-   -   dialup woes wvdial, external v92 modem connected via usb/serial adapter (http://www.linux-archive.org/archlinux-general-discussion/381167-dialup-woes-wvdial-external-v92-modem-connected-via-usb-serial-adapter.html)

"Joe(theWordy)Philbrook" 06-03-2010 08:24 PM

dialup woes wvdial, external v92 modem connected via usb/serial adapter

I'm having a problem getting dialup to work...
Due to financial limitations, I'm going to have to give up my expensive
broadband connection in favor of {sigh} dial-up which will save me about
$50/month.

I still have my external v92 zoom serial modem from before I went
broadband. But now that my only working computer is my laptop I had the
problem of not having a serial port to connect it to.

I already tried to get my laptops internal {win}modem to work via Linmodem,
but failed miserably... Thus I acquired a usb/serial adapter cable, and used
it to connect my v92 modem. wvdialconf detected it OK. But I can't get it to
dial. With some experimentation based on some init strings I found online
and a brief modem command reference, I've been able to get the modem to at
least go off hook, by adding H1 to the Init2 string. Proving at least that
wvdial was attempting to control the correct device. But it didn't dial.
It complained that my dial string was invalid and disconnected...
Except that the modem didn't hang up (I listened to the phone company
recording about hanging up and dialing again...)
A little more experimentation reveled that if I used &C0 instead of &C1
it would hang up when it disconnects. But it still doesn't actually
dial. And still complains about my dial string. I have verified the 7
digit 'Phone = "7340102" ' string by manually dialing it with a
telephone and heard the sound of my ISP's modem attempting to
negotiate a connection. And, in my wvdial.conf, I have tried the string
both with and without quotes.

I've included {below} a copy of my wvdial.conf & pasted in the results
of my last attempt to use wvdial...

Could somebody tell me what I'm doing wrong?

=> My wvdial.conf (with password line modified of course):

[Dialer Defaults]
Init1 = ATZ
# Init2 as defined by wvdial.conf:
# Init2 = ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
# Init2 modified: Without H1 stayed on hook. Without &C0 wouldn't hang up on disconnect...
Init2 = ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C0 &D2 H1 +FCLASS=0
Modem Type = Analog Modem
Modem = /dev/ttyUSB0
Baud = 115200
New PPPD = yes
# tried with and without Carrier Check
Carrier Check = off
# tried with and without Stupid Mode
Stupid Mode = on
Dial Command = ATDT
Phone = "7340102"
ISDN = 0
Username = jtwdyp@ttlc.net
Password = xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

=> A screen capture of my last wvdial attempt:

UnderTree =-> wvdial
--> WvDial: Internet dialer version 1.61
--> Cannot get information for serial port.
--> Initializing modem.
--> Sending: ATZ
ATZ
OK
--> Sending: ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C0 &D2 H1 +FCLASS=0
ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C0 &D2 H1 +FCLASS=0
OK
--> Modem initialized.
--> Sending: ATDT7340102
--> Waiting for carrier.
ATDT7340102
ERROR
--> Invalid dial command.
--> Disconnecting at Thu Jun 3 15:38:23 2010
UnderTree =->

Ross 06-03-2010 10:12 PM

[...]

Perhaps you need pulse instead of tone dialing? If that is the case try
setting Dial Command = ATDP

Ross.

"Joe(theWordy)Philbrook" 06-04-2010 04:39 AM

dialup woes wvdial, external v92 modem connected via usb/serial adapter

It would appear that on Jun 4, Ross did say:

> Perhaps you need pulse instead of tone dialing? If that is the case try
> setting Dial Command = ATDP

Thanks for the suggestion Ross. Though I don't see how that could be it...
All of my telephones use tone not pulse (I just double checked the one on
my desk, it's switchable, but the switch is set to the clearly marked
"tone" setting.

None the less, I suppose the modem itself might be malfunctioning in
some way that prevents tone dialing. So while I doubt pulse dialing is
the answer, I shall test this theory.

. . .

UnderTree =-> wvdial
--> WvDial: Internet dialer version 1.61
--> Cannot get information for serial port.
--> Initializing modem.
--> Sending: ATZ
ATZ
OK
--> Sending: ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C0 &D2 H1 +FCLASS=0
ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C0 &D2 H1 +FCLASS=0
OK
--> Modem initialized.
--> Sending: ATDP7340102
--> Waiting for carrier.
ATDP7340102
ERROR
--> Invalid dial command.
--> Disconnecting at Fri Jun 4 00:07:41 2010
UnderTree =->

Nope, wasn't that. {sigh} I do wish I could be sure what's wrong.

