Old 04-02-2010, 08:21 PM

Default new netinstall image required ?

On Fri, Apr 02, 2010 at 07:57:10PM +0200, Dieter Plaetinck wrote:

> well, if you use the old 2009.8 images which has the old aif, it will
> indeed give problems when you install the latest packages (although
> technically it will mount /mnt/etc, but before it mounts /mnt so it
> gets inaccessible), and this problem exists more then since two weeks.

Many thanks for your reply.

It looks very much like this was the problem, but then
according to my logs the previous install was on 23 March,
actually the machine that is now temporarily replacing the
one I wanted to do today. And this went without any problems,
so whatever changed seems to be quite recent.

I have another question. The next installs will be 3 clones:
identical HW, same packages and configuration, they will run
the same SW at the same time (three audio computation servers,
each taking care of 64 channels). Is there any way to speed
up the process ?

Ciao,

--
FA

O tu, che porte, correndo si ?
E guerra e morte !

Old 04-02-2010, 08:29 PM

On Fri, Apr 02, 2010 at 07:57:10PM +0200, Dieter Plaetinck wrote:

> 2) get a new iso from http://build.archlinux.org/isos/

The site mentions that a *.iso can be used on an USB stick
as well which is new to me. Is anything special required
(apart from the normal 'dd' to copy it) ?

Ciao,

--
FA

O tu, che porte, correndo si ?
E guerra e morte !

Old 04-02-2010, 09:15 PM
Evangelos Foutras

The site mentions that a *.iso can be used on an USB stick
as well which is new to me. Is anything special required
(apart from the normal 'dd' to copy it) ?

Ciao,

Nope, that's the point.

Old 04-02-2010, 10:10 PM

On Sat, Apr 03, 2010 at 12:15:15AM +0300, Evangelos Foutras wrote:

> On 02/04/2010 11:29 μμ, fons@kokkinizita.net wrote:
> >On Fri, Apr 02, 2010 at 07:57:10PM +0200, Dieter Plaetinck wrote:
> >
> >>2) get a new iso from http://build.archlinux.org/isos/
> >
> >The site mentions that a *.iso can be used on an USB stick
> >as well which is new to me. Is anything special required
> >(apart from the normal 'dd' to copy it) ?
> >
> >Ciao,
>
> Nope, that's the point.

:-) I'll never stop being amazed...

Stick ready, will be tested next monday.

Ciao.

--
FA

O tu, che porte, correndo si ?
E guerra e morte !

Old 04-03-2010, 12:18 AM
Damjan Georgievski

>> >The site mentions that a *.iso can be used on an USB stick
>> >as well which is new to me. Is anything special required
>> >(apart from the normal 'dd' to copy it) ?
>> >

>> Nope, that's the point.
>
> :-) I'll never stop being amazed...

syslinux is amazing:
http://syslinux.zytor.com/wiki/index.php/Doc/isolinux#HYBRID_CD-ROM.2FHARD_DISK_MODE

--
damjan

Old 04-03-2010, 08:41 AM
Dieter Plaetinck

On Fri, 2 Apr 2010 20:12:15 +0200
Heiko Baums <lists@baums-on-web.de> wrote:

> Am Fri, 2 Apr 2010 19:57:10 +0200
> schrieb Dieter Plaetinck <dieter@plaetinck.be>:
>
> > well, if you use the old 2009.8 images which has the old aif, it
> > will indeed give problems when you install the latest packages
> > (although technically it will mount /mnt/etc, but before it
> > mounts /mnt so it gets inaccessible), and this problem exists more
> > then since two weeks.
> > http://projects.archlinux.org/aif.git/commit/?id=e478d001f43a61ba27650e1229baf0e8850a0835
> >
> > *if* this is the problem you're having,
> > possible solutions:
> > 1) run LC_COLLATE=c /arch/setup
> > 2) get a new iso from http://build.archlinux.org/isos/
>
> If the old 2009.08 isos don't work correctly anymore

Oops. My above information is incorrect, the old
installer doesn't work anymore when ran from an iso _built from_
the changed initscripts package. the 2009.08 images (core+netinstall)
should still work fine, the issue Fons had must be something else.

> and the new 2010.03 are already released on http://build.archlinux.org/isos/, why
> aren't they released or linked to on
> http://www.archlinux.org/download/ and the mirrors? This is the place
> where new users usually look first to get the install images.

those are unsupported testing images
Dieter

Old 04-03-2010, 08:44 AM
Dieter Plaetinck

On Fri, 2 Apr 2010 22:21:11 +0200
fons@kokkinizita.net wrote:

> I have another question. The next installs will be 3 clones:
> identical HW, same packages and configuration, they will run
> the same SW at the same time (three audio computation servers,
> each taking care of 64 channels). Is there any way to speed
> up the process ?

of course. do an automatic installation instead of a manual one.
Dieter

Old 04-03-2010, 04:09 PM
Flavio Costa

You could try udpcast (http://udpcast.linux.lu/) or dd (man dd)

--
Flvio Coutinho da Costa

Old 04-03-2010, 07:21 PM

On Sat, Apr 03, 2010 at 10:41:29AM +0200, Dieter Plaetinck wrote:

> Oops. My above information is incorrect, the old
> installer doesn't work anymore when ran from an iso _built from_
> the changed initscripts package. the 2009.08 images (core+netinstall)
> should still work fine, the issue Fons had must be something else.

Mmm, back to square 1. Any ideas of what the something
else could be ?

Ciao,

--
FA