Old 04-01-2010, 01:03 PM
Dieter Plaetinck

Default Xz, space savings and delta ... my findings

On Thu, 01 Apr 2010 13:54:56 +0100
Nathan Wayde <kumyco@konnichi.com> wrote:

> Comparing with the delta (between the original packages) which 5.3MB
> it's not a whole lot while allowing more flexibility(IMHO).

I don't see the point. with binary delta's you get smaller packages
and getting the non-changed files "again" doesn't really cause harm,
does it?
In other words: what useful things does this approach allow you to do
that we cannot do right now?

interesting little experiment though. it's always cool to compare
numbers

Dieter

Old 04-01-2010, 01:29 PM
Nathan Wayde

Comparing with the delta (between the original packages) which 5.3MB
it's not a whole lot while allowing more flexibility(IMHO).

I don't see the point. with binary delta's you get smaller packages
and getting the non-changed files "again" doesn't really cause harm,
does it?
In other words: what useful things does this approach allow you to do
that we cannot do right now?

My use-case is for the downgrade scenario where you have upgraded,
then later you realize there is some problem and you no longer have any
old packages.

Now, in theory I could simply rebuild the pkg with local files thus
saving the large download.

But what would be the point if I can simply get the files I need.

Old 04-01-2010, 01:33 PM
ludovic coues

In theory, from what I've understand from archlinux, you can't downgrade by
downloading a package. You must fetch it from pacman's package cache.

So size doesn't matter at all.
But I may be wrong.

--

Cordialement, Coues Ludovic