If anybody familiar with zoom brand external modems could confirm that
the wvdial.conf I included in my previous post "SHOULD" work, I might
conclude that my zoom modem may have developed a malfunction during
the years it spent collecting dust in the junk box under my desk.

In which case, I still have about a week to return the $39 usb/serial
adapter to staples where $59 will get me a new zoom v92 usb modem.
But if it turns out that there is something wrong with my wvdial.conf
that's causing the problem, (rather than a defective serial port modem)
then I've got better things to do with the $20 difference.

--
| ~-~ ~-~ Guess I just don't know.
| <?> <?> Joseph (the Wordy) Philbrook
| ^ J(tWdy)P
| ___ <jtwdyp@ttlc.net>

<sigh>

Ross 06-04-2010 08:04 AM

[...]

device
If you are using a usb -> serial adapter I think your Modem should be
something like /dev/ttyS0 (you could check on your system with "dmesg
|grep serial") instead of /dev/ttyUSB0

Ross.

"Joe(theWordy)Philbrook" 06-05-2010 05:36 AM

dialup woes wvdial, external v92 modem connected via usb/serial adapter

It would appear that on Jun 4, Ross did say:

> If you are using a usb -> serial adapter I think your Modem should be
> something like /dev/ttyS0 (you could check on your system with "dmesg
> |grep serial") instead of /dev/ttyUSB0

I would have thought so to. But unless I'm remembering wrong, isn't
/dev/ttyS[1-3] the linux equivalent of com[1-4]? In which case, if the
modem could be found on one of those wvdial wouldn't tell me:
--> Cannot get information for serial port.
just before it initializes the modem device specified in the
wvdial.conf file, would it??? And in any case, /dev/ttyUSB0 is where
wvdialconf identified my modem.

=> UnderTree =-> wvdialconf wvdial.cfg
=> Editing `wvdial.cfg'.
=>
=> Scanning your serial ports for a modem.
=>
=> Modem Port Scan<*1>: S0 S1 S2 S3
=> WvModem<*1>: Cannot get information for serial port.
=> ttyUSB0<*1>: ATQ0 V1 E1 -- OK
=> ttyUSB0<*1>: ATQ0 V1 E1 Z -- OK
=> ttyUSB0<*1>: ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 -- OK
=> ttyUSB0<*1>: ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 -- OK
=> ttyUSB0<*1>: ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 -- OK
=> ttyUSB0<*1>: ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0 -- OK
=> ttyUSB0<*1>: Modem Identifier: ATI -- Zoom V.92 Serial s110701 -C Z207
=> ttyUSB0<*1>: Speed 4800: AT -- OK
=> ttyUSB0<*1>: Speed 9600: AT -- OK
=> ttyUSB0<*1>: Speed 19200: AT -- OK
=> ttyUSB0<*1>: Speed 38400: AT -- OK
=> ttyUSB0<*1>: Speed 57600: AT -- OK
=> ttyUSB0<*1>: Speed 115200: AT -- OK
=> ttyUSB0<*1>: Max speed is 115200; that should be safe.
=> ttyUSB0<*1>: ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0 -- OK
=>
=> Found a modem on /dev/ttyUSB0.
=> wvdial.cfg<Warn>: Can't open 'wvdial.cfg' for reading: No such file or directory
=> wvdial.cfg<Warn>: ...starting with blank configuration.
=> Modem configuration written to wvdial.cfg.
=> ttyUSB0<Info>: Speed 115200; init "ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0"
=> UnderTree =->

Still lets see what dmesg says:

