1234

Old 06-03-2010, 09:03 PM
Alexander Preisinger

2010/6/3 Keith Hinton <keithint1234@gmail.com>:
> Hi,
> Why is it that Arch seems to take longer than say other distros such as Ubuntu, Debian, etc, to support newer versions of Xorg and Gnome? I was curious about that process.
> While Debian/Ubuntu/etc distros seem to be supporting the Gnome desktop just fine, it appears that others most noticeably that of Gentoo and other such similar distros, mask or test out Gnome/Xorg, rather than releasing it strate away into say in Arches case, the extra/core repos.
> I had another question, relating to that of Arch, some webpages I have found compare Arch to Debian Cid/Unstable. How true is this, and exactly in what way is Arch Linux itself, like that of Debian Cid? Thanks!
> Regards, --Keith
> Skype: skypedude1234
> MSN Messenger:
> keithint37@hotmail.com
> Yahoo *messenger /AIM:
> keithint1234

Arch was the fastest distro releasing Gnome 2.30.