FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > ArchLinux > ArchLinux General Discussion

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 04-03-2010, 10:01 PM
 
Default Arch Linux Release Question

On Sat, Apr 03, 2010 at 05:59:18PM -0400, Keith Hinton wrote:

> First of all, if anyone is curious as to why I have posted to the
> Arch-General mailing list, I'm mainly doing this, in case any of the
> Arch Release team is actually hanging out on this list.
> I was curious, seeing as the last Arch Linux release was in August of
> last year, if there will be one for the lovely new year of 2010?

There are no 'releases', Arch is continuously updated.
When you install you get the latest versions of everything,
not some release that was frozen some time ago.
After installation update you system e.g. once every few
weeks. This just takes a single command, and you never
have to do full re-install.

Ciao,

--
FA

O tu, che porte, correndo si ?
E guerra e morte !
 
Old 04-04-2010, 07:23 AM
Lukáš Jirkovský
 
Default Arch Linux Release Question

On 4 April 2010 00:01, <fons@kokkinizita.net> wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 03, 2010 at 05:59:18PM -0400, Keith Hinton wrote:
>
>> First of all, if anyone is curious as to why I have posted to the
>> Arch-General mailing list, I'm mainly doing this, in case any of the
>> Arch Release team is actually hanging out on this list.
>> I was curious, seeing as the last Arch Linux release was in August of
>> last year, if there will be one for the lovely new year of 2010?
>
> There are no 'releases', Arch is continuously updated.
> When you install you get the latest versions of everything,
> not some release that was frozen some time ago.
> After installation update you system e.g. once every few
> weeks. This just takes a single command, and you never
> have to do full re-install.
>
> Ciao,
>
> --
> FA
>
> O tu, che porte, correndo si ?
> E guerra e morte !
>

You still need some install CD/Flash/whatewer to do the initial
install and the current one is rather old. I had a lot of headache
caused by the old installer, because I need kernel >=2.6.31 (IIRC
installer contains 2.6.29 or 2.6.30) to install Arch on my notebook.
 
Old 04-04-2010, 07:25 AM
Tobias Powalowski
 
Default Arch Linux Release Question

Am Sonntag 04 April 2010 schrieb Lukáš Jirkovský:
> On 4 April 2010 00:01, <fons@kokkinizita.net> wrote:
> > On Sat, Apr 03, 2010 at 05:59:18PM -0400, Keith Hinton wrote:
> >> First of all, if anyone is curious as to why I have posted to the
> >> Arch-General mailing list, I'm mainly doing this, in case any of the
> >> Arch Release team is actually hanging out on this list.
> >> I was curious, seeing as the last Arch Linux release was in August of
> >> last year, if there will be one for the lovely new year of 2010?
> >
> > There are no 'releases', Arch is continuously updated.
> > When you install you get the latest versions of everything,
> > not some release that was frozen some time ago.
> > After installation update you system e.g. once every few
> > weeks. This just takes a single command, and you never
> > have to do full re-install.
> >
> > Ciao,
> >
> > --
> > FA
> >
> > O tu, che porte, correndo si ?
> > E guerra e morte !
>
> You still need some install CD/Flash/whatewer to do the initial
> install and the current one is rather old. I had a lot of headache
> caused by the old installer, because I need kernel >=2.6.31 (IIRC
> installer contains 2.6.29 or 2.6.30) to install Arch on my notebook.
archboot isos contain .32 kernel located here:
ftp.archlinux.org/isos/archboot

--
Tobias Powalowski
Archlinux Developer & Package Maintainer (tpowa)
http://www.archlinux.org
tpowa@archlinux.org
 
Old 04-04-2010, 07:36 AM
Lukáš Jirkovský
 
Default Arch Linux Release Question

>> You still need some install CD/Flash/whatewer to do the initial
>> install and the current one is rather old. I had a lot of headache
>> caused by the old installer, because I need kernel >=2.6.31 (IIRC
>> installer contains 2.6.29 or 2.6.30) to install Arch on my notebook.
> archboot isos contain .32 kernel located here:
> ftp.archlinux.org/isos/archboot
>
> --
> Tobias Powalowski
> Archlinux Developer & Package Maintainer (tpowa)
> http://www.archlinux.org
> tpowa@archlinux.org
>

The problem is that if you don't know about this address you have
(almost) no chance to find it. Most people will use other distribution
instead. And others (eg. me) spent a day learning how to change a
kernel package in the installation image.