=> UnderTree =-> dmesg|grep serial
=> usbcore: registered new interface driver usbserial
=> usbcore: registered new interface driver usbserial_generic
=> usbserial: USB Serial Driver core
=> UnderTree =-> ls -l /dev/ttyS*
=> crw-rw---- 1 root uucp 4, 64 Jun 5 00:11 /dev/ttyS0
=> crw-rw---- 1 root uucp 4, 65 Jun 5 00:11 /dev/ttyS1
=> crw-rw---- 1 root uucp 4, 66 Jun 5 00:11 /dev/ttyS2
=> crw-rw---- 1 root uucp 4, 67 Jun 5 00:11 /dev/ttyS3
=> UnderTree =-> ls -l /dev/ttyU*
=> crw-rw---- 1 root uucp 188, 0 Jun 5 00:11 /dev/ttyUSB0
=> UnderTree =-> vim /etc/wvdial.conf
=> UnderTree =-> wvdial
=> --> WvDial: Internet dialer version 1.61
=> --> Cannot open /dev/ttyS0: Input/output error
=> --> Cannot open /dev/ttyS0: Input/output error
=> --> Cannot open /dev/ttyS0: Input/output error
=> UnderTree =-> vim /etc/wvdial.conf
=> UnderTree =-> wvdial
=> --> WvDial: Internet dialer version 1.61
=> --> Cannot open /dev/ttyS1: Input/output error
=> --> Cannot open /dev/ttyS1: Input/output error
=> --> Cannot open /dev/ttyS1: Input/output error
=> UnderTree =-> vim /etc/wvdial.conf
=> UnderTree =-> wvdial
=> --> WvDial: Internet dialer version 1.61
=> --> Cannot open /dev/ttyS2: Input/output error
=> --> Cannot open /dev/ttyS2: Input/output error
=> --> Cannot open /dev/ttyS2: Input/output error
=> UnderTree =-> vim /etc/wvdial.conf
=> UnderTree =-> wvdial
=> --> WvDial: Internet dialer version 1.61
=> --> Cannot open /dev/ttyS3: Input/output error
=> --> Cannot open /dev/ttyS3: Input/output error
=> --> Cannot open /dev/ttyS3: Input/output error
=> UnderTree =-> vim /etc/wvdial.conf
=> UnderTree =-> wvdial
=> --> WvDial: Internet dialer version 1.61
=> --> Cannot get information for serial port.
=> --> Initializing modem.
=> --> Sending: ATZ
=> ATZ
=> OK
=> --> Sending: ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C0 &D2 H1 +FCLASS=0
=> ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C0 &D2 H1 +FCLASS=0
=> OK
=> --> Modem initialized.
=> --> Sending: ATDT7340102
=> --> Waiting for carrier.
=> ATDT7340102
=> ERROR
=> --> Invalid dial command.
=> --> Disconnecting at Sat Jun 5 00:38:10 2010
=> UnderTree =->

Wvdial only finds the modem when I specify 'Modem = /dev/ttyUSB0' in
my wvdial.conf file...

--
| ^^^ ^^^
| <o> <o> Joe (theWordy) Philbrook
| ^ J(tWdy)P
| ___ <<jtwdyp@ttlc.net>>

<sigh>

Ross 06-05-2010 06:55 AM

dialup woes wvdial, external v92 modem connected via usb/serial adapter

It would appear that on Jun 4, Ross did say:

If you are using a usb -> serial adapter I think your Modem should be
something like /dev/ttyS0 (you could check on your system with "dmesg
|grep serial") instead of /dev/ttyUSB0

I would have thought so to. But unless I'm remembering wrong, isn't
/dev/ttyS[1-3] the linux equivalent of com[1-4]? In which case, if the
modem could be found on one of those wvdial wouldn't tell me:
--> Cannot get information for serial port.
just before it initializes the modem device specified in the
wvdial.conf file, would it??? And in any case, /dev/ttyUSB0 is where
wvdialconf identified my modem.

=> Found a modem on /dev/ttyUSB0.
=> wvdial.cfg<Warn>: Can't open 'wvdial.cfg' for reading: No such file or directory
=> wvdial.cfg<Warn>: ...starting with blank configuration.
=> Modem configuration written to wvdial.cfg.
=> ttyUSB0<Info>: Speed 115200; init "ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0&C1&D2 +FCLASS=0"
=> UnderTree =->

Wvdial only finds the modem when I specify 'Modem = /dev/ttyUSB0' in
my wvdial.conf file...

Are you able to access the modem with minicom?

Ross.

"Joe(theWordy)Philbrook" 06-05-2010 08:20 PM

dialup woes wvdial, external v92 modem connected via usb/serial adapter

It would appear that on Jun 5, Ross did say:

> On 05/06/10 17:36, Joe(theWordy)Philbrook wrote:
> >
> > Wvdial only finds the modem when I specify 'Modem = /dev/ttyUSB0' in
> > my wvdial.conf file...
> >

> Are you able to access the modem with minicom?

I'm unable to figure out how to use minicom...

After much fumbling around I managed to find where to define the init
string and where to put the number to be dialed. (I think) Anyway, somehow
I managed to get it to talk to the modem itself, BUT...

I start minicom and it initializes the modem. (If the init string
includes the H1 it goes off hook, which soon leads to the phone company
interrupting the dial tone to tell me to dial again. Without the H1 it
never goes off hook.) Either way it still doesn't dial.
(if I type '^A Z D {enter}' it tells me I'm already online and that I
should hangup first. But doing a '^A H' {followed by selecting 'yes' in
the pop-up text box} has no effect...) And incidentally I when it told me
I was already online, I opened another terminal and confirmed that I
couldn't 'ping google.com' without reconnecting the ethernet cable.