Old 01-19-2011, 12:01 AM
Mark Knecht

Default VirtualBox

On Sun, Jan 16, 2011 at 7:04 AM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@gmail.com> wrote:
> Apparently, though unproven, at 02:56 on Saturday 15 January 2011, Mark Knecht
> did opine thusly:
>
>> On Fri, Jan 14, 2011 at 4:23 PM, john <john@arcticwolf.myzen.co.uk> wrote:
>> > Any one having issues with version 4 of VirtualBox.
>> >
>> > Mouse integration does not work any more. I can no longer use mouse
>> > within VirtualBox.
>> >
>> > I have disabled/enabled mosue integration.
>> >

>> > --------------
>> > John D Maunder
>> > john@arcticwolf.myzen.co.uk
>>
>> Hi John,
>> * *I'm having a few issues with it, but not specifically any mouse
>> problems. I run both Gentoo and Win7 VMs, and I run the Gentoo VMs on
>> both Gentoo and Win7 hosts. The mouse has been a little touchy within
>> the Gentoo VM on a Win7 host, at least the first day or two. However I
>> followed the guide I found and enabled the additions package in
>> rc-update and things got better. No mouse problems with any of the VMs
>> on my Gentoo host.
>>
>> * *My big problem is that a perfectly working Win7 VM under 3.?.? now
>> 'pauses' at odd times. It's working fine, but I come back and hour
>> later and it's all grayed out. I unpause it and it is working again
>> for another hour. The same VM under the previous version didn't do
>> this ever.
>>
>> - Mark
>
> Mark,
>
> Sounds like this:
>
> http://pi-ist-genau-3.de/?p=1071
>

> --
> alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Alan,
It did sound like that, and the visual description of what I was
seeing was dead on. In my case however it seems it was the power plan
setting.

Best I can tell VB-3.x.x. didn't pay any particular attention to
the part of the power plan that 'put the computer to sleep'. In the
past I was able to run long jobs that went past the timeout and they
kept running just fine. 4.0.0 seems to have changed this. I watched it
happen twice over the weekend with an egg timer. I then changed the
power plan in Win7 to 'Performance' which shuts off only the monitor
and the problem disappeared.

As a test I did a whole new Win7 VM install from scratch, changed
nothing, and watched that one shut off also.

At this point things are working pretty well. There was a minor
update that came out today. It's installed and running and things seem
OK. I don't know what it fixed.

Cheers,
Mark

Old 08-06-2011, 05:20 PM
Robin

Oh, waaah. I don't think it'll run on my old dinosaur. Only 512 RAM and
a slow processor. It might install and run, but it would sure be slow
and groggy on my 'puter. Would love to test the new Alpha just for fun,
but not on my computer and not in virtualbox with such modest
machinery.

I've found other little ways to contribute 'til I can get a new 'puter
though!

-Robin

http://robinsrantsandraves.wordpress.com

Old 08-06-2011, 06:20 PM
Drmgiver

With 512 Memory it would be a little difficult.* What Virtualbox
does is takes some of the unused memory and dedicates it to the
guest OS, which means you need memory for both OS's at the same
time.

Justin

Old 09-19-2012, 02:07 PM
Alan Bell

hello, yes I have had problems with 12.10 in virtualbox for sound,

https://launchpad.net/bugs/1016969

it is possible to get to the pulse audio dialog and change the device to
one of the two LFE devices, I can try it again later and provide the
exact key sequence to do so. I didn't tag that bug as an a11y bug
because it is an "audio totally broken for everyone" bug rather than
orca specific issue even though it does mean that Quantal is basically
untestable in virtualbox for blind users. It does boot OK when testing
on real hardware and you get the drums and ctrl+s starts orca as normal.
Ubiquity has changed a bit but I can get all the way through it without
cheating and turning my monitor on, I will do a full keystroke guide and
audio/video at some point pre-release.

Alan.