Lukas
 
Old 04-04-2010, 08:31 AM
Dieter Plaetinck
 
Default Arch Linux Release Question

"release team" currently that means me.
yes, i'm working on new images.
see:
http://build.archlinux.org/isos/
http://mailman.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-releng/2010-March/thread.html

progress is rather slow, but there is not so much work anymore, so
they'll come..

Dieter
 
Old 04-04-2010, 10:22 AM
 
Default Arch Linux Release Question

On Sun, Apr 04, 2010 at 09:23:31AM +0200, Lukáš Jirkovský wrote:

> You still need some install CD/Flash/whatewer to do the initial
> install and the current one is rather old. I had a lot of headache
> caused by the old installer, because I need kernel >=2.6.31 (IIRC
> installer contains 2.6.29 or 2.6.30) to install Arch on my notebook.

Either do a netinstall (available from the same image),
or after the basic install do 'pacman -Syu' which will
update everything.

Ciao,

--
FA

O tu, che porte, correndo si ?
E guerra e morte !
 
Old 04-07-2010, 05:44 PM
"David C. Rankin"
 
Default Arch Linux Release Question

On 04/03/2010 04:59 PM, Keith Hinton wrote:
> Hi,
> First of all, if anyone is curious as to why I have posted to the
> Arch-General mailing list, I'm mainly doing this, in case any of the
> Arch Release team is actually hanging out on this list.
> I was curious, seeing as the last Arch Linux release was in August of
> last year, if there will be one for the lovely new year of 2010?
> If someone could get back to me on that question I would for sure appreciate it.
> I hope that all is going well for Arch Linux development!
>
> Talk to you folks later.
> I haven't been as active on this list due to personal commitments but
> do watch for any interesting activity from time-to-time.
> Thanks.
>
>
> Sincere Regards,
>
> --Keith
>


Keith,

As others have noted, Arch Linux is a "rolling-release" distribution and there
is no release 1, 2, etc... like other distributions. What arch puts out are
biannual install sets that are basically just an install set with packages
current through the date they are made. It doesn't matter whether you use the
latest install set or the one from 3 'releases' back, after the first update,
you will have the exact same, current Arch Linux we all have. It is the smartest
way to do a Linux distribution -- hands down. Never again will you be forced to
upgrade or reinstall because your 'release' has reached end of life.

( if the other distros were 1/2 as smart as Arch, they would all be using a
rolling-release model... )


--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC
510 Ochiltree Street
Nacogdoches, Texas 75961
Telephone: (936) 715-9333
Facsimile: (936) 715-9339
www.rankinlawfirm.com
 
Old 04-07-2010, 05:51 PM
Pierre Schmitz
 
Default Arch Linux Release Question

On Wed, 07 Apr 2010 12:44:22 -0500, "David C. Rankin"
<drankinatty@suddenlinkmail.com> wrote:
> ... It doesn't matter whether you use
> the
> latest install set or the one from 3 'releases' back, after the first
> update,
> you will have the exact same, current Arch Linux we all have.

It's not entirely true. You always should install using the latest iso and
it is also important to release new isos regularly. Due to our continuous
updates and changes old isos and especially netinstall are broken. For
example you cannot run a netinstall with an old iso (without updating it
first) due to the switch to xz compressed packages.

--
Pierre Schmitz, https://users.archlinux.de/~pierre
 
Old 04-07-2010, 06:36 PM
Matěj Týč
 
Default Arch Linux Release Question

On Wed, 2010-04-07 at 12:44 -0500, David C. Rankin wrote:

>
> ( if the other distros were 1/2 as smart as Arch, they would all be using a
> rolling-release model... )
>
>

Not true. If you want a distro that "just works", you need to really
test a lot before you change a version of the package and this is
obviously feasible only if you change all versions at the same time.
Arch is more about "do it yourself" than about "just works".
 
Old 04-07-2010, 06:45 PM
"David C. Rankin"
 
Default Arch Linux Release Question

On 04/07/2010 12:51 PM, Pierre Schmitz wrote:
>
> It's not entirely true. You always should install using the latest iso and
> it is also important to release new isos regularly. Due to our continuous
> updates and changes old isos and especially netinstall are broken. For
> example you cannot run a netinstall with an old iso (without updating it
> first) due to the switch to xz compressed packages.
>

Ahh.. busted.,

I missed that completely in my train of thought. But without the change in
package compression it would still hold true. Prior to the xz compression
change, I had had no problems using the 2/09 install media even after the 8/09
install media was released. Thanks for keeping me honest ;-)

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC
510 Ochiltree Street
Nacogdoches, Texas 75961
Telephone: (936) 715-9333
Facsimile: (936) 715-9339
www.rankinlawfirm.com
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 05:09 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org