Old 06-18-2010, 07:54 AM
Ray Rashif

Default intel video & suspend

On 18 June 2010 15:36, Christoph Rissner <c.r@visotech.at> wrote:
> On 05/07/2010 07:16 PM, Isaac Dupree wrote:
>>
>> please inform us, what does "xset dpms force off" do? *And for what
>> circumstances/purpose do you use it?
>
> Sorry it took so long, I missed your reply.
>
> "xset dpms force off" is supposed to turn off the screen immediately using
> DPMS, at least thats what it seems to do.
> I just don't want to suspend (suspend the whole system to RAM) everytime I
> close the lid, rather I like it to continue to work on whatever I told it to
> do :-)

That _is_ the default behaviour - the laptop should do nothing at all
when the lid is closed. I know of no particular hardware/BIOS that
sets a sleep action upon lid closure. It is only altered by userspace
tools/daemons like for eg. when using a DE. You might want to check
what else is enforcing a rule to the lid-closing state.

--
GPG/PGP ID: B42DDCAD

Old 06-18-2010, 08:01 AM
Philipp Überbacher

Excerpts from Christoph Rissner's message of 2010-06-18 09:36:27 +0200:
> On 05/07/2010 07:16 PM, Isaac Dupree wrote:
> > please inform us, what does "xset dpms force off" do? And for what
> > circumstances/purpose do you use it?
>
> Sorry it took so long, I missed your reply.
>
> "xset dpms force off" is supposed to turn off the screen immediately
> using DPMS, at least thats what it seems to do.
> I just don't want to suspend (suspend the whole system to RAM) everytime
> I close the lid, rather I like it to continue to work on whatever I told
> it to do :-)
>
> Bye
> Christoph

The syntax of that stuff is weird, but here's what I have, seems to work:

# turn off screen powersaving
setterm -blank 0 -powersave off -powerdown 0

#turn powersave off
xset dpms 0 0 0
xset -dpms

#turn screensaver off
xset s 0 0
xset s noblank
xset s noexpose
xset s off

Philipp

--
"Wir stehen selbst enttäuscht und sehn betroffen / Den Vorhang zu und alle Fragen offen." Bertolt Brecht, Der gute Mensch von Sezuan

Old 06-18-2010, 08:07 AM
Philipp Überbacher

Excerpts from Ray Rashif's message of 2010-06-18 09:54:55 +0200:
> On 18 June 2010 15:36, Christoph Rissner <c.r@visotech.at> wrote:
> > On 05/07/2010 07:16 PM, Isaac Dupree wrote:
> >>
> >> please inform us, what does "xset dpms force off" do? *And for what
> >> circumstances/purpose do you use it?
> >
> > Sorry it took so long, I missed your reply.
> >
> > "xset dpms force off" is supposed to turn off the screen immediately using
> > DPMS, at least thats what it seems to do.
> > I just don't want to suspend (suspend the whole system to RAM) everytime I
> > close the lid, rather I like it to continue to work on whatever I told it to
> > do :-)
>
> That _is_ the default behaviour - the laptop should do nothing at all
> when the lid is closed. I know of no particular hardware/BIOS that
> sets a sleep action upon lid closure. It is only altered by userspace
> tools/daemons like for eg. when using a DE. You might want to check
> what else is enforcing a rule to the lid-closing state.

Mine does turn off the backlight, and I'm quite sure there's no
userspace involved, just plain hardware/bios. No idea whether others do
more than that. Turning off the backlight seems like reasonably safe
thing to do.
Philipp

Old 06-18-2010, 08:12 AM
Christoph Rissner