Old 03-31-2010, 05:01 PM
Thomas Jost

Default Serial To USB Adapter

On Wed, 31 Mar 2010 12:39:06 -0400, Carlos Mennens <carloswill@gmail.com> wrote:
> Guys,
>
> I have a Keyspan USB to Serial adapter. Now I am trying to be able to
> connect to a Cisco switch via console serial cable using the Minicom
> utility. My problem is I don't know how to tell Minicom that my serial
> device is connected to /dev/ttyUSB0 or maybe it already knows & I just
> don't know how to use it...

Hello,

I've never used minicom, but the man page has something about setting
the serial device:

CONFIGURATION
By pressing C-A O you will be thrown into the setup menu.
[...]
Serial port setup
A - Serial device
/dev/tty1 or /dev/ttyS1 for most people.

Otherwise, you can just use GNU screen ("screen /dev/ttyUSB0", or
gtkterm. I've used both of them with a USB to serial adapter and I could
connect to Cisco switches without any problem.

Thomas/Schnouki

Old 03-31-2010, 05:03 PM
Leandro Costa

You can use minicom -s to enter the configuration menu, from there you can
change your serial device.

--
- Arch Linux User - Linux User: #470599.
- Desenvolvedor Java/Python/Web
- Irc: lokidarkeden at freenode.com
- http://www.lokisoftware.com.br/

Old 03-31-2010, 05:30 PM
Helgi Kristvin Sigurbjarnarson

On Wed, Mar 31, 2010 at 02:17:15PM -0400, Carlos Mennens wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 31, 2010 at 1:01 PM, Thomas Jost <schnouki@schnouki.net> wrote:
> > Otherwise, you can just use GNU screen ("screen /dev/ttyUSB0", or
> > gtkterm. I've used both of them with a USB to serial adapter and I could
> > connect to Cisco switches without any problem.
>
> I just installed gtkterm and it worked perfect. My only problem is I
> can't copy / paste from the program. Is there a way I can copy text to
> my clipboard and paste them in a test editor? This is super annoying
> when I am trying to take notes on things I am doing...

Hilighting the text you want to copy and then 'mousebutton 3' where you want to
paste it too (the text editor) works for me.

--
Helgi Kristvin Sigurbjarnarson <helgikrs (at) gmail (dot) com>

Old 03-31-2010, 05:45 PM
Marq Schneider

On Wed, Mar 31, 2010 at 11:39, Carlos Mennens <carloswill@gmail.com> wrote:
> Does anyone know how I can tell my Arch system that I have a USB to
> serial adapter connected to my machine?

If you don't need any of the modem features provided in minicom, I
would recommend trying picocom from AUR [0]. It provides a very
simple interface to a serial console:
$ picocom -b 9600 /dev/ttyUSB0

Old 03-31-2010, 06:17 PM
Carlos Mennens

Old 04-01-2010, 08:46 AM
Manne Merak

Otherwise, you can just use GNU screen ("screen /dev/ttyUSB0", or
gtkterm. I've used both of them with a USB to serial adapter and I could
connect to Cisco switches without any problem.

I just installed gtkterm and it worked perfect. My only problem is I
can't copy / paste from the program. Is there a way I can copy text to
my clipboard and paste them in a test editor? This is super annoying
when I am trying to take notes on things I am doing...

Also take a look at Cutecom in AUR.
Works great for me.

Manne

Old 04-01-2010, 01:11 PM
Snarkout

My experience has been that minicom is the best emulator for interfacing
with serial devices. I have tried as many as I could get my hands on,
too, FWIW ($DAYJOB = noc monkey). IME, If you ever have a large config
you need to drop on a device (or even not-so-large) most others fail in
various ways. 5 AM at the collo with a dead core router is a lousy time
to find out that your *com of choice requires dropping 20 lines at a
time or it starts barfing, and you have a 2000 line config that needs
dropping. JME - others may disagree.

Old 04-20-2010, 07:49 PM
Samuel Tardieu

Snarkout> My experience has been that minicom is the best emulator for
Snarkout> interfacing with serial devices. I have tried as many as I
Snarkout> could get my hands on, too, FWIW ($DAYJOB = noc monkey). IME,
Snarkout> If you ever have a large config you need to drop on a device
Snarkout> (or even not-so-large) most others fail in various ways. 5 AM
Snarkout> at the collo with a dead core router is a lousy time to find
Snarkout> out that your *com of choice requires dropping 20 lines at a
Snarkout> time or it starts barfing, and you have a 2000 line config
Snarkout> that needs dropping. JME - others may disagree.

I do (disagree).

Nothing beats "ckermit".

Sam
--