Old 03-31-2010, 11:31 PM
Brendan Long

Default Debootstrap for Arch?

Is there anything similar to debootstrap for Arch? Debootstrap basically
a command where you give it some options and point it to a partition and
it installs Debian (or a Debian-based distro) onto it.

Old 03-31-2010, 11:34 PM
Daenyth Blank

On Wed, Mar 31, 2010 at 19:31, Brendan Long <korin43@gmail.com> wrote:
> Is there anything similar to debootstrap for Arch? Debootstrap basically
> a command where you give it some options and point it to a partition and
> it installs Debian (or a Debian-based distro) onto it.

I bet you can smash AIF in the right way to get that to happen. Maybe
you should write such a thing

Old 04-01-2010, 01:17 AM
Piyush P Kurur

On Wed, Mar 31, 2010 at 05:31:31PM -0600, Brendan Long wrote:
> Is there anything similar to debootstrap for Arch? Debootstrap basically
> a command where you give it some options and point it to a partition and
> it installs Debian (or a Debian-based distro) onto it.

You can install packages under a particular directroy using the command

pacman -S pkgname -r /gateway/to/hell

So using that you can actually build a chrooted environment and work
your way up.

Somethign like

$ pacman -S base -r /gateway/to/hell
$ mount -t proc /gateway/to/hell/proc

$ chroot bash /gateway/to/hell
$ complete the installation there.

should work.

Regards

ppk

Old 04-01-2010, 01:20 AM
Daenyth Blank

On Wed, Mar 31, 2010 at 21:17, Piyush P Kurur <ppk> wrote:
> You can install packages under a particular directroy using the command
>
> pacman -S pkgname -r /gateway/to/hell
>
> So using that you can actually build a chrooted environment and work
> your way up.
Duh, now why didn't I think of that? There's a wiki page for how to
install arch inside a chroot, use that.

Old 04-01-2010, 01:26 AM
Dwight Schauer

On Wed, Mar 31, 2010 at 7:20 PM, Daenyth Blank <daenyth+arch@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 31, 2010 at 21:17, Piyush P Kurur <ppk> wrote:
>> You can install packages under a particular directroy using the command
>>
>> pacman -S pkgname -r /gateway/to/hell
>>
>> So using that you can actually build a chrooted environment and work
>> your way up.
> Duh, now why didn't I think of that? There's a wiki page for how to
> install arch inside a chroot, use that.

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php?title=Special:Search&search=mkarchroot&g o=Go

There is also mkarchroot which is similar to debootstrap.

You need to install devtools to get mkarchroot.