Old 03-31-2010, 07:14 AM
Alain Muls

Default Getting X running on new install (Ionut Biru)

> On 03/30/2010 06:40 PM, Alain Muls wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > I am using Ubuntu since 2005 and I like it. The only problem is that each
> 6
> > month I am spending some time to update. I have for that 2 root
> partitions
> > available.
> >
> > I heard about Arch Linux and its rolling release and decided to try it
> out.
> >
> > The base install went fine and I have a running core system.
> >
> > So I decided to tackle the X server which under Ubuntu uses the nvidia
> > proprietary driver.
> >
> > I installed
> > pacman -S nvidia
> > nvidia-config
> >
> > and gave startx from my user account a try. No luck, the message was
> cannot
> > load module nvidia.
> >
> > Then I used lshw and the card is loisted as
> > G96 [GeForce 9600 GT]
> > both under Ubuntu and Arch Linux.
> >
> > I uninstalled the nvidia and installed
> > pacman -S nvidia-96xx
> > nvidia-config
> >
> > and again no luck.
> >
> > How can I get this card up and running with full hw support as under
> Ubuntu?
> >
> > Tx/Alain
>
> you should really read beginners guide. everything is covered there.
> everything have to installed. after a core installation be sure to fully
> update the system:
> pacman -Syu
>
> after that you _need_ to install xorg.
> pacman -S xorg
>
> after that you may decide what driver you want to use.
> pacman -S nvidia
>
> --
> Ionut
>

> Hi

That is exactly what I did. I am not a beginner and have read quite some
articles about Arch and I am aware of the fact that I have to follow
carefully all steps in this installation process. So pleas bear with me and
hep me over this problem.

Since it failed I tried to identify the card (I did not know the lshw
command before) and redid the steps with the driver for the nvidia-96xx
card. Again no X-screen. I also copied the xorg.conf from Ubuntu over to
Arch but again no X server that would run. I also tried the nouveau driver
and he is given as error:

(EE) [drm] failed to open device
(EE) No devices detected.

Fatal server error:
no screens found

It is the second time I try to install Arch, I really want to try out this
rolling principle, but again I am unable to get up the X server which is
working without flaws in Ubuntu.

Old 03-31-2010, 11:37 AM
Santhosh Joseph

Hi,
Try Linux Display Driver Version 195.36.15 for GeForce 9600 GT.
-Joseph

Old 03-31-2010, 11:45 AM
Xavier Chantry

On Wed, Mar 31, 2010 at 9:14 AM, Alain Muls <alain.muls@gmail.com> wrote:

> That is exactly what I did. I am not a beginner and have read quite some
> articles about Arch and I am aware of the fact that I have to follow
> carefully all steps in this installation process. So pleas bear with me and
> hep me over this problem.
>
> Since it failed I tried to identify the card (I did not know the lshw
> command before) and redid the steps with the driver for the nvidia-96xx
> card. Again no X-screen. I also copied the xorg.conf from Ubuntu over to
> Arch but again no X server that would run. I also tried the nouveau driver
> and he is given as error:
>
> (EE) [drm] failed to open device
> (EE) No devices detected.
>
> Fatal server error:
> no screens found
>
> It is the second time I try to install Arch, I really want to try out this
> rolling principle, but again I am unable to get up the X server which is
> working without flaws in Ubuntu.

Your card is recent, you don't need the 96xx series, though that
should work as well.
It seems that in both cases (nvidia or nouveau), the module is not
loaded properly.
First choose the one you want, and uninstall/remove the other
completely, as they both conflict with each other.
e.g. if you go with nvidia
# pacman -R nouveau-drm
check which modules are loaded
# lsmod
if you see nouveau or nvidia, then rmmod them
# rmmod nouveau
# rmmod nvidia
Then load the kernel module
# modprobe nvidia