Old 05-06-2010, 03:49 PM
Sergey Manucharian

Default intel video & suspend

Hi folks,

Regularly I put my ThinkPad R61 into suspend twice a day, and
everything worked perfectly until 2.6.32 and 2.6.33 kernels.

Now from time to time (≈ once a week) when I wake it up, the screen
remains black in both X and text console. Nothing can bring it back,
but everything else works just fine. No errors in logs either.

The suspend is done with:
# echo -n mem >/sys/power/state
(just the stock /etc/acpi/handler.sh of acpid package)

I have Intel GM965 card and run xorg-server-1.7.6-3.
Driver: xf86-video-intel-2.10.0-1

I found that there are a couple of patches [1,2] for i915 and intel bios
were made in Nov-Dec 2009 to fix such problems, and they were supposed
to be in 2.6.33, but my problem persists.

Does anybody have ideas/info?

Thanks,
Sergey

[1] http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=87828
[2] https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/62734/

Old 05-06-2010, 06:32 PM
Isaac Dupree

Regularly I put my ThinkPad R61 into suspend twice a day, and
everything worked perfectly until 2.6.32 and 2.6.33 kernels.

Now from time to time (≈ once a week) when I wake it up, the screen
remains black in both X and text console. Nothing can bring it back,

What about suspending again, perhaps waiting a few seconds, and resuming
again? Does that have a chance to help? (It helps me on my Intel
card's graphic glitches sometimes. I can do it easily because closing
the laptop lid causes suspend, and opening it causes wake-up...)

Old 05-06-2010, 07:15 PM
Sergey Manucharian

Excerpts from Isaac Dupree's message of Thu, 06 May 2010 14:32 -0400:

> On 05/06/10 11:49, Sergey Manucharian wrote:
> > Hi folks,
> >
> > Regularly I put my ThinkPad R61 into suspend twice a day, and
> > everything worked perfectly until 2.6.32 and 2.6.33 kernels.
> >
> > Now from time to time (≈ once a week) when I wake it up, the screen
> > remains black in both X and text console. Nothing can bring it back,
>
> What about suspending again, perhaps waiting a few seconds, and
> resuming again? Does that have a chance to help? (It helps me on my
> Intel card's graphic glitches sometimes. I can do it easily because
> closing the laptop lid causes suspend, and opening it causes
> wake-up...)

I tried that too with no success, next time will try to suspend again
for longer time... The bad thing is that it may work properly next 50
times - it's not easily reproducible.

Sergey

Old 05-07-2010, 05:40 AM
Nick Stepa

On Thu, May 06, 2010 at 01:15:53PM -0600, Sergey Manucharian wrote:
> Excerpts from Isaac Dupree's message of Thu, 06 May 2010 14:32 -0400:
>
> > On 05/06/10 11:49, Sergey Manucharian wrote:
> > > Hi folks,
> > >
> > > Regularly I put my ThinkPad R61 into suspend twice a day, and
> > > everything worked perfectly until 2.6.32 and 2.6.33 kernels.
> > >
> > > Now from time to time (≈ once a week) when I wake it up, the screen
> > > remains black in both X and text console. Nothing can bring it back,
> >
> > What about suspending again, perhaps waiting a few seconds, and
> > resuming again? Does that have a chance to help? (It helps me on my
> > Intel card's graphic glitches sometimes. I can do it easily because
> > closing the laptop lid causes suspend, and opening it causes
> > wake-up...)
>
> I tried that too with no success, next time will try to suspend again
> for longer time... The bad thing is that it may work properly next 50
> times - it's not easily reproducible.
>
> Sergey

I use pm-suspend and never have some problems.

Old 05-07-2010, 08:13 AM
Christoph Rissner

Now from time to time (≈ once a week) when I wake it up, the screen
remains black in both X and text console. Nothing can bring it back,

What about suspending again, perhaps waiting a few seconds, and resuming
again? Does that have a chance to help? (It helps me on my Intel
card's graphic glitches sometimes. I can do it easily because closing
the laptop lid causes suspend, and opening it causes wake-up...)

I have a Pineview Integreted Controller (i915) in my eeepc and this
happened to me twice (in the last month) after closing the lid, but I
just issue "xset dpms force off" without suspending.

No issues with coming up from suspend so far.

kernel26 2.6.33.2-1
xorg-server 1.7.6-3
xf86-video-intel 2.10.0-1

Bye,
Christoph

Old 05-07-2010, 05:16 PM
Isaac Dupree

Now from time to time (≈ once a week) when I wake it up, the screen
remains black in both X and text console. Nothing can bring it back,

What about suspending again, perhaps waiting a few seconds, and resuming
again? Does that have a chance to help? (It helps me on my Intel
card's graphic glitches sometimes. I can do it easily because closing
the laptop lid causes suspend, and opening it causes wake-up...)

I have a Pineview Integreted Controller (i915) in my eeepc and this
happened to me twice (in the last month) after closing the lid, but I
just issue "xset dpms force off" without suspending.

please inform us, what does "xset dpms force off" do? And for what
circumstances/purpose do you use it? I looked in the man-page of 'xset'
and found it, but I wasn't sure enough to risk using it in case it did
something I didn't know how to get out of*

*like blanking my screen (see "off" + mentioning suspending), or like
turning on "DPMS Energy Star Features" (see man-page, "Setting these
values implicitly enables the DPMS features."), or something. Please
tell us :-) and did you mean

-it's a preventative measure to screen-glitches?
-it's a remedy for screen glitches after they happen?
-it's an alternative to suspending for the purpose of saving power?
-...

sorry :0)

-Isaac

Old 05-07-2010, 05:33 PM
"Ciprian Dorin, Craciun"

On Thu, May 6, 2010 at 21:32, Isaac Dupree
<ml@isaac.cedarswampstudios.org> wrote:
> On 05/06/10 11:49, Sergey Manucharian wrote:
>>
>> Hi folks,
>>
>> Regularly I put my ThinkPad R61 into suspend twice a day, and
>> everything worked perfectly until 2.6.32 and 2.6.33 kernels.
>>
>> Now from time to time (≈ once a week) when I wake it up, the screen
>> remains black in both X and text console. Nothing can bring it back,
>
> What about suspending again, perhaps waiting a few seconds, and resuming
> again? *Does that have a chance to help? *(It helps me on my Intel card's
> graphic glitches sometimes. I can do it easily because closing the laptop
> lid causes suspend, and opening it causes wake-up...)

Hello all!

I had (and still have) the same problem (almost) with my Benq
Joybook S32. It has an Intel GM965.

But my problem is a little bit more different:
* sometimes after a resume the X remains pitch black (I guess it
doesn't exit from the DPMS mode), and to "help" it I switch to VT1 and
then back to the VT12 (where I have my X configured);
* but on the other hand if before I suspend my laptop I have
connected a monitor (on VGA), and on resume the monitor is not
connected any more (or the other way around, no monitor at suspend,
but monitor present at resume), my monitor goes again pitch black, but
this time nothing helps except another suspend and resume.

Till this day I haven't figured a way to solve the problem, but I
didn't investigated it more in depth.

Did I mention that I use the mod_setting? Maybe it happens only in
this case?

I hope that at the end of this thread we solve the problem.
Ciprian.

Old 05-21-2010, 03:50 PM
Sergey Manucharian

Excerpts from Nick Stepa's message of Fri, 07 May 2010 08:40 +0300:

> On Thu, May 06, 2010 at 01:15:53PM -0600, Sergey Manucharian wrote:
> > Excerpts from Isaac Dupree's message of Thu, 06 May 2010 14:32
> > -0400:

> > > What about suspending again, perhaps waiting a few seconds, and
> > > resuming again? Does that have a chance to help? (It helps me
> > > on my Intel card's graphic glitches sometimes. I can do it easily
> > > because closing the laptop lid causes suspend, and opening it
> > > causes wake-up...)
> >
> > I tried that too with no success, next time will try to suspend
> > again for longer time... The bad thing is that it may work properly
> > next 50 times - it's not easily reproducible.
> >
> > Sergey
>
> I use pm-suspend and never have some problems.

I started using pm-suspend after this advice, and indeed it haven't
happened until today (2 weeks). I tried to suspend it again (and
bring back) with various pm-suspend quirks, but nothing helped - I just
rebooted to get my screen back. I understand that the using of quirks
may not help if it already failed and fell into a bad mode. But
anyway, does anybody use those quirks with Intel GM965 card?

Cheers,
Sergey

Old 05-21-2010, 11:51 PM
Isaac Dupree

oh by the way, I started using 2.6.34 kernel and haven't personally had
any graphical issues since (it's in Testing -- make sure to get both
kernel and firmware, but AFAICT it works fine to download/install those
two packages without using any other part of Testing, at least this time
around)

-Isaac

Old 06-18-2010, 07:36 AM
Christoph Rissner